Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

HIV Life >> I Just Tested Positive

Pages: 1
helpmeunderstand

Reged: 12/05/12
Labs Update
      #272604 - 06/18/13 06:59 PM

I have been poz diagnosed poz for about six months now. Think i was infected a year ago this month. Just wanted to do a quick update with my lab numbers.
I just got back from doc appointment. My first labs were cd4 454, VL 10,600, Seconds labs were cd4 415, VL 10,190. My newest labs were cd4 593, VL 6,640. That was a goods start to the day. Hopefully i will be able to hold off the meds for another six months before i start.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
iam1
Fanatic

Reged: 06/17/09
Loc: Georgia
Re: Labs Update new
      #272693 - 06/24/13 03:43 PM

You didn't say if you're on meds. Being that your numbers are this good I wouldn't think so, yet.

You've noticed your viral load going down. This is an excellant thing! You want to have a viral load as low as possible. A high viral load can lead to other health issues.

People today live in a world of "Star Trek". They think everything should happen instantaneously. Even when you take meds it takes time for your viral load to go down.

You'll also notice that your CD4 number is constantly changing. This is something I try to stress to the community where I'm involved. EVERYTHING can and will affect that count. What time you get up in the morning. If you drink coffee. If you watch cartoons vs the news. Stress is a major factor in your life that you need to keep under control. How many steps you take walking to the door. Your CD4 count changes constantly. Usually by very small amounts on an hour-to-hour scale. But, by bigger numbers over the months between blood tests.

DON'T PANIC!

When you have a cold and have to get blood work done your numbers will vary. When you get an innoculation your numbers will vary. When you start excercising your numbers will vary.

Over time (many years for some of us) the blood tests form a pattern. That's what the doctors will be looking for. They'll notice the little blips of a viral load or a CD4 count going suddenly up or down. But, because this is a long term disease and not one that's going to strike you down the day after you become infected the doctors will look at several blood tests to see how you're doing.

I hope you're not afraid of needles. These three labs are just the beginning. I figure over the years since I started having blood work done they've taken a couple gallons. Usually through the butterfly in the back of the hand. (My choice, and no, it doesn't hurt me.)

helpmeunderstand

Reged: 12/05/12
      #272800 - 06/28/13 05:21 PM

Hi and thanks for your reply and informative words. No i am not on meds just yet. I am definitely taking steps to cut down the stress and live a healthier more productive life. I hope you have a wonderful and blessed day. Dnt be a stranger either

iam1
Fanatic

Reged: 06/17/09
Loc: Georgia
      #273158 - 07/24/13 04:08 PM

I got my labs back. I've been going to the doctor for so many years that we don't start off talking about HIV. There are other health issues that can become more important (believe it or not.)

First thing my doctor told me was my kidney function was normal. My blood sugar is good. My viral load is below 50 so classified as undetectable. (Still there, but in minute quantities thanks to the meds!) And, my CD4 is over 700. Better than his.

I've been living with this disease for many years. If you do what your doctors tell you to do so will you!

anotherday

Reged: 05/15/13
Loc: Alberta, Canada
      #273172 - 07/25/13 04:08 AM

You know that's the way I look at it too, my team of nurses and doctors are doing an awesome job ... I am so proud of them!

I am still considered quite new to all this (Feb/13) but from day one, I told them, you take care of the medical stuff, I take care of living and it has been a formula that has been working wonders ever since.

Doc keeps asking side effects ... nothing ... taking meds a prescribed ... yes ... eating healthy ... sort of ... okay your free to go! He claims my Atripla use is the best he has seen in a long time, well how it works for me. He explained how it could be several months or even a year before my CD4 count gets built back up but not to worry, so I don't, he can have that worry ... he's the doctor!

They all tell me "your the happiest HIV patient we have ever had" so of course I have to tell them "it's just because I am getting a chance to see you today" ... we have a great working relationship and that is what is needed. Put trust and faith in your medical team and they really can work miracles!

--------------------
anotherday ... in paradise!
daily ponder ... be the reason someone smiles today!

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1927

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3