Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Past Forums (read only) >> Myths About HIV/AIDS

Pages: 1
eeek
New User

Reged: 07/15/10
2 myths sooooo many mixed messages
      #251177 - 07/15/10 02:14 PM

I am so confused, I keep reading different things about whether or not kissing is a risk. Does anyone have the final word on this. I kissed someone 4 1/2 weeks ago, did not notice any blood at the time but had drank way too much so somewhat unsure, also I had a pimple on my lipline which I had popped earlier and probably was not fully healed. I am so worried about this. The second myth is that I was plannign to get tested for this after 6 weeks (and was having so much anxiety waiting) now I have read that I may have to wait 3 months to get an accurate test. Is this true? Any answers are very much appreciated.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
nuthugger24

Reged: 02/24/10
Re: 2 myths sooooo many mixed messages new
      #251251 - 07/21/10 09:54 AM

Im worried I have HIV also. My risk was totally different than yours. However I have learned that kissing is not a risk for HIV. I think even for it to be possible... You would have to have a huge bleeding cut and so would the other person. There would be blood everywhere.

OobiemoObie

Reged: 10/21/09
Loc: Hawaii
      #251626 - 08/14/10 11:23 PM

Yes, the only way to transmit the HIV virus through kissing would have to be if you both had open bleeding wounds. Even with a small pimple, you'd be amazed that only after a few minutes it starts to heal and scab enough to produce a protective layer, its not going to be a problem for transmission. People do say that it takes a few months for the HIV to show up on a test (unless maybe its a blood test), so they recommend getting tested every 6 months, or 3 months if you have multiple sex partners.

--------------------
-OobiemoObie

Kittysmom
New User

Reged: 10/11/10
      #252441 - 10/11/10 09:59 AM

Hi~I agree w/the other 2 responses to your post~both parties would have to have open, actively bleeding wounds.

There are SO many myths when it comes to HIV/AIDS. Thankfully, many of them have been disproved over the years. Unfortunately, there are still plenty of uninformed, naive, misguided individuals in this world who are just too ignorant to listen and/or educate themselves. My best advice is to do research on how it can & can't be transmitted.

As for the testing~I've always heard the "3 mth rule" too...but hey~if you're anxious about it, nothing says you can't get tested earlier. Been there, done that. Believe me, the peace of mind is worth it. They (where you get tested) might suggest you come back at a later date as well just to make sure, but that's okay. At least you'll know everything's okay, and like I said....the peace of mind is worth it.

Again...if you're concerned/worried/curious about anything having to do w/HIV (or any other STD for that matter)....research the subject. That way you'll be one of the informed, educated people around....never a bad thing!

Good luck & hope this helps.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6248

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3

Advertisement