Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
New33

Reged: 05/06/13
Worried CD4 count and viral load
      #271954 - 05/06/13 05:31 AM

Hi everyone,

I've never used this service so please bare with me explaining my question.

I go to the MSHC in Melbourne / Australia but felt a little rushed of late to ask some question about my results for HIV and hoping this post finds its way to some to help answer my questions.

I was diagnosed back in dec 2012 not that long ago. I had seroconversion illness for little bit but through dec and jan my results didnt show positive they showed indetermidate but with a viral load.

My question is I'm a little worried today I went for my first 3 mths review and my cd4 went down and viral load went up and wondering what,why and how.

I did have minor surgery two weeks before my bloods were taken for these most recent results.

My results are as follows:

28/12- cd4 874 50% viral 3600

13/2 - cd4 793 48% viral 1800

29/4 - cd4 672 40% viral 4600 (8% decrease cd4%)

I am worried but feel I'm over worried and get flustered in my appointment at MSHC to ask the right questions.

I no anything above 500 cd4 is great and my viral load has never been in the millions either but for me it looks like a massive cd4 drop and rise in viral load.

Is this normal? 8% in cd4 seems huge in 3 mths?

Cheers

Edited by New33 (05/07/13 05:38 AM)

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kicker

Reged: 10/25/10
Loc: GA, USA
Re: Worried CD4 count and viral load new
      #271955 - 05/06/13 09:53 AM

If you're recently infected it doesn't surprise me to see a decrease in cd4 and an increase in viral load. This is extremely common upon recent infection. After about the six month period you will see the reverse happen. Viral load will go down and cd4 will go up. How drastic of a bounce back is anyone's guess.

I would go to your next appt and tell them off the bat you have questions and don't want to be rushed. You should write them down and bring it with you so that you can remember what they are more easily. You could also write them down and hand it to your doctors staff and ask that someone calls you with the answers. Doctors will answer questions if they are asked if yours doesn't then it's time to find a new doc.

notinterested
All Star

Reged: 09/07/11
      #272000 - 05/08/13 08:29 PM

I went through something similar. My CD4 went down consistently on my last 2 appointments. My doctor keeps telling me that there is nothing to worry about and it's very very common. He said there are soooo many factors that can affect the CD4 count even throughout the day. Basically as long as it stays above a certain number I am fine. He really said the main thing was the viral load. He said the ultimate goal is to become undetectable and as long as you remain undetectable than your fine. CD4 fluctuates so much that I just need to be sure it stays up and that I remain undetectable so I wouldn't stress if I were you. Just sharing what I was told. Take care

New33

Reged: 05/06/13
      #272001 - 05/09/13 04:29 AM

Thank you peaceandlove I really appreciate your kind words. I have listened to your points and it has rested my mind.

Thank you again for your time in posting your view.

New33

notinterested
All Star

Reged: 09/07/11
      #272004 - 05/09/13 08:48 PM

Anytime. Feel free to pm me if you ever want to chat or have any questions. Take care

riverprincessModerator

Reged: 12/25/11
Loc: Jersey Shore
      #272019 - 05/11/13 10:30 AM

Not to worry my friend. Let me explain whats going on with a visual picture. See you t-cells as soldiers fighting against the enemy line. The more they win the battle the more soldiers the enemy sends to try to defeat. Just focus on your viral load and the percentages. Eat right and think well. Oh and I alsp prayed over my medication , have faith . Your doing just fine my friend.

--------------------
Look up to the Heavens for the answers to Lifes questions .

anotherday

Reged: 05/15/13
Loc: Alberta, Canada
      #272075 - 05/15/13 11:43 PM

Hi New33,
I am quite new to all this too, February 2013, but I got refered to a fantastic team of nurses and Doctors who take the worry away. Sometimes worry is more detrimental then the HIV, don't worry yourself sick just trust them and all will be fine. I simply told my team, tell me when there is a problem, no problem don't fill my head with numbers or what if's.
I was near AIDS when they discovered it, 100 cd4 one 410,000 viral load or something, they said it was bad ... I told them fix it and they took charge. No cure but atleast leading away from the direction it was heading.
Stay positive, if you have questions they have all the time in the world to hear you, ask away, take your time, but do trust your medical team ... and tell them to tell you when you need to worry!

--------------------
anotherday ... in paradise!
daily ponder ... be the reason someone smiles today!

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4017

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3