Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Relationships and Dating

Pages: 1
blackdante

Reged: 01/25/14
Sex and swapping strains???
      #275111 - 01/29/14 02:32 AM

Hello Everyone. I recently read an article about two people with Hiv swapping strains of the virus if they have unprotected sex.Thats just a bunch of nonsense right??? If you have the virus you have it, what does it matter?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
crabmanModerator
Veteran

Reged: 03/10/11
Re: Sex and swapping strains??? new
      #275114 - 01/29/14 09:27 AM

The way I understand it.

Doctors and researchers will tell you to continue protection even when you and your partner are HIV+. The biggest reason is because once the virus hits our bodies it can mutate which can affect your medications ability to control it. People can become resistant to certain classes of HIV medications.

So bottom line is researcher and doctors will tell you to continue to use protection. Real life, well maybe not. I look at it this way. The same odds of transmission that I give the worried well would hold true in my opinion as to how easily it would be to get someone else's mutation or give them yours. If you have an undectecable viral load and your doctor never told you that you have a resistance issue than I personally don't see a problem.

Anyone have anything else as to why?

riverprincessModerator
Veteran

Reged: 12/25/11
Loc: Jersey Shore
      #275119 - 01/29/14 11:13 AM

It's not so much as different strains but more like re-infecting another person. Look at it this way , 2 people both have a cold , ones system is dealing with the cold already but the other person is adding the cold back into him.. Eventually the person who was getting better , their system now has to refight this new " strain " of cold that the got from the other person.

--------------------
Look up to the Heavens for the answers to Lifes questions .

blackdante

#275137 - 01/30/14 03:14 AM

Thanks for responding guys. I agree with Crabby though. I mean two Poz people who are shouldn't have to worry bout that. The article called it a "superinfection" but only had like 1 vague case to date.
I get what you are saying riverprincess but if I had a cold and my partner had a cold that would be when we would kiss n stuff. now if i had a cold and they had the flu that would be different you kinda feel what im saying? Two colds to me make a cold. I could see it being a problem if one person has HIV 1 and the other HIV 2. I dont know just sounds fishy to me

riverprincessModerator
Veteran

#275161 - 01/31/14 08:54 AM

I still belive that a pos person can re-infect another. If your at undetectable , then having unprotected sex with another infected person can be risky. A high ranking dr explained it like this, which I should of mentioned before. He gave this senerio. There is a cooked chiken , that is actually tainted and has become full of bacteria. You very likely can eat a small piece of it without getting sick. But continue to digest more of that tainted bird and you will get sick. So it's a matter of kknoing how much of it does it take to make you sick. So if you still think that swapping " strains" is ok , then go ask your doctor and see what he says. You got theory versus reality. If my doctor told me it wasn't safe , well I'm not going to argue.

--------------------

blackdante

#275165 - 01/31/14 11:45 AM

Oh no no argument here its just friendly discussion. I appreciate sum input. I guess its like two each his own. if you are both undetectable and healthy that would be the ideal situation. I mean people are having children.( i know u knw dis). I understand your point also n what you docs says. maybe probabillity is just very very slim

riverprincessModerator
Veteran

#275189 - 02/01/14 08:30 AM

Even being undectecable does not mean Hiv free. It can still be like playing Russian roulette. . Maybe you get the bullet , maybe not.

--------------------

anotherday
Regular

Reged: 05/15/13
Loc: Alberta, Canada
      #275200 - 02/01/14 12:06 PM

Well you agree with "Crabby" (I like that name), because the thought was on the same train of thinking that your on, great!

IF you became positive because of a sexual encounter with someone and now you feel it is safe to have sex with other HIV positive people WITHOUT using protection ... did we not learn a lesson at the beginning? My medical team simply reported to have protected sex as there was a chance to "reinfect", we didn't elaborate because well, their the professional, I do as I'm told when it comes to them!

So having HIV you can now throw caution and condoms to the wind ... Take HIV out of the equation ... there is still a list of STD/STI's out there that you can get, or since we have HIV who cares now!

We sit and nit-pick at all these different scenarios when in the beginning if we just heeded the advice and practiced safe sex or did not share needles, chances are we would not have HIV today! So if you want to take in someone else's "strain" of HIV or catch their STD/STI, then caution and condoms to the wind and "get 'er done"!

--------------------
anotherday ... in paradise!
daily ponder ... be the reason someone smiles today!

crabmanModerator
Veteran

Reged: 03/10/11
      #275203 - 02/01/14 01:05 PM

My opinion comes from personal experience and it's just my opinion. I've been resistant to NNRTIs for about 11 years or so. Husband and I don't use condoms. So in the 11 years of unprotected sex he still has great response to NNRTIs and has no resistance. 11 years. In the last 16 years I haven't gotten his HEP C. So.....I really think while a doctor's opinion can be taken into account, it's something for each person to decide for themselves.

anotherday
Regular

Reged: 05/15/13
Loc: Alberta, Canada
      #275204 - 02/01/14 01:54 PM

I agree on that whole heartedly "Crabby", but are you not contradicting what you preach to the worried well? Your in a "monogamous" relationship, our poster reads as if the encounters were rather frequent with possible multiple partners ... we miss the big picture all the time!

Doctors opinions are usually referenced in a broader general term, that is, you are not 100% monogamous and 100% trusting of your partner, do you want to take the risk. Your "personal experience" comes from a much more narrow view, in a "monogamous" relationship with your husband, I just feel that generally speaking we need to address something of this nature on a more broad platform, that's all!

So what you are saying, eliminating the "married monogamous" aspect of your comment, forget condoms because the chances are extremely slim to none, it is still this kind of attitude that has HIV running rampant! We are still the "masters" of our bodys and make decisions in the heat of passion or raw animal instinct, that we can still "decide for" ourselves!

--------------------
anotherday ... in paradise!
daily ponder ... be the reason someone smiles today!

blackdante

#275205 - 02/01/14 02:23 PM

Yea because Im speaking in terms of a long term monogamous relationship also. Once u become poz i would think that you would do away with sleeping around. Now even if you are dating and lookin for the one and you occasionally have sex OF COURSE you should use condoms.

If youre in it for the long haul tho i sum may want more intimacy than a life of condoms. if u got it u got it(not a medical term) Hey Crabman, spawned u a nickname huh. be blessed.peace

riverprincessModerator
Veteran

#275312 - 02/07/14 09:08 PM

Keep in mind that the virus is always mutating differently in different people . It can cause your meds to no longer be effective.

--------------------

familyfirst

Reged: 06/05/12
Loc: tulsa ok
      #275331 - 02/08/14 09:12 PM

if you have HIV-1 and you sleep with someone that has HIV-2 then yes you could become cross infected and the second type of HIV could cause you to become non-reactive to your meds and now you will be fighting two types of HIV and not one. so please always use protection if not for yourself then those you are with.

PozInAmarillo

Reged: 07/29/14
Loc: Texas
      #277405 - 07/29/14 07:41 PM

The idea of some sort of HIV super infection was really more theoretical than anything else in my opinion. The whole idea behind Prep is that if you already have meds circulating in your system you are very unlikely to get infected. If this holds true for someone who is negative taking Truvada then it stands to reason that it would hold true for some who is poz that is on any of the various therapies.

--------------------
Nobody can give you HIV. You have to take it.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  bartleby, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3146

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3

Advertisement