Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
crabmanModerator
Veteran

Reged: 03/10/11
Anyone tried Generic?
      #274773 - 01/14/14 02:59 PM

So we picked up hubby's scripts today. $805.00 for the month. Probably won't be until mid-summer before he gets through the donut hole and enters the catastrophic phase in his Medicare. Meanwhile I need to get back on meds. I'm hoping I can get my insurance straighten out and start the first of February. Have no idea how much my scripts will end up being.

Which is what brings me to this. Anyone tried the Generics? How about online pharmacies such as the one linked below.

http://www.aidsdrugsonline.net/Generic-HIV-Medicine.php

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
riverprincessModerator
Veteran

Reged: 12/25/11
Loc: Jersey Shore
Re: Anyone tried Generic? new
      #274808 - 01/17/14 11:17 AM

I never knew they even had generic meds for Hiv. How can they even do that?

--------------------
Look up to the Heavens for the answers to Lifes questions .

Daddy_Bearby

Reged: 07/29/09
Loc: Alabama
      #274815 - 01/17/14 10:57 PM

I'd be wary about those so called online pharmacies .
As to the generics unless it's a generic already in use I do not believe there are any generic hiv/aids meds in use altho other countries might allow their use or so called generic meds uses the U.S. as far as I know does not.
Now the big thing I feel the need to ask about is if he has medicare has he applied for the extra help thru Social Security combined with a part d provider ?
I know that when I found myself jobless the Social Security website was one of the first places I went to get the extra help paying for my monthly meds .
Now the doughnut hole for me is virtually non existent and the monthly cost well there's nothing to compare to the cost I pay at the beginning of each year thru Blue Cross and Blue Shield ( part d provider ) which when one is on disability not utilizing every available resource means living on nothing a month .

iam1
Regular

Reged: 06/17/09
Loc: Georgia
      #274816 - 01/18/14 12:51 AM

HIV meds like all meds are subject to patent laws. A med is registered and only allowed to be produced by the patent holder for a set number of years.

Brazil and India have garnered big "NO's" from the pharma industry due to the fact that they have been producing generics for many years. For both their own citizens and citizens of other countries who can't see the reality of paying $1800/mo for a bottle of Atripla when they need meds for thousands. (All the meds used to treat HIV are very expensive. I just used the price of Atripla as an example.)

When a med has been in production for enough years the patent runs out and other companies are permitted to produce copies/generics. AZT was the first med used to treat HIV. The patent on that ran out and their is generic AZT on the market worldwide including here in the USA. And, it's not the only one. If a med continues to work well at what it was designed to do then it stays on the market.

I'd be very wary about buying generics off the internet. No telling where they were produced or what was actually in them. Labels are often faked. I'd feel perfectly comfortable going to Canada to get them. Either way is illegal by current US laws.

crabmanModerator
Veteran

#274819 - 01/18/14 09:57 AM

I've been on the AZT generic before I stopped my medications years ago so I knew there were a couple of generics available. I was surprised by how many there now are available. I had googled to check some of those medications on that list to find they were actually generic versions. Whether we can get them here in the US or not, I don't know.

I wondered if some of those online pharmacies would be cheaper than going to Walgrens, but I didn't know if they accepted insurance. I've never used them and was a bit leary of them. I'll stick with the local pharmacy.

Daddy_Bearby. He has SSDI and the Part D. The only extra help I'm aware of is Medicaid, but he doesn't qualify for that. Is there some other program they have? Just got his CMS. It says his out of pocket costs for 2013 was $4750.00 Not sure what 2014 will be but figure it will be close to the same.

Thanks for the info, suggestions and opinions.

riverprincessModerator
Veteran

Reged: 12/25/11
Loc: Jersey Shore
      #274823 - 01/18/14 11:05 AM

Apply for AARP. Through them you are able to get meds at a much lower rate. Also there is a program through Medicaid that involves part time work. Through the Ticket To Work program he will not only be able to see what if any work he can do without jepordising his SSDI and will enable him to be placed on a medicaid program that is strictly for those that work part time.

--------------------
Look up to the Heavens for the answers to Lifes questions .

crabmanModerator
Veteran

#274824 - 01/18/14 11:15 AM

We can't get him medicaid because we make above the cut-off. The Ticket to Work program is to help people keep their Medicaid coverage. Also, he really doesn't have the stamina for work anymore. 25 years has taken it's toll.

I'm a member of AARP. I never thought about getting meds through them. Will look into it. Thanks.

iam1
Regular

Reged: 06/17/09
Loc: Georgia
      #274850 - 01/19/14 09:21 PM

Welcome to an extremely complicated world of prescription drug coverage. I don't understand it all, and I wouldn't begin to try to explain here. You really need to sit down with someone who does understand the in's and out's. Maybe a counselor from Social Security.

I'm also on SSDI and Medicare including Part D. When the program was instituted I received a notice in the mail that I qualify for help in paying for my prescriptions, because I'm low income. Even though I receive too much in SSDI to qualify for Medicaid. I don't know if the extra help in from the federal or state level. You NEED to check this out and see if there's a similar program where you live.

That being said I do have a couple of friends who receive more in SSDI than I do. Neither of them qualifies for the extra help. This may be where Daddy_Bearby is.

The federal government is great at giving people help. Generally to the tune of about $10 too much to qualify for the extra help they also offer. Pay the person $10 more and not have to pay $1000's in extra help. In the meantime many of us are trying to figure out how to exist on the pittance we get as congress gives themselves yet another raise.

My out-of-pocket for 2013 was about $65. Thanks to the cost of the meds I take (both for HIV and otherwise) I go to catastrophic coverage about May. From that point on I have no co-pays for meds.

I don't know if you've done this, but this step is very easy - go to medicare.gov and check out the Part D plans there. You enter some personal information (to give the program a location (different Part D plans in different parts of the nation) and to verify the person is eligible for Medicare Part D) including the meds to be covered. This can be done entirely anonymously. I've used the website for years to find the least expensive Part D plan for myself. He may be stuck in the same plan until the next open enrollment season (November/December). He may be able to pay a penalty and change plans. He may be eligible to change plans in mid-year. Again, these are things you need to discuss with a qualified Medicare counselor. Ask at your clnic if they cam recommend anybody.

You and he aren't the only people trying to figure out the maze we call our healthcare system. Surprisingly, as complicated as it appears Medicare is by far the most efficient healthcare program in the United States. It leaves private insurance at the starting gate.

And, just to make things a little more complicated for me I turn 50 this year. Which means I'll be eligible for a Medicare supplement plan at reasonable rates. Right now at 49 the monthly premium for one of those plans would cost me well over $300 a month. When my birthday approaches I'm going to see a counselor and see what type of additional coverage I can get.

crabmanModerator
Veteran

#274852 - 01/20/14 08:37 AM

Thanks so much for all that information iam1. I'm going to see if he can qualify for the extra help. When Part D started I was still working so he was on my health plan and had his Medicare, so we didn't need to figure out Part D at the time. When things changed all I remember was having to prove that he had been on my health care policies going back years so that we wouldn't get charged a penalty for enrolling late. I don't recall any information being given. Only wanted..... :-(

I think a counselor would be extremely helpful. All this just leaves my head spinning.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1813

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3