Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
jamessc80

Reged: 01/02/14
about detection of antibody
      #274781 - 01/15/14 07:00 AM

Hi guys, just some quick question, is that possible to find out your status if the symptoms have been appearing for a while?

I am about 8 weeks from possible exposure , and I always have nerve pain and achy muscle for weeks, I got tested for a few times, and they turn out neg, but my nerve pain just come out randomly , on and off, mostly on the left side of neck where near to the jaw.

Is there any possibilities that the antibodies amount is too little, so it is not detected?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
crabmanModerator

Reged: 03/10/11
Re: about detection of antibody new
      #274782 - 01/15/14 08:18 AM

Well let's see now.

You've had a boatload of symptoms that have been drawn out over sometime now. That's not how ACUTE Retroviral Syndrome works. If a person shows symptoms at the time of seroconversion, they come quickly and leave within a week or so. Then there is nothing.

As with any disease 'symptoms' i.e.: fever, running nose, fatigue, what have you....is caused by the body's immune system fight the intruder off. It's during this phase that antibodies develop. In the case of ARS that's pretty much done so that a person testing at 6 weeks will test positive if they are infected.

All your negative tests are a very good indication that you don't have HIV. Especially since you had PROTECTED sex. Since you seem to be dealing with a huge fear of infection over this non-risk I would suggest you go ahead and test at 3 months just so you can put the matter to rest in your own mind.

jamessc80

Reged: 01/02/14
      #274813 - 01/17/14 06:44 PM

Actually it was unprotected, because I was sloppy in the end when I took off the condom, I accidentally use the tissue with vaginal fluid wipe my penis head , so the doctor actually classifies this as unprotected.

However, I still keep on experiencing armpit, groin and neck pain where veins are visible when the pain starts to intensify, and my tongue is permanently coated with white stuff. And I do actually have some neuropathy, like stinging pain in a sudden in the random part of my body.

I know the blood test is inevitable to find out the status, I just really keen to find out the fact earlier, but the doctor says looking for antibodies is the only way. I wonder if I can request for alternative type of test to find out the fact earlier?

crabmanModerator

Reged: 03/10/11
      #274814 - 01/17/14 08:14 PM

No it was protected. Your doctor must be a GP. They tend to be woefully ill informed about how HIV is transmitted. Too bad they can't be sued over it.

HIV can not withstand changes to it's environment, SO that means even if she had HIV, her fluids on a tissue could not transmit the virus. The CDC doesn't list such nonsense on their table of actual risks.

I guess your very informed doctor hasn't heard that recent HIV antibody tests include a P24 antigen and an antibody test. This test can tell a person pretty damn early if they have HIV. That's why after 6 weeks people just don't change test results. You might ask him if he even knows what P24 is. Obviously he doesn't. Hell he thinks wiping with a tissue that was used before and EXPOSED to changes of temp and air is a risk.

Look you are past 6 weeks. Go get a test. Do an oral swab. They are FDA approved. When you see that is negative, then hopefully you can be a bit less stressed because it's not going to change for a 3 month test. Especially since you used protection and did not have a risk as far as the CDC risk assessment table is concerned.

Bottom line. You had protected sex. You had NO risk.

You need a new doctor.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 549

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3