Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Women

Pages: 1
doublejsmomma

Reged: 01/02/03
Loc: PA
BF is positive
      #53580 - 01/03/03 11:55 PM

Well my BF tested positive for HIV...and so of course I am getting tested this coming week. Anyhow BF had this for about 3 years{lot of denial for both of us} but just got tested again b/c of some heart problems.

We just got back together last March...and I tested negative November of 2001. We used protection for the most part...except for 2 or 3 times about 2 weeks after I had my son in April...

What are the chances I might come back positive...and are they higher b/c we had unprotected sex so soon after my son was born?

Any help is greatly appreciated...I am a nervous wreck...and BF is busy dealing with his own test right now. I have a 9 month old son and a 6 year old daughter...I just don't know if I can handle this right now...

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: BF is positive new
      #53582 - 01/04/03 12:09 AM

Depends on a lot of things. Do you know his viral load? The higher his viral load the more likely it is that he can transmit HIV. Don't know if having a child makes you more vulnerable. It's the roll of the dice. If you are lucky, you are negative.

doublejsmomma

You are no help... new
      #53648 - 01/04/03 06:59 PM

No offense but do you honestly think that any of that means a thing to me?

I have a friend who is dieing from AIDS right now...because he did NOT get any kind of treatment and figured it would "go away." Now he is dieing from the complications of AIDS...

I am not that easily led...if I was I wouldn't be asking for my chances I would be saying there is no chance I am going to be positive!

doublejsmomma

Another ? for you... new
      #53663 - 01/04/03 07:15 PM

We won't know his viral load until the 16th when he goes back to the doctor. I assume it may be high since he went so long without treatment...but I really do not know.

My other question is are there any signs or symptoms I should be especially concerned with? I have read that you often get a flu like illness within weeks of infection and I have been dealing with a lot of that type of thing on and off since summer time. Like extreme fatigue, sore throat, and more. I am just wondering if maybe they are signs I should be more worried. Obviously I can't change the results either way but I was just wondering...

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Another ? for you... new
      #53829 - 01/05/03 08:16 AM

The flu-like symptoms only occur around 6 weeks after you are infected....You were exposed long before....The other thing is that if you were bleeding after you had the baby this may put you more at risk....but then again 2-3 times is not a lot....so you can wonder all you want but the only way to tell is to get tested....High viral load worsens your odds...and the state of your immune system is important. If you were feeling run down after the birth of your child this may have meant that you had an immune system that wasn't very strong...
Just get tested cause y ou can drive yourself crazy trying to figure the odds on this. You can find out immediately if you are positive....why not just get tested?

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: BF is positive new
      #53832 - 01/05/03 10:06 AM

hello
Take care. Do not allow emotions rule you. Check in Welcome to the Body's Women& HIV. I saw a great lady please ask her your doubts her email is Marcyaowens@msn.com

Anonymous
Unregistered

#54392 - 01/09/03 12:28 PM

No, flu like symptoms occur average 2 to 3 weeks after infection. 6 weeks is generally out of range. There must be a fever with the flu, a moderate fever, also most cases involve a rash on upper body. Most people get this acute viral syndrome.

Tiffany
Unregistered

#54400 - 01/09/03 02:11 PM

You know the risk you taking everytime your together Aids is a disease you can live a long life with.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#54506 - 01/11/03 10:34 AM

Actually between 10 and 50 percent of people show NO signs of infection. Also when someone does show signs of 'the flu' the fever is not moderate. It is extremely high. Around 102 - 103. Rashes do not occur in most cases.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#54603 - 01/13/03 12:29 AM

They say over 90% of people get flu-like illness, but many don't remember it. Rash with fever is a sign for doctors of this ars syndrome. 101 to 103 fever is moderate towards high, 104 and up would be very high.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4606

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3