Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> I Just Tested Positive

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Infected a year ago... how many years do I have
      #173043 - 02/02/06 05:18 PM

What is currently the expected life span of someone recently infected... with meds, or whatever? 10 years, 20 years? realistically please. Are they any great new medicines?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Survivor
Veteran

Reged: 10/30/05
Loc: Get off the fence and live again!
Re: Infected a year ago... how many years do I have new
      #173064 - 02/02/06 07:04 PM

For newly infected in the past 7 years. "Normal Life Expectancies" - Dr. Ben Young. ASK THE EXPERTS.. Unless you get hit by a bus while trying to figure out how old you are..

kyle
New User

Reged: 01/26/06
      #173137 - 02/03/06 02:26 AM

As for me, i believe if I continue communicating online here with so many compassionate and wonderful people, be informed of the latest and gain great faith, hope, love and emotional support, i will die a very old man!

Bravo Eric, harharhar never laugh that much since the diagnosis.

Regards to Will,
Loveyah!

Benders

Reged: 01/19/06
Loc: Manchester, England
      #173146 - 02/03/06 05:34 AM

I went through the same concern. When i first found out (Dec '05, i've been infected 2 1/2 years) the first thing i did was look up life expectancy online, the only thing that will do is scare the shit out of you. With HIV/AIDS being a reatively new illness and the medical advancements so far i think by the time we get serously ill there will be enough medication available to make us well, if not a cure.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#173149 - 02/03/06 05:58 AM

No one really knows yet, and I suspect that we won't know for a few years. The disease was only really identified just over two decades ago, and the cocktail first came out only a decade ago. However, with advances thus far, I am optimistic, as are most people.

To date, evidence shows that with proper treatment and a healthy lifestyle, one should be able to live a normal lifespan (providing one has access to meds and basic needs of sustenance), and one should be able to manage their HIV like any other chronic condition. So HIV isn't necessarily the death sentence that it was once thought to be (depends on where you live, lifestyle, socioeconomics, etc.).However, we should also be cognizant of the the fact that that the drugs have not been out for even an average lifespan yet, so no one really knows what the prognosis will be 10 years down the road.

Also, although the efficacy of the drugs are generaly quite good, one must keep in mind that there are drug resistant strains & the virus can mutate if one is does not adhere to a strict regime & a healthy lifestyle. It is also likely that an individual will, at a certain point in their treatment, develop resistance to a particular cocktail. Indeed, from what I know most find that they have to change cocktails eventually due to resistence issues. Furthermore, those who have been infected for decades sometimes find that they have become resistant to all drugs currently available.

On the other hand, I know of individuals who have been infected for 16 to 20 years and are doing better than (and in some caseshave outlived) those infected very recently, due to differences in lifestyle. They have also outlived negative people of their generation.

The good news is that research is ongoing & and there are new and better drugs coming out all the time. There are also vaccine trials going on around the world, which at the very least may help to boost the immune system of those already infected. The most promising are the Merck phase II trials & the Italian "Tat" Vaccine phase II trials. The onus is on all of us to lobby for a vaccine of sorts & for governments to provide R & D incentives to researchers and drug companies.

With ongoing developments, you have much to look forward to. I'm sure with a healthy lifestyle and good medical care you will do just fine.

All the best.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#173236 - 02/03/06 03:32 PM

I appreciate the responses, thank you all. At 26 it's heartwrenching to imagine dying by 35. "10 years" is stuck in my head.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#173240 - 02/03/06 03:41 PM

[quote]I appreciate the responses, thank you all. At 26 it's heartwrenching to imagine dying by 35. "10 years" is stuck in my head. [/quote]

Well, you need to change that because it isn't necessarily true. You could get hit by a bus tomorrow.

I know it is a difficult time, however, it generally takes 5-10 years to just get the symptomatic state of HIV, and in some cases longer. At that time one would start meds,and with current drugs and the R & D going on, the prognosis is quite good for living many, many years beyond that. Who knows, in 10 years there might be a cure or something close to one. Look how far we have come in just the last few years.

Keep a positive attitude and a healthy lifestyle & consult with your doctor regulalry. You will be fine.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#173375 - 02/04/06 12:59 PM

i dont think anyone can put a date on anyones life span. only God has that info. i know people who have been living with the dis-ease for 20 years and more. it is all up to you...you have to make the choice to live!
i think the best thing is to avoid getting 'aids' this you can do mentally, listen to your body and live your healthiest yet. i am neg and 2 of my friends are pos. they are such an inspiration cos they have so much knowledge about hiv and they are actively satying ALIVE! it boils down to mind over matter...if you think you'll die soon, then thats exactly what will happen!
CHOOSE LIFE...MEDITATE, EXERCISE, HEALTH FOODS, MENTAL HEALTH AND LOOSE THE STRESS!
many blessings!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#174236 - 02/09/06 03:03 AM

Try to have a positive attitude towards life despite all the odds. Some of us have been living with the virus for more than ten years.

still_here
Regular

Reged: 02/01/06
      #174416 - 02/09/06 07:36 PM

I MADE A DEAL WITH GOD & MY DOCTOR... I'LL DO EXACTLY WHAT BOTH OF THEM WANT ME TO DO, IF I CAN LIVE TO BE 75. I GUESS WE'LL SEE WHAT HAPPENS.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#174652 - 02/11/06 07:59 AM

I am having a high fever and diarea, this is day number 5. My tcell count is low .Could I have full blown AIDS?

Ushuaia
New User

Reged: 02/17/06
      #175578 - 02/17/06 01:13 AM

Go to the Gay and Lesbian center in your area as soon as possible! You need to have the proper tests taken. Do not wait. Best of luck to you!

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7731

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3