Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
jaw98

Reged: 12/15/07
why
      #234523 - 12/19/07 07:25 AM

Some things that i dont understand stand and i probably never will... I am a massage therapist and a nursing assistant as a profession. Well i have worked in the medical field for 10 years, and i notice how ignorant people still are about things. There are very few people that i work with that know anything about my HIV status, I have to get to know the person and be able to trust them before i tell them. and i am sure that there are a lot more people that feel the same way i do about that.
Being that i work in the medical feild you would think that some people that i work with would have a little more of a clue as to waht HIV is. well they dont. They want to still believe that it is airbourne and that you can get it by touching someone. I have tried to explain to them that is not the way it work.
Well to get to the point, In this one nursing homes that i had worked in, they had a couple of residents that had AIDS. Nobody wanted to go into their room to take care of them. The had an isolation cart sitting outside the door, because of his status. Well for one, they are not allowed to disclose his status to anyone but everyone that worked there knew about it. I was told in my orientation to the place about their status. I was pissed off cause of the way the Director of Nursing made it out to be. They treated them like they were nothing. So i had went in there one time that they had put on their call light and just walked right in. they looked at me, and asked why i wasnt wearing the isolation gown and mask and everything else. I just simply replied, that there was no reason to. what they had wasnt airbourne . they them started to cry to me and said that i was the first person who treated they like they were human. nobody would go into his room at all. They them told me about everything that they have went thru and that they thought that people in the medical field would actually know more about the disease, but they didnt. So i was sitting in there talking to them and one of the other aides had walked by and asked me why i wasnt wearing the proper clothing. I just commented back, "because HIV and AIDS are viruses and you cant get them thru the air, or touch. Why are you so ignorant and why wont you take care of them, they are people too. besides nobody knows who all has it. It is the people that get check that are the brave ones, They are the ones who will live a longer and happier life, because they are doing treatment. Unlike the other people that think that they are better then everyone else who think that they cant get something like that" and there are a lot of times that it is those people that do have HIV.

After that night I didnt go back to that nursing home, I couldnt take the way that they treated those residents. I cant understand why people want to act like they are better then other.
Like i said before, there are few people that know about my HIV status, and when i tell someone about it, they are shocked. they tell me that they would have never have know by looking at me. How can you tell if someone has HIV by looking at them? You cant. I have tried to teach people what i know about HIV but it seems like with most people it goes in one ear and out the other. They dont want to hear that you cant get it by touching someone, drinking after someone, or my kissing.
I have been positive for 9 years now, and i have tried to teach other what i could. I am a believer that God only gives us as much as what we can handle. And i believe that i became HIV positive to try to help other learn about the disease. Or even do what i did for those residents at that nursing home, be there to comfort them. I fell that one day everyone will know someone that is HIV positive, if they dont already. there are so many new cases every year and it is sad. But there is a good thing to it. We all are here for each other. we comfort people who are like us, we dont judge other people cause we know what it like to be judged. we care about people.
that is where i am leaving it. with WE CARE.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
oldwoman
Guardian

Reged: 05/12/07
Loc: Phila,Pa
Re: why new
      #234524 - 12/19/07 08:24 AM

Good for you jaw,I'm like you I keep trying to get people to understand that this disease is not that easy to catch.Have you ever thought about becoming a peer educator?

hrdrsr
Regular

Reged: 11/03/07
Loc: Colorado
      #234556 - 12/20/07 10:09 PM

I think your statement is so touching and I believe that you are right I work with the public and I don't dare tell my clients, people don't want to know all of the facts they think that all they need to know is that you die. This is so stupid.

I commend you for speaking up.

drnsee
Regular

Reged: 11/16/07
Loc: Tampa, FL
      #234656 - 12/25/07 03:24 AM

Good for you Jaw! There is definitely a lack of education when it comes to truly understanding HIV. People fear what they don't understand.

They get drilled with descriptions of the advanced stages of the disease and that's that!

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3480

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3