Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> I Just Tested Positive

Pages: 1
Kirkhaven1

Reged: 06/15/13
Chances of False Positives? Maybe Im In Denial
      #272555 - 06/15/13 10:09 PM

Hi there TB!
I do not know if this is my denial or if it is just being hopeful. In any case, i was diagnosed Positive by the use of a rapid and then a secondary test, i am not sure if it was an ELISA? but after the second positive, 2 vials of my blood were taken from vein and sent to a lab for what id assume would be PCR and Western Blot testing? I am currently awaiting these results.

In the last 6 months ive had 3 sexual partners one of which is my boyfriend. We have ALWAYS used protection and there have never been any condom breakages, the only thing unprotected was oral, which if im not mistaken does not carry the same amount of risk as penetrative. My last result came back negative in January, and i test regularly (every 4-6 months)

While i am beginning to accept reality, and have begun to attend support/mental crisis backup the results have left me a little confused and bewildered as i have always gone to lengths to be safe and sensible

My questions are

1.What tests / test order are standard when being tested in clinic? Is it Rapid , ELISA then Western/PCR? Just want to know how confirmatory the tests are before the lab work comes back.

2. Is there still a possibility of there being false positives produced after the use of two different tests have returned?

While symptoms alone cannot be a solid indicator for the presence of HIV, i havent experienced any sort of seroconversion (besides the stress and anxiety i now have)

Any advice or answer would be greatly appreciated

Thankyou and sorry for my post appearing mis or disorganised
Kirk

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
notinterested
All Star

Reged: 09/07/11
Re: Chances of False Positives? Maybe Im In Denial new
      #272556 - 06/16/13 12:59 AM

Hello,
I can tell you we've seen many posts like yours and some of us if not most of us have been in your shoes. You should hope for the best but be prepared for what you've already been told. Just know, if you are positive, you will be ok. It may take time to set in, but in time all will be well. Just find a good doctor that you like and take time for yourself if you need it. Take care and peace.

anotherday

Reged: 05/15/13
Loc: Alberta, Canada
      #272560 - 06/16/13 09:45 AM

It's not the end all if your positive and two tests could be a solid indicator, but I always like the doctor/clinic blood taken and tested method for anything whether it be HIV or diabetes or anything really ... the blood is the tell tale of everything going on in the body, so they tell me!
It is good though that you are attending support groups and getting some focus, keep that up until your tests are 100%, and then of course after you get your results. Keep in mind HIV is not an "end of the world" thing, it just changes your life plan slightly (usually just a few doctors appts., meds, and disclosure in intimate situations) other than that, it's really not that bad!
Denial is understandable, it happens to the best of us ... the "it could never happen to me" thing, well for me that's left to a major lottery win now ... everything else has kinda happened to me already! Not that HIV was one of those never happen to me things, there's always a slight risk, nothing is 100% anymore in the world (except again for me winning a lottery).
This I guess is where I would say Good luck, so yeah, Good Luck positive or negative ... your life will go on, you'll still be the same Kirk you were yesterday, if you have HIV, still the same, just with a slight addition ... life is what we make of it and once you have weaved HIV into yours, it still continues on! I know sounds cliche, heard that time and time again ... but occassionally, especially with HIV (or probably those with cancer or diabetes or whatever), sometimes those old cliches carry alot of meaning, and we all go "damn, now I get it!"

--------------------
anotherday ... in paradise!
daily ponder ... be the reason someone smiles today!

iam1
Fanatic

Reged: 06/17/09
Loc: Georgia
      #272627 - 06/19/13 05:10 PM

First - I am NOT a medical expert. What I say is from what I've learned over the years.

Most people get an HIV test using a rapid test either oral or blood. Both these tests are over 99% accurate each time.

When a person gets a positive result we require a followup test to get confirmation. This is a Western Blot. It is considered next to 100% accurate each and every time. The ELISA test is used to look for antibodies for HIV. This is what the oral swab tests for, too. If all these tests continue to return with positive results you ARE HIV+. (Not the weakest link....)

Blod tests can easily take a week to 10 days to get results back. They'll call you into the office to give you results whether positive or negative. With a positive reslut they'll work with you to get you into care. PLEASE stay in care. It can mean the beginning of a very long life if you do!

The possibility of having continued false positives is so remote that I can't recall ever having heard of it happening.

Don't rely on seroconversion to give you an indication of being HIV+. With many people the symptoms are so innocuous to be mistaken for a 2 day cold at most. Your skin doesn't turn bright green. Your hair doesn't turn blue. Ballons don't suddenly appear over your head announcing to the world that you have HIV. This is the problem with this disease and why 20% of infected Americans don't know they're infected.

It could have been any of your last 3 partners. Find a way to calmly tell each of them to get tested. Many clinics offer to tell your partners anonymously for you if you choose to go that route. HIV doesn't have "symptoms" and if one of them has it they may not realize it. If all 3 test negative than you'll need to start looking further back. (But they should still get tested regularly through life.) HIV can be in your body for years without causing any problems.

DaveSF

Reged: 01/14/09
Loc: San Francisco, CA
      #272628 - 06/19/13 05:16 PM

I don't want to get your hopes TOO far up, but all of the "first tier" HIV tests can have "false positives", and the rapid tests (especially the Oraquick test, which was probably the first one you had) have a higher rate of false positives than the Elisa test. If the secondary test that was performed was another rapid test (there are several types) than it, too, COULD be wrong.

Blood testing would typically be the Elisa test first. If that is positive, then the Western Blot is performed (the WB can have false negatives, but never false positives.). If both tests say positive, then infection is confirmed. PCR test looks for the virus itself, rather than antibodies detected by the other tests. It is not really meant as a diagnosis of infection but if it does return a viral load, then infection is confirmed.

Given your reported sexual history, it seems as if infection is unlikely, but not impossible. I'd hold out some hope that the rapid tests are wrong, but prepare yourself for the possibility that they're not. As someone who has lived with HIV for most of my life, positive more than thirty years, I can confirm that HIV is not the end of the world. It's a condition to be monitored and managed, but you can live a wonderful and full life to a ripe old age. I certainly plan to keep doing so!

Good luck, I hope the blood tests turn out to be negative.

benme

Reged: 06/24/13
      #272681 - 06/24/13 10:15 AM

good luck with u

--------------------
http://www.Privatehivdating.com is the safe and anonymous HIV dating site

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3737

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3