Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
riverprincessModerator

Reged: 12/25/11
Loc: Jersey Shore
Aging with Hiv and Meds
      #274262 - 10/23/13 08:22 AM

Since it seems to be one of the latest topics for the medical field and spolen on the boards here I figure it was time for a posting pertaining to it., How Life is when pos and on meds for a long while. As stated by iam1 in another thread, there are many of us that have been living with being pos and on meds for many many years. For me it's been going on for 2oyrs now. And I do believe that it has created issues in certain areas. I've read where you can add 20 years onto your age if you've been on meds for 10 years or more. And my knees,hip and ankle joints will agree. I use to say I had sqatitis from gardening in the squat position all the time now I think I'll call it Positis. Definitly has changed how I get up from kneeling on ground. Not a pretty picture . And that is IF I can get up at all.

--------------------
Look up to the Heavens for the answers to Lifes questions .

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
lovableo
Regular

Reged: 11/22/11
Re: Aging with Hiv and Meds new
      #274264 - 10/24/13 12:09 AM

Its going on 15yrs for me being pos and on meds also. Eventhough I'm not having any issues with the hiv but I think it was thr trigger for my fibromyalgia and that's very painful. Yes the meds have improved over the years and help us live longer but I sometimes wonder at what cost to our bodies.

riverprincessModerator

#274268 - 10/25/13 08:36 AM

Over the years many of us have seen body changes and even possibly brain issues. And in the past it was difficult to get Drs to see it as we did. After all who knows our bodies best? We do . ButI saw how the medical field thought we, I, was just making a " mountain out of a mole hill" Then almost a year later they finally realized something that we've been telling them all along. Remember when they would just attribute " these things " to us just " naturally aging". Now they recogonize that it's more than that. After all we Long Time Survivors are still the origial guines pigs and will alwas be. But so are those that are having the opportunity to go on the new meds. Don't get me wrong, I am very thankful for the added years that I'm blest with . Especially when I consider all my past " associates" that are no longer around to enjoy life as I am . But we're just talking about the reality of all that encompases being pos. Yes we've come along way baby and I may be around to see the end results once and for all. Either way I plan to live, love , and that God for all things.

--------------------

anotherday

Reged: 05/15/13
Loc: Alberta, Canada
      #274283 - 10/26/13 01:05 PM

Well I am quite new to the whole HIV / Meds related aging issue, but I am aging, and now I get to throw HIV into the mix. I like to accept it and know it will be a reason for future aches and pains, ones I already have just intensified, I can deal with that. I am far from the way I was physically just ten years ago, aging catches up with all of us, HIV or not. Time marches on and soon we come to realise it's marching right over our bodies!

I respect those that have blazed the way with HIV as people living with it since it's early days to researches constantly finding the next best thing to make our lives a little easier. I am thankful to organizations helping those without a support network realise they are not alone (the body website being one of them). To medical teams around the world helping in every way, and of course to my medical team especially, who look at me as a friend and not a number or patient "suffering" ... they make it not a big issue for me!

The best is of course to accept it, enjoy each day, praise to the power and maker, and of course to know that the person next to you might be suffering just a little more. The key is to enjoy your normal life, your family and friends, your community ... and always, just let HIV come along for the journey, never let it drive the bus!!!

--------------------
anotherday ... in paradise!
daily ponder ... be the reason someone smiles today!

iam1
Fanatic

Reged: 06/17/09
Loc: Georgia
      #274294 - 10/29/13 01:28 AM

I like to make jokes about how I'm the most abled "disabled" person living in my home. My roommate groans.

Aging with HIV has finally started showing, because we're taking the meds and living long enough for the "old age" ailments to show up.

I'm 49. I had my first total hip replacement at 45. (In the research I did before it I discovered an artificial hip has a life expectancy of 15 to 20 years. It may need to be done again!) My other hip desperately needs to be replaced. I'm getting tired of walking around with the cane. But I'm putting it off until I get the varicose veins taken care of. That's being delayed by the constant venous stasis wounds.

I used to walk 4-5 miles every day. I used to have a job where I stood for 8 to 10 hours a day. Now I'm lucky if I can do a half mile. Slowly! Forget standing for long periods. I've become very grateful for any available seat.

Am I getting older? Yes! Any complaints? Not a one considering how many people I've seen over the years who never had the chance to grow old. But, it would be nice to be able to look at someone and not have a blank face staring back. Have a face that understands how I'm going through things now that my parents went through when they were 20 years older than I am. I don't want to die from old age issues when I hit 55.

I know the data isn't there. We ARE the data. How do we go about getting people to collect it and begin to understand it?

riverprincessModerator

#274295 - 10/29/13 01:30 PM

Like everything else in the past such as side effects , and body changes, it's just going to take time for the medical folks to catch up to us,It is those of us on the front line to express these things to our drs. I know I would always say that everything was fine. I was never one to complain about any aches or pains But ever since the lipodystropy and lipodystrophy , I'm learning to speak up a bit more each time. And I'm glad to say I FINALLY found a General Physician . So now I can go for futher testng of my body such as stress tests, check caroide artiers, heart test. We know all this is effected by Hiv. And it's up to us to look out for ourself and then relay that to our ID docs . If they get enouugh similar data then perhaps they can see a pattern. And lets face it, after 50 we need to really look out for our health no matter what else we got.

--------------------

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1750

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3