Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
chichi
Master

Reged: 06/02/02
EIA vs ELISA?
      #35113 - 06/02/02 10:39 PM

whats the difference between the 2 tests? i had a rapid hiv test (suds -elisa) at 52 days (7weeks and 2 days) after a nonprotected sex encounter that dealt with precum in my vagina from a guy (dont know status) and the rapid test was negative -thank g-d!. i am the woman who posted about precum and rapid testing. what does generation of eia and elisa tests mean and what is the difference between EIA and Elisa tests? is one better than the other? does one pick up hiv earlier than the other?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jackie_Blue
Legend

Reged: 10/26/00
Re: EIA vs ELISA? new
      #35116 - 06/02/02 11:47 PM

EIA and ELISA are two different terms for the same test. The difference between 1st generation and 3rd generation of the test is that the 3rd can pick up infection about a week earlier in the early stages of infection. By 3 months both are just as accurate.

chichi
Master

#35117 - 06/03/02 12:55 AM

which test is 1st generation and which test is 3rd generation? which one picks up antibodies a week earlier because i got tested at 7 weeks and 2 daysand it was neg. also, the first test that was done came back as nothing - not positive and not a negative. the docotor swore to me that it was just blank and had to be redone with the same blood sample and it was and then 20 min later the doctor tole me it was NEG! he also said that most people show infection at 4-6 weeks and i was at week 7 and 2 days but i need to test at 3. have you ever heard of the test having no result - he said it does happen but the test came back neg for hiv antibodies. what do you think? thanks in advance

Jackie_Blue
Legend

#35123 - 06/03/02 07:04 AM

You have to ask which test you are being given. Your negative result is a very good sign. More than likely your test result with a later test will stay the same, however the test is not considered conclusive until 3 months.

Remember also that herpes is easier to catch than HIV.

chichi
Master

#35127 - 06/03/02 09:12 AM

hi again,
i had the elisa test - is that the later or more sensitive generation test? i know i need to wait 3 months but i needed something now. is the elisa test the more sensitive test?thanks sorry to be a pest

Jackie_Blue
Legend

#35128 - 06/03/02 09:18 AM

The EIA and the ELISA are the same test. Just two different names. I don't know what generation test you took. You need to ask at the place it was done to find out which generation you took. Either way a 7 week negative is a good sign.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13961

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3