HIV Life >> I Just Tested Positive

Pages: 1
Mark100

Reged: 02/23/13
Loc: Montreal, Canada
Question about HIV home test kits.
      #274370 - 11/13/13 11:21 AM

Hey Guys,
so I was diagnosed with HIV on Feb 20th of this year and have been on meds since March (Kivexa and Isentress). When I first realized I was infected I was in shock because I hadn't done anything risky (except for oral which is considered low risk). So shortly after I was diagnosed I ordered an HIV test kit just to test to prove to myself that it was real (I think everyone has these doubts at the beginning). Anyhoo, months go past and the tests never came in. I had contacted the company a few weeks after they didn't arrive because they guaranteed that it would arrive within 10 business days. Again, I heard nothing back. Anyway, just last week when I was away on vacation the HIV tests came in with an explanation that my order somehow got lost so they just sent it out now and included 2 extra tests for free. I was like, ok, a little late aren't we. Anyway I opened it up and there were 3 hiv tests. Anyway just for curiosity sake I decided to do them this morning just to see how they work. Anyway I did the first one according to the instructions which were very easy to follow and it actually came back negative. So I did the second one because I figured that I did something wrong and it came back positive. So I did the last one and it came back negative as well. So my question is, WHAT THE HELL?!?! Are you telling me someone who is positive can do these tests and 2 out of 3 times it will tell you that they're negative?!?! I checked the expiry dates on the packages and they all expire in 2015, so the tests are still good. And they are from the company Icare, and from reading about there tests they seem like a good company.

Anyway I don't doubt I have hiv, I'm assuming the ways they test for it with their high tech equipment is more accurate than an at home hiv test but does anyone have an explanation to what might be going on here?

Thanks guys,
Mark

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mark100

Reged: 02/23/13
Loc: Montreal, Canada
Re: Question about HIV home test kits. new
      #274371 - 11/13/13 11:49 AM

Ooops, the 2 other tests they sent me were to test for other types of diseases :P That would make sense then. Well at least I don't have syphillis or hep B
Sorry about the confusion.
Mark

anotherday

Reged: 05/15/13
Loc: Alberta, Canada
      #274374 - 11/13/13 11:34 PM

Damn that fine print! Well hope you are comfortable with your HIV test and being positive and all. It's not such a big deal when you accept it into your life.

As for those mail order tests or over the counter test things, like all those I still believe the doctor has the final say, those can be used just as a guide line. Kinda like those pregnancy tests for women, eventually they have to go to the doctor for the big official test, but atleast the over the counter gets them thinking!

Stick with the tried and true ... doctor!!!!

--------------------
anotherday ... in paradise!
daily ponder ... be the reason someone smiles today!

Angel_Ronnie
Guru

Reged: 06/01/06
Loc: Gauteng, South Africa
      #274376 - 11/14/13 05:18 AM

Hi Mark,

it has been known that self test kits isn't 100% accurate and can give false positives the best is the WB & Ilisa(sp?) which is the better option.

I for one went back four times to have my doctor retest as i was in such a state of disbelieve couldn't accept that i have the dreded disease but that was in 2006. It is normal to double check. i am now in a position where i am comfortable with it and have accepted that life is still good and there are so many things i would like to do my little bucket list.

i've traveled into africa quite a few times and when i go through customs and arrivals it is quite awesome because now i have the attitude can you see it? No. so yes deal with it the best way YOU can and you will know in time life is still the same you just have to make more changes to cope and accept that you're still the same person.

--------------------
"Live for today, because what you do today is what you use to make your future"

iam1
Fanatic

Reged: 06/17/09
Loc: Georgia
      #274602 - 12/29/13 10:16 PM

Mark, I'm glad for your own peace of mind you retook the test. Even if that meant taking it at home.

I'm of a divided mind about home testing. I love that people can get the test and at least (hopefully) start to get in the path towards treatment if they have HIV. But, I hate that the test is being offered. No counseling. No follow-up. No referral to a treatment clinic. Finding out you're HIV+ can be emotionally traumatic. You often need someone there who can answer questions, offer advice, or just hold your hand.

It is good to hear about your Hep-B and Syphilis tests. Those are 2 infections that seem to be running rampant through the community these days. Syphilis used to be fairly easy to treat, but thanks to idiots not taking their meds as prescribed no longer so.

You're on meds, so your clinic would have done blood tests to confirm a positive test result. As much as you don't want to believe all this is reality it is true. Be sure to follow their treatment advice. Ask questions if you want, but don't just not believe what they have to tell you.

Leapfrog

Reged: 12/25/13
      #274628 - 01/02/14 05:56 PM

ICare is a very good company, There a pin off of JLJ Innovations in SIngapore. I have used them.They are USAID, FGA, ISO approved in fact i have used them. But i settle now days with the oraquck,. Good luck stay healthy and god speed

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1809

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3