Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
scaredgirl1

Reged: 12/08/12
Oraquick in home mouth swab test question
      #269518 - 12/09/12 12:12 AM

Hi all. Just wanted to thank anyone ahead of time for taking the time to respond to my post. I have read through some of these forums and think this is a great site for information and support, so thanks for that.
I am one of those people who has been afraid to test for years. I am now married, monogamous, but was afraid to have the test done. I am a 27 year old straight female. A few years ago I had an encounter that did worry me slightly, with a straight male around my same age. Brief unprotected vaginal and unprotected oral that I did on him. About 6 weeks or so after the incident I had a few symptoms, sore throat (painful, not scratchy) and a lot of nasal congestion, no fever that I could recall. I saw my doctor during this time and he diagnosed herpangina ( not herpes virus, but some virus common in mostly children and sometimes young adults in the summer months-this was in the summer). Anyways, needless to say I still was sort of worried that it could have been due to ARS, and I can't deny I am a worrier by nature, with many other things not just HIV. Anyways, a few years went by, met my husband, dated, got married, been together 5 years now. A year into our marriage he got stuck with a needle at work ( he is an RN), and had to get testing done. HIV along with hepatitis was negative, and this blood work continued for a year, by protocol at his work and such. He had this done every 3 months for about a year ( just finished his last test in Oct), and all were negative, non reactive. I know you can't assume I am negative because he is, because I know it is harder for the male to get it than the female, but I took a SMIDGE of relief from it.
Well this past week I have gotten myself overly-anxious. Finally today went out and bought an at home OraQuick Mouth Swab Kit, proceeded to take the test, and got one line result (negative). I had smoked a cigg about half hour before this because of nerves, and the directions then said not to eat, drink, brush teeth etc 30 mins before this test. So I got scared the cigg smoke could have affected this. So this evening I got another ( ugh haha) and made sure I hadn't ate, drank, smoked, or anything for at least an hour. It was also negative (one line).
So sorry this is so long! I just wanted to be thorough instead of adding more threads saying "oh yeah! I forgot this!...."
Anyways, of course my worried-ness couldn't just FULLY accept these results...I got online again ( so bad, I know). And I keep seeing things that these at home Oraquick mouth swabs are not so accurate, 1 in 12 people will get a false negative, blah blah blah. Really? Did I FINALLY work up the courage to do this, just to tell me "well you tested negative, but you may not be negative".....
Can I feel pretty comfortable with the fact that I did take TWO of these tests, and both came out negative? Again, sooo sorry to bother anyone and make this so long.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
scaredgirl1

Re: Oraquick in home mouth swab test question new
      #269519 - 12/09/12 12:15 AM

I KNEW I would forget SOMETHING! Along with the sore throat, I had one swollen lymph node on the right side of my neck....I guess could have been associated with herpangina, but I am not sure.

jamesmore32
Regular

Reged: 11/17/12
      #269520 - 12/09/12 12:55 AM

From what I understand the home swab kit is very accurate and is the same swab test used by clinics and doctors I too have used it and the fda wouldn't have approved it if it didn't work as long as you tested outside the window of 3 months as the instruction says your results should be 100% correct you are negative

scaredgirl1

#269521 - 12/09/12 12:58 AM

Thank you for responding very much. Yes I am definetly outside of the 3 month window period, it would actually be years since this encounter, just never tested due to fear. The anxiety was getting overwhelming this week so I decided to test, also because we want to maybe try to start to get pregnant after the holidays.
So not necessary to ask my doctor for a blood test as well to be sure? Of course when I am pregnant I will get the test at that time, but as of now I can be almost 100 percent sure that I am negative? It's just scary to see those accuracy reports and such, saying that such and such amount of people will get a false negative.

crabmanModerator

Reged: 03/10/11
      #269522 - 12/09/12 07:49 AM

Please. Let's use a bit of common sense.

Why would the fact you had ONE swollen lymph node matter? You have tested negative. How would ONE swollen lymph node years ago caused your test result to be incorrect?

scaredgirl1

#269530 - 12/09/12 12:07 PM

No, I didn't add the information about the swollen lymph node because I thought it had anything to do with the test I took yesterday. I just added it in because once I was done and read over my forum that I had typed I realized I forget to mention that in the part about my previous symptoms. Sorry for confusion, not concerned with it regarding my test results from yesterday. Just was making sure I posted all that I wanted to say.
Just wanted to hear from people that maybe took this test, or have more general knowledge on these things than I, about the oraquick mouth swab test and its accuracy, thats all.

ashler1977
Guardian

Reged: 05/18/12
Loc: Europe
      #269532 - 12/09/12 12:46 PM

Quote:

Just wanted to hear from people that maybe took this test, or have more general knowledge on these things than I, about the oraquick mouth swab test and its accuracy, thats all

Oraquick mouth swab has slightly lower sensitivity and specificity than a classic blood draw test, so IF you're still concerned, go and test with an Elisa - 4th Generation blood draw.

--------------------
Oral Sex: What's the Real Risk for HIV?
http://www.thebody.com/content/art58210.html

crabmanModerator

#269536 - 12/09/12 07:05 PM

My point is that NONE of your discussion of symptoms matters in the least. Adding another symptom doesn't change that. You could add a new symptom every day for a year and it still wouldn't change the fact that whatever symptoms you experienced have nothing to do with HIV.

The point is that you have tested negative well outside the window period and you are HIV negative.

You are Negative so therefore no discussion of your symptoms or adding thereof has anything to do with your HIV status. Common Sense.

scaredgirl1

#269537 - 12/09/12 08:11 PM

Yes. Common sense also shows that my post was to ask about the HIV oraquick mouth swab test and the results...reliability and such. Not asking about my symptoms and what they could mean. I just mentioned the symptoms so the whole picture/story was there. Heard some stuff about the oraquick, had some questions, so I asked. Did not mean any harm, just looking for some reassurance thats all. I'm not a frequent flyer on here, first question/forum I have ever posted, looked like a good website with nice people and very knowledgeable.

crabmanModerator

#269539 - 12/09/12 08:53 PM

OK sorry.

Guess it doesn't matter anyway since you are HIV negative.

Congrats. Just beware, you seem to be the type that's gonna bite down on this and not let it go. You already are looking for reasons to doubt your test results.

First step down that long slippery slope.

scaredgirl1

#269543 - 12/10/12 05:57 AM

Thats ok, Thanks for the apology though. Sorry if I seemed a bit harsh in some of my comments, just has been an emotional up and down weekend, just want to relax about it all! Anyways I did some reading on the "false negatives" and saw that this mostly occured in invididuals who tested before the window period, but also saw it can happen as well in people that are in the late stages of infection (immune system damaged enough that no longer making antibodies I guess), and that frightened me a bit because the incident that i was worried about was 8.5 years ago. However, I hope I am correct in assuming that I would be pretty darn ill if I was no longer making antibodies...
Anyways, thanks crab and everyone else who replied to my post. I hope everyone has a good holiday.

crabmanModerator

#269544 - 12/10/12 07:37 AM

You would be correct in assuming that you don't fit the profile for someone at the end of life when the virus has decimated the immune system to the point where it can no longer function. Those people are found in hospitals with their family gathered in a circle around them waiting for death.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 15292

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3