Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Teens

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

I really need advice, I am having a breakdown
      #165960 - 12/02/05 12:15 PM

I am sorry if this is specifically for people with HIV/AIDS but I am having severe anxiety and am looking for answers. I had an HIV test a year ago after having a sexual encounter which was followed by basically all classic ARS "flu-like" symptoms (I had the flu 2 months prior to this incidence which i know was not related to sexual encounters). The test was done at almost exactly three months to the day of the encounter. It was an unprotected oral encounter which i performed on a male (i am female) with fluid intake. The next morning my glands were very swollen. ARS symptoms followed in the next week. A week after the incident I went to my doctor who cultured me for strep throat which was positive. I took amoxicillian and it helped somewhat. To this day I still have problems with my tonsils. Also the guy I was involved with recently has started to start asking how I am doing and what I have been up to and how i was doing(asking my friends). This has got me absolutely terrified. Also the fact that my throat is not right and I keep reading that problems with tonsils are associated with HIV infection. Also the guy has put on a large amount of weight (he used to have an athletic build) which makes me scared that he is experience the excess fat that some people get with HIV medicine. Can I trust my three month test? I am so terrified it was a false negetive. Please help! Do you know how long it took you to seroconvert?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: I really need advice, I am having a breakdown new
      #166070 - 12/03/05 08:23 PM

Hi, you can absolutely trust your HIV test at three months. You are NEGATIVE. You had strep throat! Oral sex carries a very, very low risk to begin with. You don't know the status of this guy -- and chances are, he is negative too. But more to the point, you had your 3 month test which was negative and therefore you are negative! I had a similar situation -- believed from the symptoms that I was definitely positive -- and counseling has helped me a lot. You need to figure out why you're so anxious and pinning all your anxieties on this encounter, okay?? You are really, really OKAY health-wise.
Believe the 3 month test. It's definitive and it's all you need.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#166474 - 12/07/05 11:55 AM

I just wanted to say that I got up the courage to go for another test and it was negative! I can breathe a lot easier now

ravi
Veteran

Reged: 11/19/05
Loc: Adelaide, Australia
      #166481 - 12/07/05 12:41 PM

hi

regards from india

Before i begin your exposure was low. A test at 12 weeks is considered definitive, you tested negative at 3 months..your results are definitive, you are HIV negative!I do not know what is causing those symptoms, if you feel worried you may want to get them evaluated from your healthcare provider, however what i can assure you of is, HIV is not the culprit.

goodluck

stay well

take care

god bless you

love ravi

--------------------
Take Care

God Bless you

Stay Well

Love Ravi

Anonymous
Unregistered

#170492 - 01/19/06 10:41 PM

the doctors can tell if you have HIV in 13 weeks after intercourse with a infected partner. I strongly recommend that you get another test to put your mind at ease. In the 90's it could have taken to 5 yrs or longer to tell but now it can come up in 13 weeks. Also the mind can play weired things on the body if you think you have somehting then your body will start acting and showing the symtoms of what you are fearing.

Good Friend

Anonymous
Unregistered

I;m an RN trying to help new
      #172887 - 02/02/06 12:58 AM

hello there. i am a 24 year old nurse who is writing a graduate paper on teens with HIV and their mental health. I stumbled upon your question and would liket ohelp you if i can.... I have extensive knowledge in HIV and what i can tell you is that HIV tests are accurate but the virus itself can take awhile to show in some people. I am not saying you may have it or not, i am just saying that it is great tha you tested negative at 3months but it is best to check again at the 6month mark and then at a year. the 6 month mark is a great and perfectly good guide to go by... meaning if you are negative at that time you are almost definetly negative completely. I hope that you retest at 6months just to make sure and until then, if you do have it now is the time it is most active in your body and you should prtect yourself and others during sexual activities.

hope i was able to help

RN from NYC

Bear60
Veteran

Reged: 12/21/05
      #178319 - 03/04/06 11:00 AM

I'm suprised that no one said anything about the TONSILS.....isnt that a clue this person may have problems with her TONSILS. Doesnt almost everyone have them removed? Or dont doctors recommend that anymore.

--------------------
6 ft tall poz bear in Philadelphia

Anonymous
Unregistered

#195441 - 06/11/06 09:56 AM

Fantastic!

Im slightly worried abut the nurse who is saying to test again after a year- surely people in health profession cant be ignoring all the data which we have read about over 99 percent of infections being picked up by 13 weeks?

A year is way, way overkill- Ask any health care person! In the UK, there have been NO seroconversions after 3 months in the past 10 years!

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8702

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3

Advertisement