The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Health and Treatment Issues >> Treatment & Side Effects

Pages: 1
Jon316

Reged: 04/13/10
Kill HIV with Photopheresis, Ultra-Violet Blood Irradiation (UBI) Therapies?
      #250041 - 04/13/10 05:26 PM

I've read a little about Photopheresis and Ultra-Viole Blood Irradiation (UBI) therapies being performed by M.D.'s across the U.S., Europe, Russia and Germany. It seems that these procedures have been done for quite some time, but fell out of popularity with the advent of big pharmaceutical firms in the 1960s. The concept of UBI seems simple and the procedure is easy and it appears that it would be very beneficial to people with HIV. Doctors all over the world, including at Yale University, perform the procedure for Auto-Immune System Disorders, cancers or colds, Flu, etc. So, why isn't this therapy recommended by doctors for people living with HIV and why aren't our doctors promoting research? It's also reasonably priced, painless, and easy to perform. Would this help HIV patients if it was performed once or twice a year or used as an alternative to pill therapy? Does anyone have experience with or more information about these types of therapies?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jackie__Blue
Legend

Reged: 01/20/07
Re: Kill HIV with Photopheresis, Ultra-Violet Blood Irradiation (UBI) Therapies? new
      #250044 - 04/13/10 06:56 PM

I looked over a bit of information I googled about it. I does seem to have a reasonable basis, but as you said, the therapy fell out of favor with the advent of pharacutecials. Perhaps that is because medication is more effective. I don't know.

I do think there is a big obstacle for it to be an effective therapy against HIV. It, like the medications only act against the virus that is actively in the blood and replicating. Neither has any effect over the virus that is in resting state within the gut and lymph nodes. Once therapy is stopped for any lenght of time the virus that is in a resting state will start to replicate.

It will be interesting to see what may come of it.

cybersecretary

Reged: 10/25/12
Re: Kill HIV with Photopheresis, Ultra-Violet Blood Irradiation (UBI) Therapies? new
      #273143 - 07/24/13 12:26 AM

i see this is a few years old.. but wondered if any one knew if science was working on this?

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  bogart, TheBody, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 24406

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3