Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Health and Treatment Issues >> Treatment & Side Effects

Pages: 1
melisss19195
New User

Reged: 05/09/12
Confused on decision to take meds...
      #262981 - 05/09/12 08:27 PM

So I am newly diagnosed with HIV and am trying to deal with this the best that I can. I visited my ID doctor today and my c4 count was 680 and my viral load is 5,160... So he suggested that I start a regimen, so that my c4 count doesn't lower and cause me any issues. I am in great shape, with no symptoms (ever) of HIV I was diagnosed a few months ago, but have no idea when I contracted the virus; however I know from who. I was always tested and always had a negative test.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tcocoa

Reged: 07/19/07
Re: Confused on decision to take meds... new
      #262982 - 05/09/12 09:09 PM

Ask yourself if you feel that you will be 100% committed to taking the meds as directed and never missing doses. I find that the best adherance is when ppl are committed to it. Having HIV is a life changing event but you can still have a great quality of life if you take care of yourself. Your numbers are good but you want that viral load to become undetectable. Whatever decision you make always work closely with your ID dr and become an advocate for yourself and do as much research and become knowledgeable about this disease. I wish you the best in whatever you do.

melisss19195
New User

Reged: 05/09/12
      #263003 - 05/10/12 06:31 PM

Thanks for your response and your insight. If I do decider to take them, I will give it 100%. I don't like to half do anything especially not something pertaining to me being healthy. What is your story as it pertains to HIV? I do not know anyone personally with the virus, other than my ID doctor

riverprincessModerator
Veteran

Reged: 12/25/11
Loc: Jersey Shore
      #263014 - 05/11/12 06:47 PM

Taking meds is a good thing. Has your doctor mentioned doing a geno typing on you? I have been on meds for 18 years now. Though you may feel fine your system is going to become suseptable . You can pm if you want. There is alot of well informed folks here. so any questions you might have feel free to ask . You now have a new life to live and it can be wonderful still , even better in a strange way.

--------------------
Look up to the Heavens for the answers to Lifes questions .

tcocoa

Reged: 07/19/07
      #263019 - 05/12/12 01:41 PM

Well, i did not find out about my status until i was 4 months into my second marriage and happy with two teen agers and pregnant with my last and third child. i suspect i contracted it from my first husband because my numbers were still pretty good and since i immediately went on meds to prevent transmission to my unborn child I never even wanted to know about how long i had it. fortunately my 15 yr old daughter is healthy, happy and hiv free and my hubby is also negative although we dated and lived together having unprotected sex for almost 4 yrs. my two older kids were negative also so i narrowed it down to my first husband, his drug abuse and our frequent break ups and me not knowing where he was or what he was doing. I blame me for not being more proactive with my body and protecting myself. i forgave him and i focused on my health and my life and my marriage. im now divorced again and im just piecing my life back together and being still. anytime you want to pm me you can and i would be more than happy to talk and answer any of your questions. i wish you all the best on this new journey.

riverprincessModerator
Veteran

Reged: 12/25/11
Loc: Jersey Shore
      #263024 - 05/12/12 09:08 PM

Well your at the right place for much info . And please stop by the womans posting. Though we all share the sme meds , how our bodies react can be very different from men. And women stay too silent when it comes to talking about thier own health issues. We really do need to stand up , link arm in arm and learn from each other. What we think is too embarrassing to talk about other women are going through the same thing. And any time you want to talkprivate you can pm me. I've been p[os for 20 years on meds for 18.

--------------------
Look up to the Heavens for the answers to Lifes questions .

Pos_in_Thailand
Regular

Reged: 02/01/11
Loc: Thailand
      #263387 - 05/31/12 09:46 PM

Hi,

I was in a similar situation when I started, and all the literature I found showed that starting meds early greatly improved longevity and overall long term quality of life and health. My doctor agreed with this and we started immediately. I don't regret it at all, and enjoy the peace of mind I have knowing that I'm doing all I can to help my body deal with this virus. Also, it helps me feel more in control of my health and my situation.

Please contact me if you want to talk more. Good luck to you and keep in touch!

Pos_in_Thailand
Regular

Reged: 02/01/11
Loc: Thailand
      #263388 - 05/31/12 09:48 PM

Definitely get the genotyping done! That is very valuable information for you and your doctor to be able to plot your course of action from here.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  bogart, TheBody, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3290

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3