Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Family and Friends >> My Loved One Has HIV/AIDS

Pages: 1
Worried Mom
Unregistered

Son
      #56960 - 01/30/03 11:08 PM

Please help me to help my son! He is HIV+ and has not been able to take meds for the past 3 yrs. He lives in GA where there is no assistance to those making more than about $30,000/yr and he has no health insurance. He tells me that now he is taking street drugs to help him cope and that he is so depressed he wants to die. I don't know where to turn - he lives in another state so I am not close by to keep tabs on him. I would gladly take a trip to confront him but don't what I would do once I got there. I need to find a support group in Fredericksburg, VA and could use any advice any of you could provide. You have all been involved in this for such a long time and, surely, know much more than I - please help me!!!

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
killfoile
Fanatic

Reged: 12/23/02
Loc: Fort Lauderdale FL
Re: Son new
      #56992 - 01/31/03 12:39 PM

Dear Worried Mom,

Bless you for your concern regarding your son. Unfortunately, I am not very familiar with resources for Virginia but I have listed a website for all of Virginia below that should allow you to find a local support group and other resources that you may require.

As to your sons situation in Georgia, there are programs available through the drug manufacturers that will provide hiv drugs for him at no cost. They are called compassionate use programs. What I would suggest is that you go to the website below for Georgia and find the agency that covers the area where your son lives. Then contact that agency and explain your sons situation. They should be able to coordinate medical care and through a local doctor, eventually secure drugs for treatment of his hiv. Regardless of his income there are clinics, etc., that will provide medical care on a sliding scale according to his income. The real issue is for you to act as quickly as you can to get him into treatment. Enlist the help of the Aids Consortiums in both states to seek the information you need.

Best of luck to both of you and I will keep you in my thoughts.

If you have further questions, please do not hesitate to repost. We will be here waiting with whatever support we can provide.

Virginia HIV/AIDS Resources: views.vcu.edu/hiv/

Georgia The Access Project: www.atdn.org/access/states/ga/care.html

Good Health, Joe

If you remember me, through simple acts of kindness, I will live forever.

--------------------
Good Health, Joe

Life is what happens, when you are busy making other plans.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#56994 - 01/31/03 02:32 PM

The following is a preview of your post. If everything looks ok then you can click 'Continue' and your post will be entered. If not then use your back button to go back and edit some more.

Subject: Re: Son

It sounds like your son is overwhelmed. But he can get a caseworker who can help him get medications. There are two places he can go...AIDS Survival Project in Atlanta and
404 874 7926 - office
159 Ralph McGill Blvd Suite 500 Atlanta, Georgia 30308

Or call AID Atlanta at 404-870-7700

You may need to intervene and let him know that there is no reason to be so depressed. There are lots of support groups for him but he MUST reach out! And he must be really agressive in getting the medications he needs!

Good luck!

Rose

Anonymous
Unregistered

#57653 - 02/07/03 05:38 AM

Honestly? He may have to move to another State to save his life! Every one is different. Just don't try Oregon, hundreds of State clients lost coverage for HIV medication, they are in the same situation. I would want my mom there, even if you're not sure how to help. I hope he can find
some assistance and both of you support...

Anonymous
Unregistered

#57751 - 02/08/03 12:06 AM

Thanks for responding- I'm shocked to know that there are other states where help is not available for this horrible condition. I do so much appreciate you taking the time to answer my plea - please keep my son in your prayers! God bless you! We are going there to try to help him next week - please keep all of us in your prayers - am hoping so much that he will be receptive to coming back to VA for help! Thank you again!

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3335

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3

Advertisement