Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

HIV Health and Treatment Issues >> Treatment & Side Effects

Pages: 1
poz10yrs

Reged: 12/16/10
Lab, med change, confusion
      #253562 - 12/16/10 02:08 PM

Labs of last year have shown a vload range between <400 and 793, with <400 being most recent; CD4 percentage range from 31% to 34%, with 33% being most recent. Taking only Viramune and Combivir -a test has recently shown resistance to viramune. Does this information warrant a stronger regimen/change in meds. Does it suggest any stability without relation to meds? Have meds even been helping for the last year, if one has not been effective? Any thoughts will help... thanks!

--------------------
Being positive is the beginning of a lifetime of change.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jackie__Blue
Legend

Reged: 01/20/07
Re: Lab, med change, confusion new
      #253571 - 12/16/10 06:45 PM

If you have a resistance to Viramune you need something else. It is in a class called NNRTIs, Non-Nucleoside Reverse Transcriptase Inhibitors.

Yes, your viral load could have been somewhat controlled by Combivir, since it is two drugs, not one. However, since the viral load is not being controlled you put yourself at risk for resistance to build up with the Combivir also.

If you've been on medication and showing a viral load for the last year, your doctor should have ordered a resistance test after about the second results showing a viral load. It is possible that if you are resistant to this one, you may be resistant to other drugs in that class and a genotype will be able to tell you that.

Get that test before switching meds so you have the information needed to make an effective change.

poz10yrs

#253588 - 12/17/10 10:29 PM

Yes, doctor had me do a genotype in november and just got back to me that the results show resistance to Viramune. Dr is wanting to change to Viread, Zidovudine, Norvir, and Reyataz.
It just seems as though not much has changed over the last year, and that is why I was questioning the change.
I still have doubts, given that viral load is only a count of whats in the blood, and CD4% has remained in the low to mid 30's.
Trying to absorb all of this. Thanks for your input Jackie!

--------------------

poz10yrs

#253596 - 12/18/10 01:55 PM

So if meds don't arrive in time, is it better to take the combivir and viramune anyway until then, or not at all, since viramune was found not to be working?

--------------------

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  bogart, TheBody, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2450

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3