Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
tobeabetterman

Reged: 10/07/12
Am I safe now ?
      #267664 - 10/07/12 02:59 AM

Hi everyone ,
I'm 27 years' male , from Asia . Bearing for my English please .
I have an unprotected vagina sex with a woman ( not CSW but one of my friends hold a open life style) . After that I did antibody tests for 42days , 56days , 90days , 115days and 135 days and all got negative result , The standard in our country is 3 months . I think I should move on . However , I find that the USA CDC give the window as 6 months , that make me crazy because I really suffer a lot these days and DO NOT want worry for another 45 days.
It's said only 97% can be detected in 3 months . How can I make sure I'm safe and do not need further test in 6 months as the local doctor told me ?
I really want to know the experts in this forum support 3 months for conclusive result or 6 months ?
Do I really need to test again for 6 months ? I'm going crazing , your help are really appreciated !

Edited by tobeabetterman (10/07/12 04:13 AM)

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
riverprincessModerator

Reged: 12/25/11
Loc: Jersey Shore
Re: Am I safe now ? new
      #267680 - 10/07/12 10:33 AM

The fact that all your tests have been coming back neg should have your mind at ease. The 6 months is only as a final test , especially for those that don't want to believe all their neg. results. There is no big deal is getting another test. You don't have to have the mindset that it's because you could finally test pos but because you just feel that its something that you need to do for yourself.

--------------------
Look up to the Heavens for the answers to Lifes questions .

tobeabetterman

#267683 - 10/07/12 11:19 AM

Sorry for my English , but I think I know what you mean basically .
In fact I really want to make my mind easy now , this thing ,the anxiety almost destroy my life .
So what‘s your advice to me , a basically healthy people I think I am , do another test in 6 months . Or just move along .
Or , what's your usually advice to people who seek help here , 12 weeks or 6 months ?
Supplement a sentence : I'm a Chinese , do the test in a hospital use 3rd ELISA import from France (for 45 days , 56 days ) ,and 3ed Electrochemical luminescence method (only antibody ) from France (for 90 days , 115 days and 135 days ) .
Thank you very much , your answer is really appreciated .

riverprincessModerator

Reged: 12/25/11
Loc: Jersey Shore
      #267685 - 10/07/12 11:24 AM

I don't understand the differences in all the testing methods that you did so I can't truly speak on those. But again it's a personal choice that only you can decide. It's a matter of what makes you feel comfortable and secure. But I can say there is no reason for all the anxiety that you create for yourself. I have this saying " Worrying is like a rocking chair, gives you something to do but doesn't get you anywhere" .

--------------------
Look up to the Heavens for the answers to Lifes questions .

tobeabetterman

#267692 - 10/07/12 11:47 AM

OK , I got it .
In fact I confused too , I know that in science we never say never , and I know it should be my decision .
Bro , I'm here to seek for help , for advice to make the decision ( frankly I want move along ) , only a question , if a person here , know nothing about HIV , need test , and what will be the guideline you provide ?
Thank you .

tobeabetterman

#267693 - 10/07/12 11:59 AM

I don't know whether I can ask another question here or do I need to post a new one .
That for many of my friends known form internet , and they all confused about this in a local forum : we know that when HIV is exposure to AIR, PH changes and temperature changes it damages the outer shell of the virus which inhibits it's ability . But how long it need ? seconds or minutes ? That very important for people who have masturbation and use genitals secretions as lubricant . some said have tiny scar or balanitis on their penis , and never got a determine answer from the forum .
Thank you very much , sorry for bother.

kicker

Reged: 10/25/10
Loc: GA, USA
      #267696 - 10/07/12 12:18 PM

The six month rule is ONLY for a very specific group of people under very specific conditions. Such as a nurse being stuck by a needle from a person known to be HIV positive, cancer patients receiving chemotherapy, and people with advanced autoimmune diseases.

You should know if you have any of those things as you would be in treatment for them none of them would be without treatment.

So since your not in that category or that 3% that means you are in the 97% and any "symptoms" you think you have or have had are all not HIV related. So move along your negative.

tobeabetterman

#267697 - 10/07/12 12:38 PM

Thank you very much ! Really !
In fact I do not have any typical "symptoms" that make me worry about . I just seek for the conclusive window period. And first I think it should be 3 months and then confused . I hear someone said similar thing in a local forum but cannot trust for some wrong information once I got from there ... Now , I got the answer here , Many people know you and I trust you , thank you !
Maybe I shouldn't pay attention on this , but just interested in why " a nurse being stuck by a needle from a person known to be HIV positive " need test for 6 months ? I don't think that can delay the action of immune system .

kicker

Reged: 10/25/10
Loc: GA, USA
      #267698 - 10/07/12 12:42 PM

It's for legal issues mostly. Also a nurse would be given antivirals right away which could delay the production of antibodies so they need to test out further just to make sure.

tobeabetterman

#267699 - 10/07/12 12:45 PM

Your answer is really clear and reliable , I do feel much much ease now .
Thank you so much !

ashler1977
Guardian

Reged: 05/18/12
Loc: Europe
      #267710 - 10/07/12 04:21 PM

Quote:

I have an unprotected vagina sex with a woman ( not CSW but one of my friends hold a open life style)

it does not matter if the person you had sex with is a CSW or not. unprotected sex is always a risk for HIV and other STI. Many people think they're most at risk with a CSW than with a friend. Wrong.

there are no risk groups, there are risk behaviours.

all your tests show you're negative. congratulations.

--------------------
Oral Sex: What's the Real Risk for HIV?
http://www.thebody.com/content/art58210.html

tobeabetterman

#267732 - 10/08/12 03:22 AM

Thank you .
Yes , you are right , and that's why I'm seeking for a conclusive time to do the test .
But as the CDC said 97% for 3 months , I'm worried and seek help here , cause English is not my mother language and It's a little difficult for me to find out the official statement about the 3% situation .
Anyhow thank you very much , I really feel very very bad these days . To be frankly , it's not easy to ease soon after such a long-term and great anxiety . But I will try my best to move along .

tobeabetterman

#268768 - 11/02/12 08:13 AM

Sir , sorry to bother you again , for some reason I do a test and in 169 days , it shows my CD4 is only 400 and CD4/CD8 is 0.62 , NK 26.6% , I also do a antibody test together , it is negative .
Can this test still be conclusive with such a poor immune system ?
If not , can I have a conclusive negative in 6 month mark ?

ashler1977
Guardian

Reged: 05/18/12
Loc: Europe
      #268769 - 11/02/12 08:57 AM

If you're concerned about your low CD4 count, why don't you go with an immunologist and ask for his advice?

--------------------
Oral Sex: What's the Real Risk for HIV?
http://www.thebody.com/content/art58210.html

tobeabetterman

#268771 - 11/02/12 09:08 AM

Thanks .
My first concern is whether I'm safe now .
And I come from a Asia country , sorry to say that I think many " immunologist " I can got in a public hospital may not a HIV expert .

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2494

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3