Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Past Forums (read only) >> HIV/AIDS in the Military

Pages: 1
survivor65

Reged: 07/25/10
Tested + for HIV int the Air Force back in 1986
      #251329 - 07/25/10 08:34 PM

Back in 1986 was the first time all military was tested for Aids. Me along with about 20 others were imediately shipped out, to Wilford Hall I was given a choice, either get a medical discharge, or finish out my enlistment. The talk was that we only had about 6 months to live, so i decided to finish my enlistment and get out, and spend my last days with my family. We also had the option to go back to Wildford Hall once a year for study and treatment, I refused. The treatment was AZT.. Those that decided to get the treatment have long past away. I feel like i got a raw deal, the military was going to be a career for me, but instead i got out and basically waited to die. Eventhough im undetectable now, i feel as though an injustice has been done.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rochelle
Regular

Reged: 01/31/10
Re: Tested + for HIV int the Air Force back in 1986 new
      #251332 - 07/26/10 07:03 AM

Survivor:

It is sad what happened to you, but apparently in 1986 with the disease still being relatively new, ignorance was more prevalent than it is now, even though it still exists.

I joined a company in 1987 and a manager died of AIDS two months after I started work.

A few days ago, the former CEO of the company told me some horrifying stories about the way this woman was treated before she died of what is believed to be mental stress/depression.

When she went to restuarants, dishes she was served in were destroyed before she left. Hairdressers would throw combs and bruses away that were used on her hair, co-workers shunned her and no longer allowed her in social settings. She was made to leave her own home!

I am not a military person, but I can understand your hurt. Have you ever approached the military about this? Have you checked on the change or lack of change in their policies so that the practice can discontinue.

Maybe you should let them know that six months has passed many times and you are still here.

bartlebyAdministrator
Admin

Reged: 01/19/10
Re: Tested + for HIV int the Air Force back in 1986 new
      #251339 - 07/26/10 03:07 PM

are you saying they kicked you out? the way you describe it makes it seem like they were giving you the choice to leave, so you could spend what everyone thought would be the last six months of your life, with your family. could you clarify this? were you not allowed to go back?

--------------------
Bartleby at The Body
Bulletin Board Administrator

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5820

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3

Advertisement