Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
markkkkky

Reged: 11/05/12
countries where HIV+ people can work
      #268836 - 11/06/12 09:56 AM

Hi.

I just want to know if there are other countries where HIV+ people can work and be able to grant a work permit? I know there are countries who don't have restrictions, but only for short visits and vacations.

If ever there is, is HIV testing a necessity to be able to be granted a work permit?

I was supposed to be working in Singapore, but unfornately, wasn't able to get a work permit because I was diagnosed HIV+ during medical exam. I still want to work abroad and i don't want my condition be a hindrance. I've been on ARV for almost three years now, i have never been sick, latest viral load was undetectable.

If in case travelling to other countries, is it needed to declare to immigration that your HIV+ ?

If immigration sees your meds, do you to declare specifically what those meds are for?

I am planning to have a short visit in Hongkiong, but I am bit worried because I know how tough immigration officers there. They might thought i an carrying illegal drugs and might get arrested or if i tell them those meds are for HIV, they might not allow me to enter their country.

Thanks.

I am fromthe Philippines.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
YellowFever

Reged: 09/27/12
Loc: Asia
Re: countries where HIV+ people can work new
      #268837 - 11/06/12 10:15 AM

Hey!

Just wanted to ask, if you knew you were HIV+, how come you consented to the medical exam? (I assume this is the one you did to get your EP by MOM right?) I'm afraid you will be barred from entering Singapore for life, even as a tourist (or until the rescind the ban). I'd be careful to consenting to an HIV test in any country.
Ok so the best place to go for this info is www.hivtravel.org but the website seems to be down alot. So this is a list from my memory:
So far, there are no restriction to work/gain residency in most of Western Europe (except the German-state, Bavaria), UK, US, Thailand and Japan. These are the countries with consistent policy from different sources saying that there are no restrictions to working/gaining residence in those countries.

India and South Korea are flippy-floppies. In the past, some high-ranking minister has declared in a UN meeting that they no longer have HIV restrictions for long term residents but the rest of the country doesn't seem to follow suit.

Australia, New Zealand and Canada requires you to declare your HIV status but you must prove that you will not be a burden to their healthcare system, which is quite difficult. Apparently having a wad of cash in your bank doesn't count because you are not obliged to use it to pay for meds.

Malaysia, Singapore, Brunei and a few Middle Eastern countries require HIV test for work permits/residency AND will blacklist anyone found to be HIV+ from entering the country, even as a tourist (I'm on one of these blacklists myself, boo!)

Good luck with the job hunt

--------------------
08/2010 HIV- 08/2012 HIV+
10/2012 CD4 415/15%, VL ?
04/2013 Next Reading

markkkkky

#268838 - 11/06/12 10:34 AM

Yeah, that's the one required by MOM. I didn't know I am HIV+ that's why it was really devastating upon knowing it. Devastating because I'm on the greener pasture already then suddenly, everythin was gone. I haven't been back to singapore as tourist, and never did i plan anymore because I know I am blacklisted already, or as they call prohibited foreigner to enter their country. BOO. I wanted to go back again to visit universal studio but i know it will be impossible.
Sad. But i can't blame them.

xas

Reged: 10/21/12
Loc: BKK
      #268849 - 11/07/12 01:59 AM

Although there is a HIV restriction for the People's Republic of China, as I remember it, there isn't a restriction for Hong Kong. So it shouldn't matter if they ask about your medication and declare it.

phimmoi9368

Reged: 11/07/12
      #268850 - 11/07/12 04:16 AM

as I remember it, there isn't a restriction for Singapor.

--------------------
viaggi vietnam

markkkkky

#268853 - 11/07/12 09:10 AM

eThere is a restriction for singapore. I wasn't able to get a working pass because of it

sg89

Reged: 12/10/13
      #274450 - 12/10/13 01:09 AM

i am said to say Singapore has a harsh stance on foreigners with HIV, Singapore is known to deport people back to their country. I am a Born- Singaporean and have known of some foreigners that have been working in Singapore and had been infected while working in Singapore, and once their status is determined, the immigration is made known of the results and they are deported from Singapore.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9148

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3