Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Health and Treatment Issues >> Nutrition, Exercise & HIV

Pages: 1
mom2w

Reged: 07/23/13
Yogurt to maybe help with digestion
      #273147 - 07/24/13 11:09 AM

Hi,

Have any of you used yogurt to help with digestion or replacing good bacteria from diarrhea
and antibiotics?

Thank you,
mom2w

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kicker

Reged: 10/25/10
Loc: GA, USA
Re: Yogurt to maybe help with digestion new
      #273148 - 07/24/13 11:43 AM

I can understand your need to do something right now, anything to move this along to stop the feelings of guilt, nervousness, and sorrow, but right now those things need to be felt and hashed out. You would see far better outcomes in the long run both physically and mentally for you and your son if you just talked to each other or a mental health professional together.

Those positive effects will last much longer and lead to the happy and content life you want for your son. It's a terrifying thing, but with knowledge you will get through it.

While yogurt may be good for him in general I'm not so sure it will be good right now at least not that much. His diet should be whole fresh foods that are balanced heavier or the proteins and fiber. That would be far more benificial overall for his nutrition and health physically.

mom2w

#273168 - 07/24/13 10:39 PM

Hi kicker,

Thank you for your reply. I do appreciate it.

Yes, as a Mom (no matter how old a child is) we want to "fix it to make it better".

Just like I did when he was four,.I could wash and band aid the skinned knee and say..."NOW", you are all better.

But, this is not a skinned knee and does not work that way with this, does it?

When we go to his physician at the end of the month, we can ask if he thinks yogurt or a probotic would be of help to keep down the nausea and diarrhea.

He did eat some a spicy food yesterday that did not sit well with him. But, he said he was hungry, the food (he thinks) gave him more nausea and diarrhea. He was up most of the night with no choice but to go to work.

He is was looking for something to help him get through this phase until hopefully, the medications kick in.

Still, we would need to contact his physician before adding any supplement that could interfere with his medications.

Basically, he is taking it one day at a time. He said he wished he could just stay at home for a week or so...but that is not going to happen...He needs the money and he also has to conserve his sick time.

He has no choice but to work.

mom2w

Edited by mom2w (07/24/13 10:44 PM)

anotherday

Reged: 05/15/13
Loc: Alberta, Canada
      #273171 - 07/25/13 03:55 AM

Oh mom,
It's still a skinned knee and he still needs and appreciates that "Mom Band-Aid" ... remember "skinned knees" can come in many different ways!

I just had a thought, which doesn't happen too often, but here goes ... the yogurt should be okay, I too still have a little yogurt occassionally but not for nausea reasons just because I like it.

A possible "old school remedy", I don't know, but mint. When I have had an upset stomach in the past I ate a couple peppermints or made a pot of mint tea, the mint is suppose to calm mild stomach issues, it might even go good with chili beans ...

He is new to this med stuff and some have said on here they have had wild crazy side effects so yeah, one day at a time, but trust your doctors, check with them if things keep getting worse. It can be a wild a circle, up all night because meds might be causing nausea but yet with HIV and meds you need your sleep!

Tell him though to really take advantage with his down time, when not at work, rest, I know with a low cd4 count and meds and all this, my doctor said I need to focus on some extra rest time, I get tired, tired to where I almost can't get to the bed ... but it is important, especially with his type of work!!! Plus you never know, tired and over exerssion can cause nausea and stomach problems not to mention headaches and just general pain, especially with HIV and meds!

--------------------
anotherday ... in paradise!
daily ponder ... be the reason someone smiles today!

riverprincessModerator

Reged: 12/25/11
Loc: Jersey Shore
      #273192 - 07/26/13 09:47 PM

Hey Mom , Though the skinned knees days are over , you'll always be the same mom full of love and concern . And though the boo boo is different the home care can be similar. Like your son eating a spicy food !!! See what happens when men take care of themselves ! lol What did you feed him as a child when his stomach didn't feel good? Some blandish food that is easy on the stomach. Have some toasted cheese sandwich, a cup of tea , mild soup , things that won't upset his stomach. I'm glad your around for him . What would men do without moms or wives? Thngs will all settle down .

mom2w

#273193 - 07/27/13 12:44 AM

Thank you riverprincess,

I am making a long list of questions to ask his doctor.

Hopefully, by learning what other remedy's folks have used the information will be useful to ask pertinent questions.

Due to distance and our work schedules it is difficult for us to visit. I saw him in June but I have not seen him face to face since his diagnosis. All our communication so far, after his HIV positive is by phone.
I text him and talk with him and his wife, in the evenings by phone. I think this has made it harder.

It is easy to sit here and tell him what to eat and not eat on the phone.
If plans work I'll see him this Sunday at this house.

His wife is giving him everything she can. She has no one else to lean on.... so at this time she needs support as much as he does.

Oh...he will not take her advice either about the eating the spicy foods.

Don't they say that men marry women like their Mom's?

Edited by mom2w (07/27/13 12:45 AM)

Andrew32

Reged: 08/23/13
      #273543 - 08/23/13 11:33 AM

That is a good source of bacteria that is why it should be the preference mate.
At the same time its rich in substances so that is nothing bad in taking that in fact its healthy.

Take a look

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1921

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3

Advertisement