Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Enoughalready

Reged: 03/16/13
Would you be satisfied?
      #271167 - 03/16/13 07:30 PM

Low risk exposure (HJ) somehow led to a doctor diagnosed case of NGU. After dealing with this for over 3 months, started to get some other, more concerning symptoms: generalized node swelling, stiff neck, upper left abdominal discomfort (spleen?).

Again, these additional symptoms didn't show up until around the 90 day mark.

Have taken multiple Oraquick home tests since (through week 25) - all negative. Due to some conflicting info online about the reliability of Oraquick, I also took 3 Home Access blood collection tests (FDA approved) at weeks 20, 22, and 24. Also all negative.

Symptoms continue to persist though. Pain in upper abdominal LUQ is the most concerning. Left shoulder hurts as well.

Does any of this sound potentially HIV related?

My concern is that there had to be infected fluid present during the HJ, hence the NGU. And couldn't the presence of NGU in the source (of the infected fluid) cause a high viral load if also infected with HIV?

I can't come up with any other explanation for my symptoms, nor their "coincidental" timing.

Would you be satisfied with the negative results I have received, even with the continuation of my symptoms?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
crabmanModerator

Reged: 03/10/11
Re: Would you be satisfied? new
      #271168 - 03/16/13 08:12 PM

Hand Jobs, and I'm assuming that is what (HJ) means, is not even on the radar as a risk for transmission. Transmission occurs via unprotected vaginal and anal sex and sharing needles.

NGUs can be caused by sexual and non-sexual factors.

You have certainly tested enough for the non-risk that you had. If you aren't satisfied with all those negative test results over such a non-risk, then your issue isn't HIV and it would benefit you to examine those issues.

Enoughalready

#271173 - 03/16/13 10:02 PM

Believe me, I know that handjobs SHOULD be zero risk. However, they should also be zero risk for chlamydia, and yet I ended up with it.

Because I let the folks at medhelp, my doctors, and my friends convince me that bacterial STDs were not a possibility from a HJ... I went to see a shrink and got on meds...

Meanwhile the bacteria was festering, and turned into epididymitis on me. I ended up needed 1G of Zithromax and 2 weeks of doxy to get rid of it.

So.... If that happened (no other possible exposures)...

Couldn't HIV have hitched a ride in the same infected fluid?

Believe me, I know how ridiculous this sounds, but my previous illness was VERY real, and my current symptoms are VERY real.

crabmanModerator

#271174 - 03/17/13 08:06 AM

Alrighty then. I guess you really didn't want to know if other people thought it should be enough testing to satisfy them. You have already made up your mind that you are somehow so very special as to have acquired HIV 6 months after a hand job.

Good luck with that.

Enoughalready

#271176 - 03/17/13 10:20 AM

I was hoping that you might point out a flaw with my logic.

kicker

Reged: 10/25/10
Loc: GA, USA
      #271177 - 03/17/13 10:50 AM

Which of the numerous flaws in your logic would you like to have holes poked in?

That you can't get a bacterial infections from hands? I guess the soap companies and CDC have been luring us in to spending billions a year on sanitation concerns for nothing.

That you have tested well outside the very well established window period? That if you were indeed positive no matter what your test would have shown it by now.

That you're not on medhelp bugging them anymore because they've decided that your fear is irrational?

That hand jobs don't ever transmit HIV. If they did so would a kiss and last I check that doesn't either.

I'm sure your logic is flawless so is the logic of a paranoid schizophrenics to them not so much for anyone else.

Enoughalready

#271182 - 03/17/13 12:19 PM

Point(s) taken,

So you would surmise that NGU would be more likely to be transmitted in this manner than HIV?

I admit, I've not found any shred of evidence online that anyone has ever been infected by HJ. I certainly don't think of myself to be so special as to be the first.

Just terrified at the symptoms and the lack of consistent information concerning window periods, test reliability, symptoms, etc...

I appreciate you both taking the time to weigh in.

HIV or not, swollen nodes and spleen for this long can't be good news...

kicker

Reged: 10/25/10
Loc: GA, USA
      #271183 - 03/17/13 12:23 PM

Then take off the tin foil hat and quit chasing ghosts you have conclusively proven aren't there and talk to your dr about your concerns and follow their advice. That and get off the computer and find something more productive to do with your time than to fantasize about improbable things.

Enoughalready

#271188 - 03/17/13 03:46 PM

Tin foil hat?

Thanks for making me smile.

Last question- I promise.

I read that New data is being looked at related to the reliability of the Oraquick Oral test (and other oral swabs) in cases of early infection.

Placing aside your feelings about my exposure (or lack thereof) - would you still consider my combination of home tests to be conclusive?

