Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> I Just Tested Positive

Pages: 1
Tommy_C

Reged: 08/18/12
Recently tested postive...less than 30 days ago
      #265569 - 08/18/12 08:49 AM

At 50 years old, this was not what I was expecting when I started to not feel that great for the last couple of months, that I would now be HIV+. I didn't understand why poeple would ever post on a forum, but after a couple of weeks I am certainly grateful I have an outlet to share my thoughts and my concerns. Members seem to have many concerns, however I have also noticed there is hope and many uplifting posts.

So....diagnosed on 6/29/2012 and after my first blood test, CD4 was 22 and they say my VL was > 4 Million. In reading these posts I have never seen someone with a VL that high! My doctor said that with numbers this high I have had HIV now for sometime. Being recently tested 1 year prior and being negative just makes this even more confusing for me.

Now the good news....I was immediately put on Truvada/Isentress and after 30 days my CD4 is now 114 and my VL is 499. My doctor said I am having amazing results in a very short time.

Its amazing how much I have learned about HIV within this short time and glad I found a place I feel confortable to share my thoughts and dreams.

- Tommy

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kicker

Reged: 10/25/10
Loc: GA, USA
Re: Recently tested postive...less than 30 days ago new
      #265576 - 08/18/12 12:17 PM

I'm sorry to hear that you tested positive it sucks, but there is life and plenty of it after doing so. Today's meds are amazing in how quickly they get the virus under control. Others have been in your situation or worse when they found out and are doing well today. So I wouldn't rely on inferring anything on your numbers. One regular member here found out after slipping into a coma for four months! Talk about a rude awakening.

Point is there is plenty of people your age and older who are experiencing the same thing. You have probably even met a few and didn't know it. So chin up you're in a better position now that you know than before you knew. Because now you can take steps to live a healthy full life.

Welcome to the boards and feel free to post anytime it does help relieve stress and get things off your chest in an instant. Also you may want to talk to someone about groups or individual therapy in your area for positive people. This is an under utilized proactive tool that is available to help keep you healthy. Remember that it's not just your body that you have to keep healthy. Your mind plays a big role in it too.

A_reason2smile

Reged: 08/11/12
Loc: South Florida
      #265581 - 08/18/12 03:11 PM

Thats awesome news man! I'm so excited your CD4 count is getting higher and your VL is low, your doing great. By the way,my name is Will (36) and I tested POS in Jan 2012. My CD4 was 301 and VL was 18,530. When I went 2 months ago my CD4 was 430 and my VL was 80. I just had my bloodwork done on August 9th and I go to my Doctor on 8/23 which she told me she us sure I will be undetectable. Keep your head up and focus on you healing..I'm so excited for the both of us and our miracles. God Bless you my new friend.

iam1
Fanatic

Reged: 06/17/09
Loc: Georgia
      #265858 - 08/23/12 10:38 PM

CONGRATULATIONS! You're going to live!!!

I wish noone else ever contrcted HIV, but thanks to the way things are in this world there will be many more to do so.

Not trying to one-up you, but instead trying to give you a glimpse into hope - I tested positive way back in 1988. Another life for me. In 1999 after having lived 11 years in denial I got sick. The only numbers I got at the time (from having been in 2 hospitals for a total of nearly 3 weeks) was that at one time I had a CD4 in the teens and a VL in the millions.

I have my next appointment next Wednesday. But, for the past year+ the lowest my CD4 has been is over 900. And, my VL has been <75.

How do I and others do it? Good medications. Great care teams (much more than just the doctor). And, knowledge! I learned everything I could about HIV. I currently lead a local support group. I'm chair of my local Ryan White Consortia. I deal with others every day. Many of them HIV+ for less than 5 years.

You've got the first part down. In order to "control" anything (as if anybody ever controled HIV) you've got to learn all you can about it. The field is ever changing, so always keep yourself up to date by coming back to this website often!

The second part is a little more difficult. A positive attitude (no pun intended). A person who thinks they're going to be healthy IS going to be healthier than a person who thinks they're dying. It can be difficult having recently learned you have a new disease, but it can be possible. Don't push yourself. Know that you haven't changed. That there are still people in this world who both love and hate you. If you try too hard to be happy you'll wake up one day unhappy and think you've failed. You haven't and you won't! You just have to take things one step at a time.

Continue to see your doctor/nurse/case manager as often as required. Take your meds. Live well, because this is the only life you're getting.

markrga

Reged: 08/05/10
      #265865 - 08/24/12 08:50 AM

Being diagnosed HIV+ sucks, but the good thing is the treatment you're on is working! You're situation sounds very similar to mine....I was diagnosed 3 years ago when I turned 50...my CD4 cound was 123, and viral load was high. I immediately went on Atripla and within two months my CD4 count was above 200 and my viral load was undetectable. Three years later and my CD4 count hovers around 300, and my viral load is still undetectable. My energy is back and I'm back to riding my road bike in long distance races for both charity and sport. Keep up the positive attitude!!!!!!!!

Alex01

Reged: 08/20/09
      #265891 - 08/25/12 06:06 PM

Totally understand your surprise...tested positive at 49...now 58 and have learned about HIV in a short time too. Your story just underscores the reality of people who think they are negative are really positive and don't know it. Thank God you found out when you did ...before you got seriously ill.

And best of all is the news that you are now taking meds and on the road to being undetectable. Which to me is better than thinking one is negative.

Hope all coming together for you as far as living with the virus.

Alex

Letstalk

Reged: 04/30/12
Loc: Norrth Carolina
      #266023 - 09/02/12 01:48 AM

It is good to hear that your body is responding so well to your medicine. Just be sure that you always take your meds. Also, you might want to get a psychiatrist or counselor because adjusting to this sudden diagnosis can be an up and down emotional and stressful process.
Hang in there. it sounds like you are doing good.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4953

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3