Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Masha

Reged: 01/05/13
HIV scare, please help. :(
      #270002 - 01/05/13 12:58 PM

Alright, I'll start from the beginning so you get the general idea. I'm a 21-year-old from Serbia. My country is one of the countries with a smaller HIV rate in comparison to the States and some more developed countries, for example. 6-7 weeks ago (it's already going into week 7 actually), I had sex with a guy of an unknown status. He told me he was clean, but he could have it and not know that, as far as I'm aware. He's had a certain number of female partners, but he told me he used condoms every time. Again, you never know. We had sex with a condom but during it the condom broke. I remember we switched positions and when I wrapped my hand around him to continue, there was a bubble of air around the end of the condom. We stopped and he felt it up and realized that it broke. We stopped as soon as we saw it, didn't have intercourse after that. I'm not sure when exactly the condom broke and if he even penetrated me after it broke, that is what makes me nervous. Basically, even if he did penetrate me with a broken condom, it didn't last for long, I'm guessing.

Now, two weeks or so ago, I got some rash on my legs. It looked like mosquito bumps and it itched. It started as a few bumps around my left ankle and then a few of those bumps spread up my leg, but it stopped after a few days. Yesterday, 47 days after the, I'm guessing, low-risk exposure, I got fever, around 37.2C and I took some Ibuprofen and it went down. Today I woke up and it's around 37.6C. A few days before I got this fever the same mosquito bumps appeared on my arms, but only 2-3 bumps on each arm, nothing too big. They also itch.

I know you can't tell if you have HIV based on the symptoms but I went to get tested and was told to come back after 3 months because they don't test before that. I'm really scared and I need your opinion on this, I would appreciate it if you could tell me whether these symptoms indicate seroconversion or not. Thank you.

Edited by Masha (01/05/13 01:00 PM)

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kicker

Reged: 10/25/10
Loc: GA, USA
Re: HIV scare, please help. :( new
      #270005 - 01/05/13 06:49 PM

First and foremost. Ars happens all at once. HIV is a virus just like the flu hence the flu like symptoms associated with HIV. Does the flu go away for a week or two and come back with new symptoms? No.

Second important thing. 99.6 or 37.6 isn't a fever even a low grade one. It's well within normal range. Your temp can be influenced by trival things such as your clothing, whether you took it after getting out of bed. After a meal or before a meal. All will affect your temp within one degree of normal or more. Don't believe me. Take your temp when you have a pair of shorts and a tshirt on for at least fifteen minutes. Write it down. Now take your temp after being under a heavy blanket for 15 minutes. You should see an increase. Also just because the standard is 98.6 or 36.6 doesn't mean it's that for everyone. My normal temp is 97.2. Low grade fever is considered only when you have a temp above 100 or 38 for more than 1 day measured several times over the day.

The rash would be all over all at once and would last days. Not single location and move or come and go. Viruses don't cause symptoms your immune system causes symptoms with a virus. So since your immune system isn't limited to your leg or arm it's highly unlikely if not impossible to be a virus.

Bacterial infections cause localized symptoms. So does anxiety. Not viruses.

I'm sure I just wasted a good 15 minutes explaining basic human anatomy for something you won't believe because I firmly believe its anxiety and chances are you won't accept that. Reality is how we perceive the truth/facts and you have already succumbed to a different reality that is based on fear because of the lack of facts and understanding of them.

Good luck.

Masha

Reged: 01/05/13
      #270301 - 01/21/13 02:50 PM

I understand what you're saying and it's true, I have a lot of anxiety because that sexual intercourse was cheating. I feel guilty because of my boyfriend and then I started freaking out that if I got HIV, I gave it to him as well.

I was confused about the rash because I'd read that it could appear anywhere on the body, but you say it's highly unlikely it shows up on arms and legs, so it's a bit confusing.

kicker

Reged: 10/25/10
Loc: GA, USA
      #270302 - 01/21/13 03:39 PM

No what I said is the rash would not be localized or show up one day on a leg or arm then disappear to show up another day somewhere else. It would be more like chicken pox. Show up all over within a day or two and stick around for a week or two. What you described does not sound like that. Plus the itch can be described as being covered in poison ivy or oak. It's extremely uncomfortable.

Here's what you do. Go get tested. Enough time has passed to get accurate results. When it comes back negative you can go tell your bf and get the guilt off your chest. Then you should be set to move on.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3381

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3