ScotCharles
Legend

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: Los Angeles
Key facts about HIV/AIDS - Note Last Item
      #203140 - 08/10/06 05:27 PM

Key facts about HIV/AIDS
Reuters NewMedia - August 10, 2006
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The world's largest international AIDS conference opens in Toronto, on Sunday, 25 years after the epidemic was first reported.

Here are some key facts about AIDS, the world's leading cause of death among adults aged under 60:

WHAT IS AIDS AND WHAT CAUSES IT?

* AIDS stands for acquired immune deficiency syndrome. It is caused by a virus called HIV (human immunodeficiency virus).

INCUBATION PERIOD AND SYMPTOMS:

* The HIV virus does not live for long outside the body. It is carried in semen, vaginal fluids, breast milk and blood.

* The virus can multiply for weeks or even months before the body's immune system produces antibodies to fight it , by which time it is too late. People with HIV can look and feel normal and may not develop full-blown AIDS for several years.

* Early symptoms include chronic fatigue, diarrhea, fever, weight loss, mental changes such as memory loss, persistent cough, severe recurrent skin rashes and swelling of the lymph nodes.

HOW DOES AIDS KILL?

* As the virus attacks the immune system, people become less able to fight illnesses.

* Unless treated, AIDS-related opportunistic infections like pneumonia, Kaposi's sarcoma, tuberculosis and candida can kill.

HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE AFFECTED?

* Worldwide, 39 million people are infected with HIV/AIDS.

* Sub-Saharan Africa remains the hardest-hit region, with about 25 million people infected with HIV.

* In Asia, about 8.3 million were living with AIDS at the end of 2005. More than two-thirds were in India.

* The 2006 UNAIDS Report says the epidemic appears to be slowing down globally, but new infections are continuing to increase in certain regions and countries.

* Since the first cases of AIDS were detected 25 years ago, 65 million people around the world have become infected with the HIV virus and 25 million have died.

WHAT TREATMENTS ARE AVAILABLE?

* Antiretroviral (ARV) drugs are the main treatment.

* Cocktails of these drugs can help suppress the virus, and some single drugs can help slow its transmission, for instance, from mother to baby. The first HIV drug was launched in 1987 and there are now more than 20 of them. They attack the virus at various points in its cycle.

* HIV drugs cannot eradicate HIV from the body completely, so patients must take them for life.

* It is important that the drugs are taken properly -- the right dose, at the right time, every day.

* Death rates in the developed world fell by more than 80 percent after the launch of highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART) in 1997, according a 2003 study. Before that, half those infected died within 10 years. Today, 90 percent of those on drugs live at least 10 years and often longer.

Sources: Reuters, WHO

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------
Life is a river.
Carpe diem.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
still_here
Guardian

Reged: 02/01/06
Re: Key facts about HIV/AIDS - Note Last Item new
      #203148 - 08/10/06 06:42 PM

10 more years just isn't enough time... i wanna see atleast 75! and that's 40 years, 6 months away.

ScotCharles
Legend

#203225 - 08/11/06 12:10 PM

We live as long as we need to and no more.

--------------------
Life is a river.
Carpe diem.

still_here
Guardian

#203227 - 08/11/06 12:18 PM

ok... i neeeeeed to live for 40 more years. i owe a lot of people some words!! it'll take atleast that long to say everything i need to!! LOL!!

Mr Scot, are you doin ok? you seem a little down lately. i haven't been around too much, but you seem somber. por que? you need a big squishy hug?

ScotCharles
Legend

#203232 - 08/11/06 01:08 PM

Lot of health problems just now, hard to keep my end up most days, longing for a long sleep most days, you know the usual.

People who aren't chronically ill always seem to want more and more life -- as for me, I often just want to sleep but even that is taken from me by chronic insomnia.

Sorry, not a lot of chuckles just now.

--------------------
Life is a river.
Carpe diem.

Bear60
Legend

Reged: 12/21/05
      #203241 - 08/11/06 02:36 PM

Sorry to hear you aren't feeling well right now. It's ok to be a curmudgeon right now. (For those who don't know the word....look it up.)

--------------------
6 ft tall poz bear in Philadelphia

still_here
Guardian

#203243 - 08/11/06 03:09 PM

i'm the official research team!!! LOL!! i live for this stuff!! i'm sorry you feel crappy.. i wish i coul dbottle some of my "jen-ergy" and send it to you. (((HUGS)))

cur·mudg·eon ( P ) Pronunciation Key (kr-mjn)
n.
An ill-tempered person full of resentment and stubborn notions.

[Origin unknown.]
cur·mudgeon·ly adj.
cur·mudgeon·ry n.

[Download Now or Buy the Book]
Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

curmudgeon

n : a crusty irascible cantankerous old person full of stubborn ideas

ScotCharles
Legend

#203255 - 08/11/06 05:28 PM

That was funny and fits me to a t right now, very funny indeed!

Thanks you got a one sided smirk/smile from me, which given the crap way I feel is pretty darn good.

Cheers, mates,

--------------------
Life is a river.
Carpe diem.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4450

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3