Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> I Just Tested Positive

Pages: 1
Rmp2012

Reged: 07/01/13
Tested positive today. Overwhelming anxiety and fear
      #272870 - 07/01/13 08:44 PM

All,
Tested positive today. Now I'm obsessively looking up facts and statistics freaking myself out. Have plans to see a doctor immediately. I'm just really scared.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tippytu

Reged: 05/16/13
Re: Tested positive today. Overwhelming anxiety and fear new
      #272872 - 07/01/13 10:01 PM

Wish I could help you but I'm recently diagnosed myself & scared also..hopefully some of the mods or others will answer you soon...hang in there

Cristian

Reged: 06/03/13
      #272877 - 07/02/13 02:02 AM

The day will pass...and you might even block the memory of it, like in my case...(I remember parts of it...certain details are completely blocked...). I will be thinking of you, my friend...whoever you are, wherever you are. If needed, contact me at cristianrey73@yahoo.com
Hugs...and don't be scared...it will all pass...
C.

KevinMA

Reged: 07/02/13
      #272883 - 07/02/13 07:12 PM

Tested positive myself in mid-May. I sympathize with how you feel - it is a jumble of feelings that are overwhelming. As many people on these boards say, however, this is not the end - it's just a new beginning.

I was diagnosed during a bad bout with pneumonia. I'd been feeling fatigued, run down, - basically not able to get out of my own way most of the time. I attributed it work stress, home responsibilities and ultimately the pneumonia until that test came back. In that moment, when the doctor said the words, my first thought was - well, that probably explains why I've felt like crap all this time.

When I was finally alone, I went through all kind of feelings - how could I be so stupid to get myself into this, how irresponsible I was, what is this going to mean for the rest of my life? Thankfully I have a great support system in my family who I told pretty immediately and they've been so supportive.

I started treatment on Atripla at the end of May and just had my blood drawn to see how I'm responding to treatment. I'm anticipating that things will be looking good - mainly because after just a few doses (4 days) - I woke up feeling better than I had in months. Maybe it's more of a "wishful thinking" kind of effect. But in my case, it's only been getting better and better. My energy level has returned, my appetite is back, I'm feeling better and better every day.

Don't get me wrong. The doctor told me that it would 6 months or more before we'd know if things were really working with this particular drug. But, based on how I feel everyday I'm very optimistic that we'll be seeing things going in the right direction. I'm being careful not to let my expectations get too high - I'm simply tying how I feel with the idea that the Atripla is doing what it's supposed to be doing.

As everyone here says it does get better. It will get easier. You'll have good days and bad days. You just need to take it one day at a time.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or just want someone to talk to.

anotherday

Reged: 05/15/13
Loc: Alberta, Canada
      #272886 - 07/03/13 02:26 AM

It's a new day, it'll be a little different, but like I tell most people stay the way you were before HIV and it will be just a small addition to a great person!
Live your life, don't let HIV live it for you!

--------------------
anotherday ... in paradise!
daily ponder ... be the reason someone smiles today!

jojos

Reged: 07/16/13
      #273046 - 07/16/13 03:10 AM

Yes, to have a plan is very important. It will be find. Don't be scared. For support and love from other people living with herpes, I suggest __ HerpesWoo.com __. It's reliable, safe, private and comfortable.

riverprincessModerator

Reged: 12/25/11
Loc: Jersey Shore
      #273052 - 07/16/13 10:26 AM

Glad your doing ell Kevin . Life does continue to go on

iam1
Fanatic

Reged: 06/17/09
Loc: Georgia
      #273157 - 07/24/13 04:01 PM

As a person who's been living with this disease for a quarter century let me be the first to tell you that you are going to live until you die. HIV or not no one has an expiration date stamped on the bottom of their foot. The saying used to be the only certainties in life were taxes and death. There are ways to avoid the first.

I'll tell you what I tell everybody newly positive - you aren't the first. You won't be the last. (Wish it were so....)

For years the media has covered HIV like it's an instant death sentence. Long ago in the past that was almost true. No more. With current meds and medical staffs full of knowledge you can expect to live a long life.

I remember reading a CDC report from 2005 that said a person with AIDS (advanced HIV) had a life expectancy of 3 to 5 years. I had been diagnosed with AIDS 6 years before. I tell everyone I either died and didn't know it, or I was too stupid to die. Here it is years later, and I'm going better now than I was then.

I think what's the scariest (and feel free to correct me) is the "unknowing". We who have been dealing with this disease for many years do know. You who are recently diagnosed don't. Give yourself time. There are tons of information to learn. But, you have years to learn it. Most of it on this website!

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4104

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3