Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> I Just Tested Positive

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
lostnstl314

Reged: 04/24/13
Just tested Postive and less than 9 months left on school to become Nurse Practioner
      #271803 - 04/24/13 04:03 PM

I just found out yesterday that i am positive for hiv. I have never been sick and also have used condoms with previous partners. I am lost for a answer, but honestly cant dwell on why but to move forward. I donated blood and found out that way. I dont know how long I have been infected or when.
But the problem that is keeping me awake is im currently a BSN at a local small town hospital where the stigma is very very bad. I have been in school for the last year continuing my education to becoma a Nurse Practitioner I have 9 months of school. I am scared to death on what I should do. I have called in sick the last two days and worried ill be booted out of my job.
Should I just quit my school and try to find another career? or can I continue on school and practice as a NP when im done. Help me please some one.. I know my outlook is good and im positive thoughts on my health. but my income and insurance and i love my job.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kicker

Reged: 10/25/10
Loc: GA, USA
Re: Just tested Postive and less than 9 months left on school to become Nurse Practioner new
      #271806 - 04/24/13 04:38 PM

So finish your school and become a nurse practitioner. HIV isn't stopping you from doing that. You might, but not HIV. Remember HIV is a virus and only a virus.

There are plenty of doctors, nurses, NP, RN, LP, etc that have HIV and continue to practice medicine. I'm sorry that you have HIV, but don't let it change your plans, that is just silly and will only make you feel worse.

lostnstl314

Re: Just tested Postive and less than 9 months left on school to become Nurse Practioner new
      #271812 - 04/25/13 11:19 AM

Thanks for the boost! I am just worried, with my status my dream job would be emegency room. I have a friend that has told me to drop out. because no one would hire me due to my status. I didnt think there would be any reason not to disclose this. I take all universal precauctions like I told her Im Hiv pos. I am careful in what I do and prevent any accidents. Just like I was doing before I knew. And I dont know how long I have been. I called my 2 of 3 my 3 ex bf's and both are neg. My first partner from college I cannot not find anywhere and his email and phone dont work anymore. So I feel I could have been infected maybe 6-8 years. I dont drink or smoke and workout 6 days a week in weighs and crossfit.

kicker

Reged: 10/25/10
Loc: GA, USA
      #271814 - 04/25/13 12:17 PM

I would stop listening to your friend(s). There is no reason you can't that wouldn't fall in the illegal category for the hospital you apply at.

notinterested
All Star

Reged: 09/07/11
      #271824 - 04/26/13 01:47 AM

Hello,

Sounds like you are going a thousand miles a minute. Take a break, breathe and relax. I totally agree with Kicker. Be the best BSN, RN or even doctor you can. Do not let this change anything. Also, think long and hard about disclosing. Remember people talk and once you tell someone, you can never take it back. Unfortunately there is no cure yet so once you tell someone, this will stick with you for a long time. I remember when I first found out, I wanted to tell everyone as I really needed the support. I decided against it and for me, it was definitely the right thing to do. It's a very personal decision but a BIG one so don't take it lightly. Also don't feel like you have to make big decisions today or tomorrow. Just relax, breathe and keep going with a wonderful and fulfilled life. Peace and love to you..

Surgeon

Reged: 03/23/13
      #271835 - 04/27/13 09:24 PM

Hi, I want to encourage you to stick with your program. Getting the diagnosis has a way of putting things out of perspective but hang in there and go forward with your dreams and passions. Listen to kicker concerning what your friends have told you. There is no reason why you should not become a NP.

I just found out my status last month. It was a shocker at first; I thought my world world would come to an end but I'm figuring things out, and I have found that I'm still the same person I was before the diagnosis. That being said, I am still trying to figure out what my next career move will be. I left a very well paying job in the sales/medical community with the plan of taking some time off and moving to Florida. Still in TX but do plan on making the move soon.

With all that being said, I'm just saying I would not give up on a profession and career path that you love. You will no doubt make the best NP out there. Stick with it and Best of luck to you.

DaveSF

Reged: 01/14/09
Loc: San Francisco, CA
      #271961 - 05/06/13 10:18 PM

Don't let your HIV stop you from following your dreams. You don't have to disclose your HIV status to any potential employer, and it's illegal for them to consider it in making a hiring decision even if they knew (I'd refrain from telling though; there is no reason to do so.)

One of my best friends got his NP degree and certification after becoming HIV+, and he is now happily and successfully employed as an NP. You can do it – don't let HIV win by allowing it to stop you from achieving your goals.

