Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Past Forums (read only) >> Myths About HIV/AIDS

Pages: 1
30YEAROLDMOTHER

Reged: 12/19/06
AIDS vs HIV -
      #219552 - 12/22/06 01:19 PM

Now i know that AIDS is the end stages of HIV but I just was thinking - And wanted to see if anyone knows. IF
I (just say me for example) Had unprotected sex with a men that has AIDS Vs HIV is there a high change that I would get the virus? See this whole AIDS or HIV can get you mixed up.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: AIDS vs HIV - new
      #220167 - 12/28/06 11:18 AM

I think your information is outdated. First , AIDS is not an end stage because it only applies to a drop in Tcell counts or "numbers" and so is more of a technical classification than anything. A person can live with a diagnosis of "AIDS" for many years...many many.
And ...NO...no more chance of contracting HIV from someone who has "AIDS" than from someone who is HIV positive.

30YEAROLDMOTHER

Reged: 12/19/06
      #220193 - 12/28/06 03:56 PM

thanks - i was a little lost there. with my mom telling me one thing and me being to scared to ask ( because i don't want to feel dumb) i figured i better just ask...

TRex
Master

Reged: 01/09/07
Loc: California, USA
      #221244 - 01/10/07 03:14 AM

The HIV/AIDS definition can be very scary. I am newly diagnosed and per my CD4 count of 183 I have AIDS. I am also over 50 and the stuff you read says we don't "respond as well" in this age group. The good news: I have not had any opportunistic infections..non of the 26 things on the list. SO! I figure with good medical care (will start HAART soon..waiting for the genotype) and prophylactic antibiotics not to get any bad disease and a very good attitude and positive outlook.. and with the support of my current and new friends (thats all of you).. I plan on being around a long time

Anonymous
Unregistered

#222094 - 01/14/07 08:24 PM

AIDS is the classification given to a patient if they either have a CD4 count below 200 or develops an Opportunistic Infectiion.

There are many factors that can cause a person to be more contagious at times. The most important being what is the person's viral load. A person with a high viral load is much more likely to pass on the virus than someone that has an undectectable viral load.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#223157 - 01/20/07 06:21 PM

The most important being what is the person's viral load ...QUOTE
....Right, someone who is classified as having AIDS can have an undectable viral load...whereas someone who is HIV positive and newly infectd with HIV can have a very high viral load and be more likely to pass on the virus. Thats why safe sex is so important.

Matt_Mee

Reged: 01/11/07
      #223643 - 01/23/07 12:18 PM

Totally agree - it's viral load that counts, generally speaking - as the viral load in your blood doesn't always reflect that in semen or vaginal secretions.

As a note of interest, in the UK and I think most of Europe an AIDS diagnosis is only applied if you actually get ill with something. Having a CD4 of <200 is a bit academic, unless it's making you ill after all... So don't get too hung up on it.

flagirlpos

Reged: 10/22/07
      #232843 - 10/22/07 12:15 PM

The general idea is that there is more risk, when there is a greater amount of the virus in the persons body. If a person is not taking medication for their illness then the risk would normally be greater.

flagirlpos

Reged: 10/22/07
      #232844 - 10/22/07 12:18 PM

Kudos to you... I am 36 and have had a number of opportunistic infections. Most of these issues were due to financial difficulties and problems accessing the needed medications. I agree that a persons mental state is the most important predictor of their survival.

debfree

Reged: 10/20/07
Re: good question new
      #232845 - 10/22/07 12:19 PM

i'am hiv that a good question i believe through research hiv is a viires that causes aid i beleve i'am not a doctor if a person has aids i think you would have full blown aids that why hiv people can live longer due to taking drugs to pervent aids coming on as full blown

cunta_stalwart
Grand Master

Reged: 06/27/08
      #240629 - 07/12/08 03:58 AM

AIDS is a status defined by several things, it is caused by the HIV virus destroying the human immune system.

--------------------
How Many Roads Must A Man Walk Down Before He Admits Hes lost

Samurai
Fanatic

Reged: 06/25/08
Loc: Texas, USA
      #240988 - 07/25/08 10:06 PM

For Social Security Disability Benefits, the definition for AIDS is:
CD-4 T cell count <200 AND at least one opportunistic infection, dementia, or wasting syndrome (or some combination).
Viral load does increase the risk of transmission when it is high.
Usually, a person with a low T cell count also has a high viral load but that is flexible depending on many factors such as health, strain of HIV, drug use and/or alcohol use, etc.

--------------------
I am forever amazed at the abundance of hydrogen and ignorance in the universe.
~Albert Einstein

Bear60
Legend

Reged: 12/21/05
      #240994 - 07/26/08 01:04 PM

"Usually, a person with a low T cell count also has a high viral load but that is flexible depending on many factors such as health, strain of HIV, drug use and/or alcohol use, etc." quote Samuri
I dont think this gives the whole picture. A person who has an undectable viral load may also have a low CD4 count. (or ... at least what is considered low: between 250 and 350)
People like this are taking their meds ( regularly) and according to their doctors advice. These people are not as infectious as someone who is recently infected and HIV positive and has a high viral load...(but may also have a high CD4 count (over 500). This HIV positive person often is unaware that they are HIV positive. " HIV positive but unaware of it people " ...make up a large number of the HIV population, as I understand it. Thats why its very important to practice safe sex with strangers (who may say they are HIV negative ).

--------------------
6 ft tall poz bear in Philadelphia

allangering
Regular

Reged: 07/04/09
      #247808 - 10/01/09 05:39 AM

Only individuals affected with HIV can develop AIDS. HIV infection usually progresses to AIDS in an average of 10 years. However, someone in a resource-poor area who might not be adequately nourished may well progress to AIDS and death more rapidly. There is no cure for AIDS. There is an antiretroviral medication which slows the progression from HIV to AIDS, and it can keep many people healthy for many years.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 18306

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3

Advertisement