Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
exitrow

Reged: 10/18/05
THE DRUGS WORK!
      #166184 - 12/05/05 01:20 PM

I recently started taking Sustiva and Truvada after my numbers dropped significantly in October. I was very hesistant and wasn't prepared to enter the next stage, a major step, in this disease. I was fortunate not to encounter many of the horrific side effects I heard about. I did and still do struggle with a new found depression, but I keep it at bay by keeping myself as busy as possible! Starting the drugs was a major battle of my mind over matter. I celebrated my birthday in November and went on a 2 week drinking binge, which I'm fully aware isn't the best accompanying diet for these INTENSE drugs! Fortunately, I simmered down and visited my doc last week to get my latest test results! My liver and kidneys look great! My CD4 has more than doubled and my Viral Load has dropped to 458!!! The first time in the two years of dealing wiith this disease that my viral load didn't end in "thousand!" I know it doesn't mean I'm cured or that I'm free to do what I damn well please, but it has given me a shimmer of hope that things will be ok, or at least they're not as bad I think. I just hope that this is the first of a plentitude of good news in this new stage of my disease! Thank you again to all for your words of encouragement and advice to give me the courage to begin the medications in the first place. It's comforting to know I'm not alone!

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Survivor
Legend

Reged: 10/30/05
Loc: Get off the fence and live again!
Right Behind you Buddy! new
      #166377 - 12/06/05 11:17 PM

Me and my partner are right behind you! We were diagnosed about 3 months ago. Our numbers are still good, but in the not to distant future, we will be moving on the step you just took. I also heard about horror stories about drugs first effects. Then I was told alot of them are just that - stories. Especially from our HIV expert doctor that side effects are minimal to non-existant. Sure they are INTENSE and i hope they kick this virus's butt and put it in its place. "Go and hide you little S..." "My doctor is going to wipe you out in time and you will be nothing but a long gone memory!" Your regimin will work for a good long time. Then when its time to switch you got a 23 other drugs that will KICK this thing back into the twilight zone for more years. Not to mention the Pipleline of new drugs that will be coming out sooner than the next Harry Potter Episode. I think the next drug should not be called something not so stupid or unpronoucable but something like "TERMINATOR or ILIMINATOR or SOLONGSUCKER" drug. Just a thought. Stay true to yourself, live life and I wish you the very very best. Your no different today then you were before this all started. Dont think otherwise! Keep me posted how you do. I am not to worried yet, but I imagine I will be in your shoes a bit. But thank you for blazing a trail of hope and goodness for us to follow in.

All my Best

M1CHAEL

Reged: 07/28/04
Loc: Brisbane. Aust.
Re: THE DRUGS WORK! new
      #166556 - 12/07/05 10:27 PM

Great to hear things are going well for you. I started the same drugs 2 months ago, and I share your story of success. These drugs seem excellent compared to the nasty side effects I had last year when I took Kaletra and Combivir for a month during sero conversion. I am developing a bit of a belly now but have just turned 40 so I think that is middle age spread. lol.
Best wishes from a very hot Brisbane, Oz.
Michael

soimnotalone
Fanatic

Reged: 10/28/05
      #166696 - 12/09/05 02:53 PM

Sustive and Truvada are my first meds I ever had. I was recently diagnosed (Sept. 11, 2005) I get my first round of blood results Dec. 19th, which will show how my body is reacting to the meds I have my fingers, toes and eyes crossed that my numbers look as good as yours ;). I did gain weight but i needed to I was 92lbs in sept now I am 110--hopefully it all goes to the right places ;)

Aussienurse
Unregistered

#167242 - 12/17/05 04:52 PM

Thanks for your post. After a LOT of research I decided that when it comes time to take meds, Sustiva and Truvada would be my choice. Glad they are working for u with minimal side effects. This makes me feel a bit better about starting meds sooner rather than later.

Good luck!

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2072

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3