Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
lilfshrmn

Reged: 03/07/13
Loc: SE US
World Aids Day
      #274431 - 12/01/13 07:20 AM

In deep reflection this morning. A new life with HIV infection. I have learned so much about this infection, treatment adherence, side effects, and services and resources available right here. Thank you to our hosts, bloggers, health professionals, and moderators.
There will be an event to honor World Aids Day here in Northwest Florida today. We are family. Love and Peace.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DJlavis

Reged: 06/08/13
Re: World Aids Day new
      #274433 - 12/02/13 01:39 AM

Thanks a lot.

--------------------
EDUCATE Yourself. Don't let yourself get down and always keep moving. We have to stick together.

riverprincessModerator

Reged: 12/25/11
Loc: Jersey Shore
      #274444 - 12/07/13 02:24 PM

I must admit that I completely forgot about World Aids Day.And as I got to thinking about it I started to wonder why we don't have an offocial World Cancer Day , or World Diabetic Day . Then I started wondering if giving Aids an Offocial Day is like gloryfying it some how. Now hear me out before everyone gets their underpants twisted, I don't like seeing the date that someone has died as an anniversery either It just seems a bit twisted that we say " the anniversay "of so and so's death is on this or that " day" . To me Anniversaries are something for rejoicing. And to give an "Anniversay" to something that takes peoples lives seems a bit twisted in an odd way.

--------------------
Look up to the Heavens for the answers to Lifes questions .

anotherday

Reged: 05/15/13
Loc: Alberta, Canada
      #274446 - 12/07/13 04:48 PM

There is a "World Day ..." for everything, Cancer is in February, Diabetes in November, Heart day in September. Almost all medical conditions have their day ... a day of reflection, awareness and a certain degree of celebration towards research and medical advances. They are days not to glorify the condition more than to give a chance to recognise it's existance, a chance for people to understand it more instead of leaving it in the shadows of those that "have" it!

I do agree that "anniversary" should be a recognition of celebration, like a wedding, a business or such. A death of a person, I don't know how to address that, day of remembrance I would think. Like Remembrance Day in Canada or Veterans Day in the US. To honour and remember those that have went on but have not been forgotten.

World Aids Day, as all other medical days though, should not be recognised as an Anniversary, but more a day of awareness. A day for people to stop and understand the condition, get aware of it, reduce stigma, realise that it's there and effects everyone, it's not something that is someone elses issue ... that it can infact be within your life or your family or your circle of friends.

--------------------
anotherday ... in paradise!
daily ponder ... be the reason someone smiles today!

iam1
Fanatic

Reged: 06/17/09
Loc: Georgia
      #274494 - 12/16/13 09:28 PM

Sorry for the delay in response. I've been busy.

Many people look upon World AIDS Day as a day of remembrance. To remember all those who have died. And, to recognize the excellent work being done to treat those of us who are living with the disease.

We try to get into the news and help people to learn some of the truths about the disease. That condoms DO work as a preventative. That there are treatments to keep people healthy for many years if not the rest of a long life. That just because a person tests HIV+ doesn't mean they're going to die the next day. The conservatives have for years tried to pin us down as a select stereotype. We ARE everybody. Noone is immune from this disease. We ALL deserve to be loved for who we are.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1593

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3