Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
justagirl72
Fanatic

Reged: 04/28/11
needle stick pep meds
      #255434 - 04/28/11 02:47 PM

Hi, I'm a new nurse (1yr)..on March 17th (not so lucky) I was stuck on my left index finger by an insulin needle while injecting a known HIV+ /HCV drug user pt unknown CD4 or load ct. although he seemed very wasted. I avoided using his abdomen because of a surgery and didnt want to cause him anymore pain so I chose his arm (bad choice) it went through his skin and into me. I was wearing gloves immeadiately washed my hands no visible blood on either needle or or skin(i squeezed my finger to produce blood) went down to ED and was started on pep within 4hrs..my 2nd dose was a little late but i got through 28days! ..my questions are..1 i was switch off my original meds one week post exsposure to a better regime 3 pills once a day as opposed to 13pills a day. now what do I do with my left over pills from my first set of perscription? I hate the idea of leaving them when i know the pills are exspensive and someone who is infected could use them? my 2nd question is being switch increase my chance of seroconversion? 3rd I take my first test next week im am scared and i have a year of testing a head of me : ( do i really have to wait the full year b4 anyone can say im neg for sure? I did expirence some symptoms while on the pep..no fever but night sweats and sore throught but i can say i have been exsposed to tons of colds/flus at work..so i tried not to make myself to crazy!(not working) also I have been a single parent for a long time the thought of being alone forever is depressing..plus telling my family when we have already lost my sister to AIDS 17yrs ago would kill my mom so I havent told her or them.

--------------------
Could you show me dear?
Something I've not seen.
Something infinitely interesting

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Nocturnity
Regular

Reged: 04/10/11
Loc: Cape Town, South Africa
Re: needle stick pep meds new
      #255436 - 04/28/11 04:27 PM

Hi justagirl72!

Firstly, I don't think that changing your meds after a week would have had any impact on your status. Starting at 4 hours post exposure puts you in a VERY strong position.

PEP has a really good track record in preventing transmission. As far as I understand it, the theory is that the drugs kill of the virus before it can settle in some of the reservoirs it infects. That means your chances are pretty good of having fought off infection.

I'm not entirely sure where the year-after testing business comes into play but standard practice is to get a preliminary test at 6 weeks post PEP and if that's negative, another test at 3 months post PEP. That should be considered conclusive as far as I'm aware.

I have a feeling you're going to be fine and I'll keep you in my thoughts. Please let us know how things work out for you!

Lots of love
Vern

justagirl72
Fanatic

#255437 - 04/28/11 05:05 PM

Thank you Vern,
And nice to meet you!
The year is mandated by our facility I also read that if you take pep it can delay seroconverion also if there might be a co- infection like the Hep C. I'm not sure because that was just web browsing( which I know is a no no) but anyway
what do I do with these left over pills? I hate to trash them do you think that a health dept maybe could use them? some one could use them I'm sure or should I wait to see my outcome?
I already feel the need in me to help regaurdless of my status especially as a healthcare worker and woman. I still see so much ignorance including myself..
Thank you for your support..
You be hearing from me sometime in the next week or two with my first result.

--------------------
Could you show me dear?
Something I've not seen.

kicker

Reged: 10/25/10
Loc: GA, USA
      #255440 - 04/28/11 06:01 PM

I agree with Vern, your prognosis is good not saying the worst couldn't happen, but you stand a very good chance of being negative.

As far as the pills. I am not sure where you are, but some HIV/AIDS organizations will accept them. Contact your local chapter and ask. If they don't they may have a better idea of where to go with them or whom to contact.

justagirl72
Fanatic

#255444 - 04/28/11 06:27 PM

Thanks for the response,
Def will check on that. I really can't see them going to waste especially when they are so exspensive! if it weren't for my job paying for them I wouldn't have been able to afford the pep myself.
now to conquer the deppression I've been in since the needle stick.

--------------------
Could you show me dear?
Something I've not seen.

Nocturnity
Regular

Reged: 04/10/11
Loc: Cape Town, South Africa
      #255447 - 04/29/11 01:45 AM

Hep C/HIV co-infection may cause you to take longer to produce antibodies if you are a regular injection drug user. If you shoot up regularly, your immune system will be in a severely weakened state and struggle to fight any infection. That's where the co-infection/window period thing comes from.

Your offer of help is gladly accepted. Educate yourself as much as possible about the disease and just be compassionate with positive individuals. Remember that one of the toughest things to deal with for positive people is the social stigma and (sometimes self-imposed) exclusion from interaction. Don't be scared to give someone a hug. Don't be scared to touch someone. My general physician doesn't wear gloves when examining people. He uses disinfectants to clean his hands before and after but it's the human touch that makes us feel safe and loved. Little things make a huge difference. Show people that you're not afraid of them.

That said, be careful of those needle pricks!

justagirl72
Fanatic

#255449 - 04/29/11 02:30 PM

Thank you so much for getting back to me. Now I understand the correlation between the drug use low immunity and co-infection. I am not a drug user and my first set of labs showed my immunity is in great working order (yay).
I agree with knowledge is power and 1 way to fight this disease. I for one am a great believer in touch but I still use universal precautions on everyone and give hugs when needed. I have to say since this has happened to me I can understand the psychological factors that go along with this diagnosis because I have had every emotion. But most of all I know we all need support and understanding infected or not. As human beings we need touch to heal and to feel love.
I have to say that is one of my fears if infected that I will never have that intimate touch or love again. Its hard enough meeting a straight honest man when your not infected. add in the positive factor I can see how these women get depressed!
Oh and I will be soo careful with the needle"pricks"

--------------------
Could you show me dear?
Something I've not seen.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6352

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3