Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hepatitis testing
      #55783 - 01/23/03 08:42 PM

I know this isn't a hiv question,but does anyone know if hepatitis B and C testing is as accurate at 6 months as hiv tesing.Just wondering as ive tested neg for hiv and hep at 6 months,I know that the hiv is 100% accurate at 6 months but don't know about hep.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Hepatitis testing new
      #55986 - 01/24/03 08:15 PM

I don't know about hepatitis testing but HIV testing at 6 months past exposure isn't 100%.There is no 100% there have been seroconversions past the 6 month period rare but it has happened.They say the chance is like being hit by lightning people do get hit by lightning and i bet they never thought it would happen to them.

joe__
Unregistered

Re: Hepatitis testing new
      #56111 - 01/25/03 12:30 PM

* hep b tests are conclusive at 6 months, especially if not only HBs antibodies but also the HBc and HBe antibodies and antigens are measured

* hep c tests by antibodytest SHOULD be accurate at 6 months, but the golden standard is 12 months for Hep C. If there was a real exposure to HepC (has to involve blood) and if symptoms are present, and if money is no problem then there is the possibility of taking HCV PCR test.

However, most physicians see both the extended HBV panels (hbs antigen etc.) and HCV PRCs as overkill since normally people begin to produce antibodies within the first few weeks. Hence, in many settings they do not test for antigens or viral genomes for both hep B or C.

hope that helps
joe

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Hepatitis testing Joe new
      #56112 - 01/25/03 01:17 PM

Thanks Joe,The doc said i was fine at a 6 month hepc test,but i read it can take up to a year.I had sex with a woman that used drugs cocaine and heroin and who knows what else.She also gave me oral sex,and was biting me,when i woke up in the morning i saw a small spot of blood on my penis don't know if it was mine or hers or both.I was very drunk and it was unprotected.I can't efford a pcr only antibody,I also read hepc can take more then a year to show,Know im scared all over again,Im comming up to 8 months i don't know if I should test again and at what point i'll be able to trust this test.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#56116 - 01/25/03 03:21 PM

hi Anon,

if you do not suffer from hep symptoms, you can really relax and wait until 12 months. sure, if you cant bear the stress, testing now at 8 months might be useful, too

btw. just to calm you down a bit: i know a hcv pos woman who was not aware of her hepC+ status for many years and she slept with her boyfriends unprotected and even during menstuation and none of them got infected!

best wishes
joe

Anonymous
Unregistered

#56117 - 01/25/03 03:44 PM

Thanks once more Joe,I do have some side and back discomfort also nausia after eating alot,but had a liver enzyme check and it was normal also a ulta sound and that should some gall stones ,so im hoping there causing my symptoms.I don't know if i can wait 12 months.I called the hepatitis and liver centre and they say the window is 6 months,the only place i here its 12 months is on the body,Any thoughts on why they differ from the rest.Thanks again for you help,I appreciate it.

joe___
Unregistered

#56177 - 01/25/03 07:55 PM

hi,

it was a good idea to call the hep&liver center. i think you can rely on their statement.

really, you can relax and the test at 12 months is overkill for sure, but i was assuming you need this overkill to finally overcome your mental issues associated with this nasty experience with that woman.

best wishes,
joe

Anonymous
Unregistered

#56367 - 01/26/03 07:17 PM

Thanks Joe,I think i'll test now and then again at 12 months,I hope the 12 month test is 99.9.everybody seems to have different window's.The hep foundation and liver foumdation say 6 months ,most on the body say 6 months but one expert on the hiv/co-infection forum say's could take more then a year.I just don't get it.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2586

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3