Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
irishguy2014
New User

Reged: 01/04/14
Help Needed 8.5 weeks!
      #274653 - 01/04/14 09:17 PM

About 8 weeks ago I returned from vacation from a popular European gay resort. I preformed oral sex with a few guys when there. On arrival home I visited my doctor, mostly out of guilt. He advised to get an STI test incl HIV test - all came back negative. He did advise also that i return afer 12 weeks for another HIV test.
2 weeks later I visited doctor again as i started looking up symptoms online and i thought that my lymph nodes on right side of groin where swollen at this point i was in sever stress. He checked all lymph nodes and none were swollen there seemed to be some swelling in groin area but he said this was not lymph nodes rather a pulled muscle - which makes scence as i first noticed something in groin region while sitting quite awkwardly in work. He advised that I calm down and stop checking for symptoms online (easier said then done lol). He also said that to take my neg result at 9 days as a good thing but to come back at 12 weeks. also he advised that whet i done was low risk.
I also have slight pains in armpits.
Im now at 8.5 weeks and literately counting down the days, im back stressing about it again. Over the christmas period i noticed my sholders and upper arms itchy, i thought that it was a rash but when i asked friends to take a look they could not see any rash. Yesterday I noticed a small hard lump on the inside wall of my teeth under tounge, its not painful and tbh it could of been there forever but i seem to be hyper sensitive to anything new i discover. Also i notice my skin can be hot to touch this kind of come and goes again i asked a friend and he said it felt normal to him.
Other then that i feel fine no flu symptoms, no diarrhea, no fatigue.
few question:
Low risk seems to be thrown around alot online how low is low risk?
Would the lump in my mouth be a symptom of ARS?
Could the ARS rash be just skin that it hot to touch or would it be more obvious?
Is 8 weeks too lat for ARS symptoms?
Is armpit pain with no swelling anxitiy if ARS?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
crabmanModerator
Veteran

Reged: 03/10/11
Re: Help Needed 8.5 weeks! new
      #274654 - 01/04/14 09:42 PM

I'm assuming your are in the US. I guess your doctor didn't tell you that most people with new infections will test positive by 6 weeks and it is extremely rare for someone testing negative at that point to test positive later. ARS does not start at 8 weeks.

irishguy2014
New User

#274655 - 01/04/14 09:47 PM

Hi there thanks for your reply, im in Europe (ireland) I tested neg at 9 days. Over here it is 3 months to be tested. I had these symptoms on and off the last few weeks, not sure if its my anxiety or ARS. Thanks again for your time

crabmanModerator
Veteran

#274656 - 01/04/14 10:04 PM

Interesting. I thought the US was the only one still stating 3 months as conclusive. I guess he just wanted to make sure you weren't already infected from a previous incidence. Anyway, the chances of you contracting HIV from oral are indeed very rare. 1 in 10,000 for giving, 1 in 20,000 for receiving. Your symptoms must be from anxiety because ARS symptoms, which are non-specific, do not come and go. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

irishguy2014
New User

#274657 - 01/04/14 10:09 PM

Thanks buddy much appreciated!! I feel like i have lost 8 weeks of my life with worry and stress. As far as i know the 3 month "rule" is an EU wide thing (i maybe wrong).

irishguy2014
New User

#274658 - 01/04/14 10:12 PM

BTW when you say non specific what does that exactly mean? I have seen that mentioned alot and dont understand it. Thanks in advance

crabmanModerator
Veteran

#274659 - 01/04/14 10:16 PM

It means that the symptoms that may appear with ARS are the exact same symptoms that can show up in connection with hundreds of other different illnesses and conditions. Hence there are no symptoms that someone would have that would be specific to ARS or HIV infection.

irishguy2014
New User

#274660 - 01/04/14 10:20 PM

Thanks for clarifying that for me. I do feel that my "symptoms" flare up when i dwell and stress over possible infection.

irishguy2014
New User

#274661 - 01/05/14 11:33 AM

Just one more thing just for future reference and my own understanding of risk is the statistic of 1 in 10000 the risk from someone who is infected or the risk in general from unknown status?

crabmanModerator
Veteran

#274692 - 01/07/14 07:01 PM

That's with a partner that has HIV.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1533

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3