Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
PushGemini

Reged: 12/22/13
Help..No meds..
      #274526 - 12/22/13 10:01 PM

Good day Body
I am a 38yr african american woman and newly diagnosed since Aug 13'.. I have not started any medicine because my CD4 is 604 and my numbers have dropped from 66,000 to 44,000 now at 17,000.... I am scared to take medication. I do want to live a long life...I dont know what to expect if I dont take any meds ..I go to a HIM clinic and I just feel pressured to take meds .I dunno what to do..can someone talk to me or give some advice..

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
crabmanModerator

Reged: 03/10/11
Re: Help..No meds.. new
      #274531 - 12/23/13 10:39 AM

It would seem that your body is doing a pretty good job at controlling the virus. I know a woman that has had HIV for over 20 years. It wasn't until just a couple of years ago that she and her doctor decided it was time for her to go on medication. She is what is called a Long-Term Non-Progressor (LTNP). It's possible that you fall under that category. It's something you and your doctor need to discuss.

Here's a website that lists articles concerning this.

http://www.aac.org/get-info/health-library-topics/long-term-nonprogressors-and.html

As far as medication in general. I'm of the mind that unless a person ready for the life long commitment to taking medications, it's better to wait and keep an eye on your viral load and CD4 counts. It's a big step and one that you chose because you feel it's in your best interest. Not because you are pressured into it.

iam1
Fanatic

Reged: 06/17/09
Loc: Georgia
Re: Help..No meds.. new
      #274817 - 01/18/14 01:10 AM

Whether or not to start meds is one of the biggest decisions a person has to make after finding out they are HIV+.

When to start? SURPRISE! Everybody is different. (You couldn't tell that by looking at us....) When to start is something you and your doctor should be able to sit down and talk about. Starting meds is often the proverbial straw that breaks the camel's back and means there is no chance of denying that you are HIV+. People don't want to admit this even if they think they've come to terms with being infected.

Prevailing thought is to start a person on meds as soon as they're able to handle the fact that they'll have to take the meds for the rest of their life. With current meds that can be a very long time. This is being done, because a rise in the numer of HIV in a person's body looks like it causes irreparable damage. If a person starts meds earlier and takes them as prescribed it's looking as if it may be able to hold HIV at bay indefinitely. meaning a longer, healthier life without the problems associated with having been HIV+ for many years. It's easier to keep a person healthy then it is to make them healthy again. Think of the bug man coming to spray your home regularly. It's easier to keep the bugs away then it is to get rid of them once they move in.

Have a sit down with your doctor or nurse at your clinic. Discuss your misgivings about having to take meds. Find out why exactly it is you don't want them. It could be something as simple as they didn't approach you the right way about it. These things NEED to be explained to people. More so then to take them into a small room and telling them they HAVE to start meds or they're going to die tomorrow!

25 years HIV+ and doing better than just about everybody else I know who is HIV+. I take my meds. I have to live. Karma missed several people, and I need to make sure they get caught on the return trip....

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 924

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3