Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> I Just Tested Positive

Pages: 1
rookie
New User

Reged: 11/16/11
just came back from the doctor..
      #258993 - 11/16/11 08:50 PM

Don't know what to say.. I just receive my results. I have tested positive for hiv antibodies. Kinda expected. Kinda Late. I had shingles 4 months ago and I suspected it was due HIV. I have been always scared to get tested, I haven't seriously engaged in severe risky behavior (I am gay, 35+, only btm in my life like 5 times). I guess regret is kinda late, tomorrow my numbers are going to be checked. I am not too optimistic, I am pretty sure this is a late diagnosis. I am main family support, professional and my somehow career successful. None of that matter in my head right now. I want to be well to able to be there for myself and my family. I am scared and sad. I am a good soul and I am going to have a hard time finding piece with God. Only one other person knows at this time, a friend who is also positive and have been living with HIV over 20 years. I guess in all the bad is a good thing I was at the doctor today, the beginning of my recovery and the opportunity for me to take control of my health. it sucks! .. thanks for reading my silly rant. :-\

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
notinterested
Regular

Reged: 09/07/11
Re: just came back from the doctor.. new
      #259032 - 11/17/11 07:11 PM

Don't fret, all will be ok. I just recommend staying on top of your doctors appointments and doing what they say. I'm sure your numbers are going to be fine but if they aren't as you hoped, I would not fear. I've heard several stories of people with crazy numbers and with medication after time the numbers get much better. If you have trouble with anxiety ask they put you on anti anxiety medication. I wish I had done that as it would have saved me from some very dark days. Take care of yourself and try not to worry Peace and love to you.

TexasPOZ
New User

Reged: 11/22/11
Loc: San Antonio, Texas
      #259129 - 11/22/11 02:30 AM

Hi Rookie (that's my nickname at work since I'm the newest employee on the team). Anyway, I understand your frustrations and concerns. Please try and get past the regret and be optimistic. Medications today work extremely well, and if you adhere to your meds and take care of yourself, you are likely to do very well. I suggest finding a good support group if one is available in your area and finding a good therapist for counseling. Even though HIV is not the death sentence it once was, it is hard going through learning you have a serious illness. I also suggest finding a case manager to help you with everything you're going to have to do to navigate the system and get the healthcare you need. Please find a way to find peace with God. My spirituality has gotten me through some tough times. I found a church that was very supportive and had some good helpful discussions with my priest. Find your faith, take care of yourself. I wish you well my friend.

rookie
New User

#259155 - 11/23/11 09:49 PM

Thank you! I just came back with my numbers. I was certain there were going to be horrible. They weren't all that horrible after all. I am above the 200 CD4, percentage is above 14%. I do have a high viral load and It is definitely a late diagnosis cause I have been with this for a while, but I am going to be what they call a "late starter" of haart. I am seeing my ID doctor next week and I am looking forward to work with him and stay on top of this. I know there is a whole lot I have to learn and do. This is a humbling experience and I am optimistic I will be around for a whole lot longer than I initially though. I must say : there is a major reason why I never tested for this before (I wish I could disclose but I can't) and I feel right now that I have been given a second chance, so after all.. thank you God my numbers weren't as bad as I though they would be. Embracing!

rookie
New User

#259156 - 11/23/11 09:50 PM

Thank you Peaceandlove.. please see my post above. In the whole darkness there were some good news. :]

Pos_in_Thailand
Regular

Reged: 02/01/11
Loc: Thailand
      #259950 - 01/07/12 07:34 AM

I'm glad to hear that you're getting your labs back and that the numbers are encouraging. It's also great that you are seeing the hope and embracing the new reality - as others said, you will most likely do very well with the meds. Taking them diligently and taking care of yourself will help ensure your success and health.

We're all here with you, this is a great community. Talk to me any time you want/need.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2682

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3