Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
just4247

Reged: 08/27/12
COPING WITH MILD MEMORY LOSS
      #266469 - 09/11/12 09:41 PM

HI! I'M NEW TO THE BOARD HERE AND JUST GETTING MORE FEEDBACK. I STARTED MEDS FOR THE FIRST TIME A COUPLE YEARS AGO SINCE BEING DIAGNOSED IN 2000. I WAS HAVING MILD MEMORY/CONCENTRATION PROBLEMS WHICH HAVE IMPROVED SINCE MED. I'M UNDETECTABLE AND GOOD T CELL COUNT AND LIVE IN LARGE METRO AREA WITH LOTS OF SUPPORT VENUES BUT STILL DONT REACH OUT SOMETIMES DUE TO SOME SHAME/FINANCIAL FEAR ABOUT MEMORY SYMPTOMS. JUST INTERESTED IN ANY FEEDBACK.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kicker

Reged: 10/25/10
Loc: GA, USA
Re: COPING WITH MILD MEMORY LOSS new
      #266486 - 09/12/12 12:59 AM

If your memory problems are mild as in you don't forget really important things all the time then there are simple things you can do to improve it. Playing games that require thought such as crosswords or even trivia pursuit can help define pathways to information and help with recall.

Doing math problems has also shown to help stimulate the brain and help with memory. Such as word problems.

You may want to also talk to your doctor or therapist about it as well. Memory problems are a symptom of stress, anxiety, and or depression. It can be the only symptom noticeable as well. If you find that it's more difficult to concentrate when your slightly upset then it's quite possible that is the problem.

It is possible that you have high reserves of HIV in the brain that is causing the problem again games that require higher levels of concentration may help a little. The medication may also cause it that's why it's important to speak with your dr and stress to him/her that it's troublesome.

Hope this helps.

Pos_in_Thailand
Guardian

Reged: 02/01/11
Loc: Thailand
      #266532 - 09/13/12 11:30 AM

I'm pretty early in my journey, so I'm not sure if my two-cents helps. I notice that I need a good 7 hours of sleep to feel good and function well during the day - it's hard to say if that's just aging or the meds or the bug, but 7 hours seems to be my sweet spot. Also, I do know that, starting about an hour after taking my meds, until 5-6 hours later, I'm a total idiot because of the efav component of my cocktail, so I don't even attempt to do anything other than sleep during that time, which is the reason to take them at night.

I now take my meds about 9pm, get to sleep by 10, and wake up about 6, and that leaves me feeling pretty good, but it has taken some trial and error to get there. Also, I avoid a heavy meal in the evening and try to have dinner by 5pm. I noticed the evening meal seems to weigh a lot on how I will feel/function the next day - lite and early works better for me.

Maybe this will help?

riverprincessModerator

Reged: 12/25/11
Loc: Jersey Shore
      #266541 - 09/13/12 02:56 PM

This is a good place for you to reach out my friend. No need for ahyness or shame. We all understand what your going through cause we've all gone through the same stuff. Just stay in touch .

just4247

#266708 - 09/17/12 10:34 PM

thanks that does help i am taking that into consideration

just4247

#266709 - 09/17/12 10:36 PM

thaks that confirms what i've been told the games and stuff and i dont;' think it's meds because it occured BEFORE i started any meds

Letstalk

Reged: 04/30/12
Loc: Norrth Carolina
      #266712 - 09/17/12 11:35 PM

I would suggest that you see a neurologist or a psychiatrist. I have experienced a lot of problems with memory loss. I actually had 2 forms of amnesia simultaneously. The long term use of some medicines such as Kaletra can contribute to memory loss. I am not always able to predict when my short term memory loss will occur so I have had to develop some coping strategies. Definitely let your doctor know that this is happening.

alive2
Guardian

Reged: 03/08/07
      #266812 - 09/18/12 10:25 PM

medications, neourological issues or a combination of them and age can all do this. when i first started medications, i had big problems with sustiva. the reaction had me walking in circles in my home because i forgot what i was doing all the time, and walking back to where i was didnt help my situation untill i was found to have adverse reactions to sustiva. once my meds were switched i slowly came back to my old self, just plain forgetfull by choice, you know selective memory.
but all jokes aside check with your doctors it can be one or all of the abouve. good luck and let us know how things turn out for you. take care

iam1
Fanatic

Reged: 06/17/09
Loc: Georgia
      #267242 - 09/24/12 11:18 PM

Like some have said - get checked out by a doctor if you think it's a problem. At the very least discuss it with your HIV doctor. They appreciate when we tell them what's going on in our lives. Makes it so much easier to treat us rather than their just guessing.

What I've found that helps me (and I've always have an issue with short term memory problems. By choice or some other reason I don't know) - USE your mind. It's like a muscle in your body. Lack of excercise will allow it to atrophy. You have to take it out for a jog around the block every day. Some type of word puzzle (there are literally thousands of books of them in the stores). Video games. Studying like you used to when you were in school. If you don't use your mind you can expect it to slowly go downhill from whatever point you stopped.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2292

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3