Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Announcements >> News & Research

Pages: 1
Brodysmom

Reged: 06/13/11
Question on getting infected
      #256220 - 06/17/11 12:13 AM

Somebody told me today that there is a test to find out in a couple which person gave the other person the virus... I don't see how this could be true but was wondering if it could be? Anybody know?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pos_in_Thailand
Guardian

Reged: 02/01/11
Loc: Thailand
Re: Question on getting infected new
      #259792 - 01/03/12 06:47 AM

The only thing I know of is being able to do genotyping to see if two people have the exact same virus. If this is the case, then one infected the other. Usually, there is documentation that can help indicate who was infected first and passed it to the other. If one has a high CD4 and moderate viral load, while the other's CD4's are much lower and the viral load is much higher, then that's a good indication as to the chain of what happened when. Also, if one person has a negative test dating to a time that the other person was documented as being positive, and the genotyping matches, there is an indicator as well. Other than staging based on labs and comparing test results and dates, I have seen nothing that could say, definitively, who had it first.

riverprincessModerator

Reged: 12/25/11
Loc: Jersey Shore
      #259806 - 01/03/12 02:17 PM

When a person has been infected for awhile you start to see that it no longer matters who or how one got infected. Knowing doesn't change anything. It's a step towards the acceptance of things as they now are. In my support group no one ever asks how one got infected. In the big scheme of things, does it really matter after the fact. Does it change anything? Sometimes its best to let sleeping dogs sleep.

--------------------
Look up to the Heavens for the answers to Lifes questions .

Pos_in_Thailand
Guardian

#259848 - 01/04/12 12:50 PM

Very good point!

riverprincessModerator

Reged: 12/25/11
Loc: Jersey Shore
      #260453 - 01/21/12 01:14 PM

Now hubby and I got infected together but since he is a long term non-progressor his counts wouldn't be an indication at all , since he really has no counts. We even had him re-tested to make sure he really was positive.

--------------------
Look up to the Heavens for the answers to Lifes questions .

Pos_in_Thailand
Guardian

#260467 - 01/22/12 01:09 AM

That's a good point. In the very rare cases in which a person has a natural ability to cope with the virus, the "normal" rules of progression do not apply. The genotyping study would be conclusive though as to whether the people do share the same virus. This must be done relatively soon after infection though, because as time goes by, the genetics of the two virus populations in the two individuals do drift apart. It does take time though for this to occur, to the scale of years.

My GF and I went through this to determine if we had somehow infected each other (we wanted to be sure). My virus was 98% similar to the wild-type reference used by the laboratory; hers was 91%. We had been together 7 months when I was diagnosed and 10 months when she was diagnosed. The immunologists that reviewed our case said it was impossible to have a 7% spread in that short a time, even though we each have HIV type 1 viruses.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  bartleby, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2096

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3

Advertisement