Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Compromised immune system always = HIV?
      #160694 - 09/27/05 06:03 PM

I have a bacterial infection that in most people goes away within a few weeks. But I have had it for so long that my doctor says I must have a compromised immune system and said that it could be HIV. I don't know what to think. I've had 2 sexual partners in my whole life- my wife (tested neg. 2 years ago) and before that a college girlfriend eight years ago who I used condoms with every time except once or twice. And she was a virgin and while I know she could have cheated, the chances of her getting HIV and passing it on to me seem awfully low.

So I've been on the internet trying to figure out what's wrong with me and of course, this is a really bad idea. Now it seems very frightening and I wonder if I really could have it. All the websites say that chronic infections can be because of HIV/AIDS.

I just don't know what to think. I am upset and my poor wife is very upset as well.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Compromised immune system always = HIV? new
      #160695 - 09/27/05 06:47 PM

No, a compromised immune system is not always from HIV. There are many things that can cause that, and as such, you should be checked thoroughly. Secondly, you didn't mention what type of bacterial infection you have (i.e. sinus, etc) so I should also state, that many times, certain types of bacterial infections are strong little bugs and resistant to various types of medications. Sinus infections can be notoriously strong and require heavy med's and often repeat dosages. I thinkn that it was rather irresponsible of your doctor to scare you like that! I would bet that you are fine, but, for your peace of mind, go get a test. When it comes back negative you can focus on what truly is your problem and get treated accordingly.

Best of luck. Get well.
Prays!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#160697 - 09/27/05 06:56 PM

Thank you.

It's an infection in the lower intestine... yuck. Technically it's a parasite- similar to giardia. Came from working with animals ( I used to work at a horse boarding facility.)

And you're right- the doctor scared the pants off me.

Many thanks.

shadow1
Legend

Reged: 12/06/00
      #160699 - 09/27/05 09:51 PM

Are you a doctor and can diagnose yourself by reading the internet? Things that can be said that are symptoms of HIV can be attributed to many things. The only way to know for sure is to get tested, but by not going to a doctor when you are having problems thinking it can only be HIV is really stupid because it could be something that if you do not take care of it can harm you worse and faster. Reading on the internet can do you more harm than good if you are playing doctor and trying to match symptoms to an ailment.

debtex
Legend

Reged: 03/21/05
      #160700 - 09/27/05 09:56 PM

There are many things that a person could have a compromised immune system, that would have nothing to do with hiv. exactly as the anonymous poster stated, some infections are resistant to many medications. and if this infection continues coming back, it could be building up an immunity to the antibiotics.
Have you ever had a colonoscopy? (I know....no fun), but if its an intestin issue, it could be chrones disease (which can be treated), or many other things.
I would highly doubt that you have hiv, based on knowing that you have used condoms mostly with your first girlfriend (who you stated was a virgin), and your wife, who you know dont have hiv because she has been tested.

There is a patient at our clinic who came to us 3 yrs ago, all the docs were sure he had hiv, due to the illnesses he had been suffering. so they ran a tcell, viral load and hiv test (while he was an inpatient, just in case they really needed to know his #'s, they did all the tests at once). well, he turned out to be hiv negative, but never has more than 300 tcells (really, in 3 yrs, no more than 300).!! seems he has some type of meningitis (which they treat him for), but this causes his immune system to constantly run low.

please take assurance that you are fine. you and your wife should go together, really, put your mind at ease. your doctor was terribly wrong to address it in that manner. even if he did think it was hiv, he should have been much more tactful in suggesting you just take a test, to rule it out.

i wish you all the best, but everything will be fine.

love and prayers,
debbie

Anonymous
Unregistered

#160808 - 09/29/05 08:14 AM

Wishing you the best on your testing. Everyone has pretty much told you already, chances are pretty slim that this would be the reason for your immune system not acting accordingly. Be tough, these days there are many bugs that find a way to make a home within us despite treatment. Best of luck with your follow up.

Tony33716
Unregistered

#160855 - 09/29/05 10:29 PM

I'd definitely change doctors. It is very stupid and irresponsible of him/her to say something like this without anykind of backing. It is people like these that cause heart attacks.

-Tony

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8132

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3