Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Family and Friends >> My Loved One Has HIV/AIDS

Pages: 1
riverprincessModerator

Reged: 12/25/11
Loc: Jersey Shore
Caregiver Support and Hiv
      #275234 - 02/03/14 02:31 PM

Seems like there is more and more of a need for a support network for caregivers. Let's face it , though they may not have Hiv , they still are living with Hiv. And with Hiv as well as many other illnesses , it can be a heavey burden to understand and care for. It's not easy for a pos to understand everything about Hiv. So how do you think those that are helping deal with that burden. Not to mention doctor appointsments, lab reports, healthy nutrition, taking and understanding meds,It can take a tool on their health also. And too easily we get caught up in our own little pos world and forget who is along side us.
So this catagoy is for all those have are in the front lines , not by choice, by by love and caring. Share experiencing , strengths , and tidbits for survival. Know you are not alone in this fight.

[Email]Motivatedformandkind.weebly.com

Edited by riverprincess (03/05/14 06:04 PM)

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
heart

Reged: 09/01/12
Loc: united states
Re: Caregiver Support and Hiv new
      #275324 - 02/08/14 01:57 PM

I'm glad you posted this Riverprincess; so many times families, spouses, run from the knowledge that their loved ones have been diagnosed with HIV. Often it may be just the lack of knowledge of the illness and the stigma behind it. However, there are those that choose to continue with the same relationship before the diagnosis.( I would call this unconditional love and acceptance) After all, you don't ditch a relationship for any other "new" changes. HIV/Aids doesn't define the relationship...and it shouldn't. However, being an advocate, supporting anyone going through new health challenges no matter what the diagnosis; requires the friend, caretaker, spouse, a little background knowledge. As those that continue to love the person that may be going through so many emotional and even physical challenges sometimes need a sounding board( a place to vent)..often they may be helping their friend by being the "venting ground". This site is absolutely wonderful, filled with information based on studies, experience, and education for those who are HIV/AIDS. The body also provides that information to all..in gaining knowledge and tools to help those around them.
I am sure there are many of those that need support in walking through life's journey with all the dr. appts., stigma, and new changes in the relationship. A little over a year ago, we had a young "sister" that visited this site to plea for any information which would help her advocate for her brother. She was an amazing strong young lady...my prayers and thoughts still go out to her. Her brother died during the short time she visited this site. The Body, definetly wrapped their arms around her and supported her through this time. I am sure there are many people out there that seek information too. I appreciate you for always opening your heart in attemtping to help those that come to this site. ( Anotherday)is not a moderator, however, he continues to bring hope and kindness that reach out for answers and sends a word of hope to those that believe they are grasping for ways to deal with their lives. Thanks for all you do!

anotherday

Reged: 05/15/13
Loc: Alberta, Canada
      #275417 - 02/13/14 12:28 PM

Thanks for the kind words heart, really means alot! I do agree with both of you though, the caregivers, family, friends, spouses don't get the proper shout out they deserve. HIV organisations need to channel some energy and resources in their direction too. Like Alcoholics Anonymous, they have a group for people through AL-ANON or alaTEEN for people living with an alcoholic or alcoholism within the family. So should be a group or support for HIV families.

No matter how HIV comes into the family, the strength of the family is what makes dealing with it what's important. Through family and friends we find strength, courage and the ability to keep moving forward.

I recently saw a talk show with a woman from California named Bridget. It left very difficult emotions for me to wrap my head around. She married a gay man who was HIV positive at the time of the marriage, he had not diclosed it to her but she contracted it. Now when you calculate in dating time, marriage planning time ... there would have been plenty of time for him to disclose, he didn't, when she found out the marriage fell apart and she sued him and won millions of dollars ... ruining his already fragile life and now she flaunts it on television talk shows. It was obviously a two way communication break down there, yes he should have told her, but also going into a marriage didn't she look into who she was marrying. To then not only abandon him but hurt him financially. She proudly reported that he is in bankruptcy and she is so downtrodden now because she has to revisit this in a new court to get all her money! It was a really sad story how she was so elated to be on the show telling of her marriage breakdown. How she uses her "15 minutes of fame" instead of helping the HIV issue we all share, to turning into some "oh look how good I am" issue. I felt very sorry for her, not that she has HIV, but how shallow she really is!

Aside from that story, families and spouses that are mature enough to look past the past and how someone contracted HIV, to setting sights on the future together in dealing with HIV in the family. Strength comes in numbers, and I applaud all caregivers, family and spouses who continue their love and caring for people, no matter what, and when they need a shoulder to lean on, an ear to listen, I wish as we continue on with this journey people will hear this and react and build.

From "Field of Dreams" ... if you build it, they will come!

--------------------
anotherday ... in paradise!
daily ponder ... be the reason someone smiles today!

riverprincessModerator

Reged: 12/25/11
Loc: Jersey Shore
      #275419 - 02/13/14 12:49 PM

. And nothing good ever comes from that. I hope her husband finds a wonderful woman that loves him regardless of the hiv. And as for his nasty ex wench , good luck finding someone that isn't just after the money your trying to get.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1424

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3

Advertisement