Big hugs,
Dave (HIV+ for 31 years and doing great!)

jeannie10

Reged: 10/24/12
      #272260 - 05/30/13 04:36 PM

so true what you said, I have only told my daughter and my 2 bestfriends no need to tell anyone, in fact when I was so sick, one friend kept bugging me so i made up a lie and said i had a mild case of heptitas, so now a yr later she is like wow you look so damn good and you are never sick., funny I guess Hepatis is worse than HIV

Fyodor

Reged: 06/03/13
      #272355 - 06/03/13 07:51 PM

Keep going. I finished my RN degree studying in a hospital bedwhile being diagnosed and devastated , sneaking out of the hospital to go to classes in regular clothes with long sleeves covering my IV site, doing WHAT IT TOOK to finally become a nurse, and here I am...working full time in a Med Surg unit and also going for my ARNP degree. Nothing can stop you if you don't want to. Best wishes.

riverprincessModerator

Reged: 12/25/11
Loc: Jersey Shore
      #272361 - 06/04/13 09:08 AM

Cristian , I think thats terriffic. I wish more people would see that this does not have to end ones lifes plans. If you ant something bad enough you do what you got to do to get it. And I truly believe that this diagnosis can make anyone even a better person. Big KUDOOOOOS to YOU !!!!!

--------------------
Look up to the Heavens for the answers to Lifes questions .

anotherday

Reged: 05/15/13
Loc: Alberta, Canada
      #272379 - 06/04/13 11:23 PM

That is so true river, and excellent work Cristian ... I have to agree I am a bit of a newbie when it comes to HIV and my diagnosis Feb/13, but wow do you ever see things clearer, and things that were always on the back burner or just out of reach, really are dealt with much more readily! HIV brought me complete peace, both heart and mind, a new drive and determination, a focus on what is important and what was just unrealistic fluff. It even stopped me from drinking everyday, I was an alcholic for sure just never stood up and said I was, the day the doctor told me I was HIV positive, I sobered up on the spot and never drank since. over 90 days sober and diagnosed positive. Gives POSITIVE many different meanings to me!!!

--------------------
anotherday ... in paradise!
daily ponder ... be the reason someone smiles today!

Fyodor

Reged: 06/03/13
      #272385 - 06/05/13 04:32 AM

Well, riverprincess...it is not all pink and gold. One of the things being diagnosed brought up on me full force was-(is)-an almost brute, primal, raw force to go against everyting and anything I was told were my only options, starting with ripping out in a full rage the disability papers that came automatically from the social worker I was assigned to during my hospital days. Do you remember that famous sequence of Scarlet O'Hara in "Gone with the Wind" declaring she would do WHATEVER it took not to be hungry again after eating raw roots from the soil..? Well...that was just how my primary, almost animal instincts came to play. From then on I went full speeding, but in the process I sort of buried deep down all sense of helplessness and grieving that I might be developing. And yes, just as you can tell from that other post of mine, vulnerability and doubt, even if not truly visible, were growing and taking place too. So there is a double take, and they both co exist. As per my job place, I decided not to disclose my status. Just as you stated, we all need to follow Universal precautions. Hugs.

thebird1959
Regular

Reged: 06/22/12
Loc: Alabama
      #272402 - 06/05/13 10:43 PM

It doesn't surprise me about the social worker handing you the disability papers. Since I tested positive I've become aware of a lot of younger people that are HIV+ and are on disability. Like your social worker, I've often wondered why people think you should automatically just give up and throw in the towel once you've been diagnosed with HIV? Life is what you make of it. It's not the end of the world, but rather a new beginning if a person wants it to be. Pardon me for saying so, but I think riverpriness was actually trying to pay you a compliment for your determination, and I am too. Good luck in your endeavors!

lostnstl314

#273913 - 09/14/13 12:16 PM

Here is a update. finished my first course of classes for my masters of nursing. getting ready for second set and then my practicals. Here is the problem and im scared I wont be admitted for the second part of my class. They are asking for all my blood work. immunization hep b and all shots up to date. NO ONE KNOWS HERE OR AT SCHOOL OF MY STATUS AND I SAW IN THE MIDDLE OF MY 35 PAGE PACKAGE ITS SAYS A HIV TEST IS REQUIRED FOR MY SCHOOL. I FEEL THAT BEING DISCRIMATING. IF THEY KNOW MY STATUS I WONT BE ADMITTED.. SOMEONE HELP IM FREAKING OUT

educateme

Reged: 09/18/13
      #273970 - 09/18/13 08:06 PM

edited

Edited by kicker (09/18/13 08:14 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7436

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3