Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
aloneindark

Reged: 02/15/13
Loc: Sri lanka, colombo
knowing my HIV status I,m going downhill
      #270680 - 02/19/13 01:10 AM

How can I manage to live with HIV I don't know how to live with it I'm so depressed. and so scared to die

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
osomenor

Reged: 12/11/12
Loc: North Carolina, USA
Re: knowing my HIV status I,m going downhill new
      #270688 - 02/19/13 12:31 PM

I felt the same way. I was scared and alone and to add on to it, my ex blamed me for the infection he had also. I reached out to an organization in the city I live called the Triad Health Projrct. They connected me with counseling and an appointment with our regional center for infectious diseases. They also assisted me with preparing for the drug therapy and showed me how to get assistance with the cost of the meds. The Center also assisted me in finding an after hours group of people like myself who are living with this disease, some for 20 or more years. They are great sources of inspiration and strength to me. Now some people are gonna tell you this is not a death sentence, and it is not if you do what your doctor tells you, eating healthy, exercise and taking the meds, along with avoiding additional infection of other strains of the virus. Make the date on your calender of when you were diagnosed and every year when you pass that date, say one more year I beat you and lived.

iam1
Fanatic

Reged: 06/17/09
Loc: Georgia
      #270693 - 02/19/13 10:23 PM

You are NOT alone. Unfortunately. There are millions of people throughout the world with HIV. I am one, too.

I don't know what you've been told about this disease, but I can guarantee that whatever it is you haven't been told everything. HIV has been around in the mainstream of the USA for over 30 years. In that time we've been learning much about it. You couldn't be expected to know everything.

Sit down with a conselor or a case manager and find out what it is you need to know. Probably how to take care of yourself. To keep from passing the virus to others and to keep yourself from becoming reinfected.

If you're taking meds already it's important to know that you should take them as prescribed. DON'T skip doses! Know how to get your meds and how to get the refills.

As you learn these basics you can start to add in additional information. It can all be important, but most of it isn't life threatening.

Is HIV/AIDS a death sentance? If we were in the 1980's I'd say "Yes", but we're not. In this day HIV is a long-term manageable disease. With proper care and treatment it is expected that those of us who are infected can and will live a near normal life span.

I first tested HIV+ 25 years ago. I had probably been infected for several years before. I am in excellant health. Relatively speaking. My HIV is under control. I have other health issues, but they don't worry me. I realize I'm getting older (NOT old but older!) and my body is showing it.

Is your life with HIV going to be the same as mine or anybody else's who responds to your post? Nope. Our lives weren't going to be the same before we became infected. HIV works similarly but slightly differently in each person. You'll have different health issues than the person next to you at the doctor's office. But, unless you're atotal oddball whatever happens to you has already happened to numerous other people. And, they know how to treat it. No matter what the "it" is.

You've found this website. Congratulations! This is the best website for information about HIV. Even better than the CDC's website. Read here. Not all of it at once, but one or two articles a week. You'll surprise yourslef with how much you can learn in just a year. And, with knowledge comes comfort.

HIV is a complicated disease. There's lots of information. And, when people find out they're HIV+ they think they need to learn everything right away but become overwhelmed by the volume of material. Learn at your speed. But, keep learning.

And, if you have any questions feel free to send me a private message. It may be 2 or 3 days before I read it, but I will read and respond.

jeannie10

Reged: 10/24/12
      #270704 - 02/20/13 05:07 PM

It will be fine, I was scare at first too and went into shock, you will learn to live with it like High blood presure or any other diease, we are no different then other people, talk to people and get on some good med s and stay healthy. Sometimes I forget i Have it but this website is my bible, it helps me so much. Stay strong but most of all give yourself time to adjust to what you have. take care.

DJones
All Star

Reged: 04/02/09
Loc: Milwaukee Wisconsin
      #270705 - 02/20/13 05:48 PM

Hello
What you are all feeling is normal when you find out you have HIV. I started a blog the day I found out I had AIDS on January 7, 2009. The link is below. You can see how my diagnosis affected me and what life is like living with HIV and AIDS. If I can help in any way please email me.

--------------------
http://daveslifelivingwithhiv.blogspot.com/

honeydew

Reged: 02/21/13
      #270718 - 02/21/13 01:40 PM

well all of us with HIV inside our bodies are depressed and going downhill, its only natural, since this damn virus is a tough cookie,
but we have to muddle through somehow. The good news are the meds that are available. Where i live my meds are free, my aim now is finding the right meds that give the less side effects, because that is my problem the side effects, so i am in the process of finding the right 3 medicines cocktail that allows me to live a life as close as possible as the one i had. I have already been in 2 therapies that dont work well, i have ahead about 3 more to go so far. Maybe one day i can take my meds with very little side effects and feel as good as when i was HIV negative. I wish u the best of luck.

oksikoko

Reged: 02/26/13
Loc: NYC
      #270811 - 02/26/13 04:23 PM

I'm not depressed or going downhill. Doing rather well, actually.

I'm sorry to hear the OP is having a tough time. Good luck, buddy.

--------------------
I'm sorry. I can't hear you over this popcorn.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3280

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3