Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Past Forums (read only) >> HIV/AIDS in the Military

Pages: 1
beterday

Reged: 03/28/10
Help from VA
      #249898 - 03/28/10 12:04 PM

I'm just getting over the depressed stage of hiv a 2 months ago. So the only thing I did is just went to the Va to seek help with my med. Is there anything else that I can seek through the FOR HELP. I was in active duty from 1998 to 2003. From there I have been in the national guard and army reserves so I have a tatol of 12 years.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
spikeboy

Reged: 03/30/10
Re: Help from VA new
      #249925 - 03/30/10 12:23 PM

It would depend on what percentage service connected disability you have to some extent, and which VA region you're in.

If you were diagnosed prior to seperation from the armed forces, your HIV would then be a service connected disability, and any treatment you receive for it would be covered. If not, then the copays, if you have any, are fairly reasonable, and within the vast majority of people's budgets.

As for assistance the VA may be able to provide, they will help with basic medical care (primary care doctor, labs, meds, etc.), vision in relation to HIV infection (it includes full optometry care), mental health care, urgent medical care, and HIV/AIDS case management. Basically the only thing the VA won't do, unless it is a documented service connection, is dental.

If you were diagnosed prior to receiving your discharge from the reserves, I would strongly urge you to see if it can be considered service connected, as you would receive all of the care associated with HIV for no cost to you.

beterday

Reged: 03/28/10
Re: Help from VA new
      #249933 - 03/31/10 12:07 AM

I am in the atlanta area

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3856

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3

Advertisement