Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Women

Pages: 1
nanma3

Reged: 01/23/12
Loc: Michigan
getting older and living with HIV
      #260532 - 01/23/12 06:37 PM

I hit 50 years old last year and it has scared me to death cause I am afraid how getting older and having hiv will mix. I would like to know how some older women are dealing with it, I have been positive for 18+ years . My health is good so far. what are some things to expect or experiences some of you have dealt with.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
riverprincessModerator

Reged: 12/25/11
Loc: Jersey Shore
Re: getting older and living with HIV new
      #260535 - 01/23/12 07:42 PM

FINALLY a woman I can really talk with !!! So nice to meet you nanma. I have been on meds for 17 years and am 53 and proud of it. The age that is. I got to say in most part I'm doing ok. Sure I get nervous especiall when I read that 15 years of meds will actually age your body 20 more years. But I have been having tests done to see if it is really so. My bone density came back great. My back has always been a pain in the butt lol. Butfor me the hardest was the liptrophy ,( facial thinning ) and lipodystrophy, losing muscle mass. That is where I see the body changes. But from what I see now with the change of the "coctail" that doesn't happen much. Funny part is people just think my being thin is genetic and the leg muscles that show are from working out lol . But the one thing that does bother me is that my ass fell off some where and I haven't been able to find it. But seriously when I'm tired , stressed or upset it shows all in my face. But hubby still says I'm beautiful and wishes I would walk about naked or even half so . So beauty is truly in the eyes of the beholder and what woman isn't critical about how she looks.
Are you on meds? If so what are you on and how long have you been on them?

--------------------
Look up to the Heavens for the answers to Lifes questions .

nanma3

#260545 - 01/24/12 03:49 PM

thank-you for replying. I have needed to talk to another woman that is close to my situation. I have to say that I have gone the other route, the meds that they put me on has made me undectable for six years and I have been putting on the weight since. But I am in menopause and it is driving me crazy sometimes. Especially the hot flashes.

riverprincessModerator

#260550 - 01/24/12 07:14 PM

I am pre-menopausal and I still get night sweats. Have you tried joining a local gym? It's not so much the meds causing you to gain but either way a exercise ( I know yuck ) will help out.Is there a local YMCA that you can go swiminat, that is great to help control , or a stationary bike while you watch tv. Just trying to throw out suggestions. I wish you could give some to me,lol I wouldn't refuse it. I got to take tushi cushions to concert events lol . I was thinking of those Fredrick of Holywood padded panties lol. Remember that company ?!. But seriously , don't fret over your weight gain, I know how our weight can bother us but it's whats inside that counts. I look at how my face has changed and walk away from the mirror saying yuck . But how we see ourselves isn't how others do . We are our worst critics. And be careful what other meds you take for the menopause. We got to be careful about any meds that we take now. I'm even careful about cold medicine, I learned the hard way, boy did it make me ill once. The most I'm doing for my cold is cough drops and a decongestant cough medicine. Do you keep yourself busy, still working and such? I just do temp work now . I put in 50 hours a month , which is just under what disability allows. And have started going back to the gym to try to build up whatever I can , plus it just will make me feel better if nothing else. Staying active in any form, whether physical or mental is the key. Hey we're still young with alot to offer.And I plan to offer it no matter what! oh you can pm if you like.

--------------------

nanma3

#260765 - 01/30/12 03:23 PM

I got the latest update on my blood tests and the medicine I am taking is doing great. I never thought I would ever see fifty let alone any of my kids graduate from high school. But I have two graduate from college and my oldest daughter got married and I have three granddaughters. I am able to work full time and I thank God that he has allowed me to live. I think it has to do with survivor's guilt, It is time to get over it and do something positive with being positive.

riverprincessModerator

#260771 - 01/30/12 07:07 PM

Enjoy your new " birthday" nanma. It;s time you got to stage three where the greens are greener, yellows brighter and what once you thought was a big problem now seems sooo insignificant. Welcome to life as you've never seen it before !!!

--------------------

sallyjoseph

Reged: 01/05/13
      #270090 - 01/11/13 01:15 AM

Hi nanma3
Its really sad but i don't have any idea about that. Ask to your doctor about all this things.

blueagave10

Reged: 01/20/13
Loc: Tucson, AZ
      #270291 - 01/20/13 08:43 PM

Hi, I was diagnosed at age 58. I'll be 65 in July. I've been disabled with a previous health condition since 2003..

What has worked for me is not staying home worrying. I got involved with all the ASOs and volunteered with other groups. There are 2 support groups I attend regularly - a women's group at my clinic and a hetero group at our aso. I'm also starting a nonprofit for women living with... since there are no targeted services for us. Keep your chin up.

--------------------
Barb
www.powersourcetucson.org

cybersecretary

Reged: 10/25/12
      #271897 - 05/01/13 11:30 AM

i am 52, pos for 20 years.. now the menopause! eratic periods. used to be clockwork.
missed 2 months of a period again(this happened last year) then had one April 15 .. with very sore breasts.. now my breasts are still sore seem larger. lipo? hormones? been on new cocktail for 7 months reyataz sentries abacavir cd4 896!

never know if i will bleed or not.

also have a long pain story...won't go into this now..but have extreme bone muscle joint pain for over a year debilitating and lost quality of life..
my gyn knows about the pain she does not know. hiv docs do not know..

ah..hoping to be done with menopause and perhaps pain will go away.
i have a great stress free life (docs say it is anxiety!) loving family etc IDK
thanks for listening

riverprincessModerator

#271901 - 05/02/13 08:12 AM

You have discribed what I was going through completely. Are you spotting on and off? I too was having discomfort and was diagnoses with a fibroid. What confused my gyn was that at 55 I had no symptoms of menopause and my estrogen was very high. So after putting up with all this for a year I just went to a gyn urologist and went for a total hysterectomy. Yeah it was a big rough and the flashes and night sweats try to drive me crazy. There is some good info here in The Body . It's not easy being female. As for how your meds may be affecting your body , I really can't say . I'm not even sure ID's know either . It may just be your timing of changing meds and menopausal stuff. How long has the menstrual stuff been going on before meds? Our body still goes through menstrual changes even if we no longer have the bleeding. Why don't you pm me and we can talk more about the joys and blessings of womanhood. lol Hang in there girl . perhaps this too shall pass !

--------------------

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4297

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3