Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

HIV Health and Treatment Issues >> Treatment & Side Effects

Pages: 1
Danigirl

Reged: 02/19/13
Isentress plus Kaletra
      #270920 - 03/02/13 09:43 AM

Has anyone taken a combination of Isentress and Kaletra? My husbands ID doctor called in this prescription after he had a reaction from the Atripla. We are new at this but I understand that traditionally the two aren't given together. The only thing I found on it was a article from 2011 showing that a research study found it to be effective... Has anyone had this combo? If so how did it work?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
oksikoko

Reged: 02/26/13
Loc: NYC
Re: Isentress plus Kaletra new
      #271134 - 03/14/13 02:27 PM

Hi, Danigirl!

I wonder if the doctor prescribed this since he wasn't sure what component of Atripla caused the adverse reaction... I know a few people on Isentress and Truvada (emtricitabine + tenofovir), but I haven't heard of anyone on Kaletra (lopinavir + ritonavir) and Isentress. Don't worry, though! I don't know too many positive people, so my not knowing anyone on that regimen doesn't mean much. I'd also like to hear from anyone else on this combo.

The 2 components in Truvada are 2 of the 3 in Atripla (emtricitabine + tenofovir), and the doctor may have simply wanted to avoid them all since your husband didn't respond well to Atripla. I suspect it was the efavirenz in the Atripla and not the two NRTIs, but I'm not a doctor! I base that solely off of things I've heard from people in forums and off my own very limited experience with efavirenz.

How's your husband doing now?

--------------------
I'm sorry. I can't hear you over this popcorn.

Danigirl

#271163 - 03/16/13 01:49 PM

Hi Oksikoko,

I know, the combination is unusual. I asked the doctor about it yesterday and he said that because of the reaction my husband had he decided to go with that particular combination. I'm a little nervous because I really have heard of no one else taking it. I did see one article saying that the combination can be successful. I guess we will see when my husband gets his labs done again in early April. Keep you posted!

AIDS2HIV
Unregistered

Post deleted by Becky new
      #271187 - 03/17/13 01:02 PM

Danigirl

#271215 - 03/18/13 02:08 PM

Hello "AIDS2HIV",

I am curious how this particular combination (Isentress and Kaletra) has worked out for others. From what I understand the two are normally not given together. Normally they are given separately with another medication such as Isentress and Truvada. I have yet to find anyone who have used the combination that my husband is on but we will see how it works out. He gets more labs done in the beginning of next month.

Danigirl

#271742 - 04/19/13 10:48 PM

Update: My husband just got his new lab results. On this combination his VL went down from over 150k to less than 200. However, his CD4 only went from 28 to 48:/

PozInAmarillo

Reged: 07/29/14
Loc: Texas
      #277412 - 07/29/14 08:28 PM

My combo is Isentress, Kaletra and Intelence. It works! It was a combination I suggested to the doc. He didnt want to do it because it was not a standard protocol. However I had failed everything we had tried up to that point. I have been undetectable ever since with zero sides. I could not be happier.

--------------------
Nobody can give you HIV. You have to take it.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  bogart, TheBody, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2504

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3