Thank you again for your kind (albeit sarcastic) replies!

I really need to get off the damn Internet.....

raymond

Reged: 02/27/13
Loc: ft lauderdale fla
      #271189 - 03/17/13 05:17 PM

the home test are a joke get blood test every month for over a year they are underestamating the stealthnes of this virus these test cannot detect the virus if uou dont beleive go to some hive doctors ask them some questions about the window and treatment they will give you some different answers every time yes you can get this through a hand much easer with sexual disases it spread much quicker that all she had to do was fimger herself with a small paper cut and then touch you with a sti infection and it will go in easyer than you think and yes there are a bunch of false neg out there the test are a joke im just look through the arcives they can say what they whant but it up to you to catch it there are far to many who test early only to find out years later they are hiv infected where are these people then what are they going to say protect yourselfe be well

crabmanModerator

#271190 - 03/17/13 05:37 PM

Raymond,

You are spouting misinformation and out right lies. I have told you before to link to definitive scientific studies to support your position. You have not.

You are a worried well that refuses to believe that you have tested conclusively negative. As you yourself have said nothing, not oral swabs or those precious blood test you say are so much better have yielded you anything but a NEGATIVE result. It doesn't take rocket science to figure out why.....you just plain don't have HIV.

HIV has been around for over 30 years. THERE IS NO MYSTERY TO THIS DISEASE. We know how people get it. We know how long it takes to seroconvert. We know which cells it attacks and why. We know how to combat it, if not cure it at this point.

You don't want to believe your test results and prefer to live with your fear and hypochondria that is fine. Ruin your own life. Here's something for you to stress about instead of stating your lies and paranoia. Let's just say you have HIV. Without that positive test result there is no medical help for you. You won't get the medications that keep the rest of us alive....ever. Untreated HIV is a SCARY thing.

I will not have you enable others to forgo the science of this disease and the 30 years of research that has been put into this just to suit your own warped mental health issues.

As a reminder....when you signed up. From the Rules.

"2) Symptoms are unreliable. The standard window period for HIV testing is 12 weeks or three months after your last possible exposure. If infected, people generally develop HIV antibodies by weeks four to six. If you are testing negative outside of the window period, it means you're negative. If you refuse to believe your test results, then there's nothing we can do. "

As there is nothing we can do for you, I don't see anything constructive coming from your continued posting as long as you are posting telling people to disbelieve their HIV test results.

Enoughalready

#271191 - 03/17/13 06:25 PM

If I may, I'd like to make this all about me again.

Before we were rudely interrupted by Ray, I posed a final thought/question:

"Last question- I promise.

I read that New data is being looked at related to the reliability of the Oraquick Oral test (and other oral swabs) in cases of early infection.

Placing aside your feelings about my exposure (or lack thereof) - would you still consider my combination of home tests to be conclusive?"

Thanks again Gents.

crabmanModerator

#271192 - 03/17/13 06:38 PM

OK first off Yes, you don't have HIV.

You have tested out to 6 months which is way beyond early infection so your concern over that is mute.

The newer tests check for antibodies and the P24 antigen which appears before antibodies can be detected. Those tests can be positive by 4 weeks because of the P24. That's early infection and yes oral swabs will not pick up an infection that early. But we aren't talking about early infection in your case.

I used to volunteer at an ASO. We used oral swabs. Now do you seriously think an organization that is dedicated to reducing the spread of HIV is going to put their trust behind at test that would be so faulty. We of course told everyone that a final test at 3 months was necessary in order to be conclusive. Of course it might be negative very early on....but not by 6 weeks. By 3 months those tests are conclusive and certainly by 6 months you should have put this matter behind you.

So despite the fact you had no risk, you have tested convulsively negative for any risk you might ever have had.

Final question. Final answer.

Enoughalready

#271193 - 03/17/13 06:41 PM

Thank you for that, my friend, I'll not take up any more of your time.

Best.

jason22

Reged: 03/12/13
      #271195 - 03/17/13 07:05 PM

I wish that all i got was a blow job or a hand job u guys are lucky those are low risk but really those are no risk at all.I had major ARS symptoms 2 weeks after unprotected vaginal sex later to find out the lady i had unprotected sex with is HIV POSITIVE my exposure was june 2012 my last negative test was 3/01/13 well over six months so i have every right in the world to be worried about the window period i think its crap crabman didn't know his window period he couldn't tell ya really nobody can cause most people don't really know from my research. but u guys had really low risk if any risk at all don't let it take over your life and brain guys raymond your okay "enoughalready" your definitly ok no more test for u guys okay peace..

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4274

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3