Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Family and Friends >> My Loved One Has HIV/AIDS

Pages: 1
candicane112

Reged: 04/24/14
My cousin has AIDS
      #276060 - 04/24/14 01:19 AM

My cousin told me about a month ago that he is HIV +. We do not live in the same city, but we speak very often. Some of the symptoms that he was telling me about didn't seem right. I am HIV -, but I've volunteered with AIDS patients for the last 15 years. I am very familiar with the symptoms. I've told him for the last 2 years to get tested and he said that he did. He either lied or kept his results a secret. Don't get me wrong that is his choice. My issues is that he allowed the disease to progress without treatment and almost died. I really feel like he was trying to kill himself. He'd been telling us that he was going to the doctor to get help, but it turns out he was going to a dermatologist for various skin infections brought on by the disease.

He's now on meds, but as you can imagine he's in pretty rough shape. He is my favorite cousin and we are more like brother and sister. I didn't feel any differently towards him when he told me his diagnosis. I was happy he'd finally been diagnosed and would be receiving proper medical care. And I was determined to be there for him.

Last week he came up for a week long visit. Let me just say it was complete hell. He is worse off than I thought and he is not very clean. His skin is peeling. I mean big chunks just falling off and he has many open ulcers that he tries to cover with bandages. His skin was all over the house, his bloody bandages were everywhere and the sheets and covers were covered with skin and blood. I have a small child and my concern was her coming in contact with his bodily fluids. I talked to him about it and he apologized, but it didn't get any better.

I feel awful because I don't want him to feel like I'm turning my back on him, but I feel like he' not welcome back in my home unless he can be cleaner. He told me he felt like I didn't love him because he was sick. I told him that's not it, but I was scared to come in contact with his blood. And because he was so unclean I kept my distance.

Also I am getting married soon and my fiance does not know my cousins diagnosis. He asked me if he was HIV + and I told him no (we don't live together so he was not at risk). I'm not a liar. but that is not my place to tell. I know he will not respond positively to the news.

I don't know what to do. Plus I am pissed at my cousin for not getting tested and treated sooner and for the way he treated my household. How do I process all of this.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
riverprincessModerator

Reged: 12/25/11
Loc: Jersey Shore
Re: My cousin has AIDS new
      #276082 - 04/27/14 05:18 PM

To hold onto anger for something that should of been is like kicking a dead horse. You can't turn back the clock . But you can talk to him about your concerns about his skin. Has it even been checked for scorica carsenoma( spell is off , I know ) but it seems that men are more prone to this. And when left untreated it is unsightly and like you said it is oozing blood and most likly some pus. It does not sound like he has seen any dermatologist. Most likly another lie. But perhaps you can sencourage him by going to the dr and counselor with him and for yourself also. He needs help for sure , and seems your the one he goes to . I do wish you the best hon. PM me if you want to talk some more about this.

--------------------
Look up to the Heavens for the answers to Lifes questions .

jamieharris

Reged: 06/04/14
      #276512 - 06/05/14 10:41 AM

Sorry to hear that, Hope all gets better with him

codered

Reged: 08/09/14
      #277586 - 08/09/14 06:18 AM

My father's had AIDS for years now. His body's remained strong enough to fight the disease, but I still worry, day and night.

Please try to stay strong.

KangMousir

Reged: 08/15/14
Loc: Jawa Barat
      #277699 - 08/15/14 03:49 AM

i don't know, how to hrlp

--------------------
Belajar Blog dan SEO Bagi Pemula

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 867

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3

Advertisement