Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

i am a prostitute.
      #100000 - 06/16/04 03:18 PM

I am a prostitute and don't know my status.
In this country where i work, nobody has to check and us professionals are left alone if we mind our business. But reading so much about aids and stuff, i feel i should get tested.But then if i come out positive what then ?

I can't switch to other profession, i don't know anything else.
I shall feel guilty to do it againg with a customer (condom breaks now and then)

on the whole i keep on posponding the test.

I guess its going to be like that. What do you feel ?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: i am a prostitute. new
      #100001 - 06/16/04 03:34 PM

Get tested. You owe it to yourself and clients. If you were positive you could still continue your profession. You would just have to make sure you use protection and you advise your clients of your status so they can protect themselves. However, I do suggest you look for another profession that would be safer for you. Good luck and God bless.

Chiquilla
Unregistered

#100004 - 06/16/04 03:41 PM

You can get tested for free (or almost free) at Planned Parenthood. It is anonymous and easy. What limits you from getting into another profession, since it sounds like you don't want to be in this one? Obviously you can write and you can use a computer. These are skills that are highly in demand.
good luck and remember that our situation does not define us. No matter what you do or what people have said to you in the past, you are a unique, wonderful person who has a lot of beauty to offer to this world. You are worth taking care of yourself and looking for the best life has to offer. You have the right to dream and work for these dreams. I work in a battered women's shelter and can offer you information about government programs that may be able to give you a hand in going to school or getting out of that job, if that's what you want. If you like this work, just get on top of your health game. There is not a thing wrong with doing what makes you happy as long as you don't hurt anyone in the process...which brings us back to the issue at hand.
Take care and let us know if we can be of help (especially with what I mentioned previously).
;)
Chiquilla

Anonymous
Unregistered

#100034 - 06/17/04 02:04 AM

It is just worth it to get tested, because if you do not get tested, I am sure you will feel guilty anyway. I know it is really hard to take those first steps toward getting tested, but you just gotta keep trying. Although it seems like "ignorance is bliss" will work in this situation, it's not the way it really is. You are just going to keep looking up info on HIV and AIDS and drive yourself nuts. You are not alone when you say it's hard, most people have trouble finding the courage to get tested, but you can do it! Good luck and perhaps one day you can get into a profession which will not put you through such worries!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#100035 - 06/17/04 04:20 AM

Hi,

at least in my country (Germany), the prevalence of HIV among non-IDU prostitutes is very low, in the sense of being barely higher than the low general population baseline of 0.1 percent. Obviously, this is due to protected sex really being protected, as Dr. Bob would put it, and therefore if being a prostitute offering protected intercourse was your only risk factor for exposure to HIV, then I guess you'll be fine.
That said, if you have not done so already, I would suggest that you get vaccinated against Hepatitis B, because Hep-B is way more contagious than HIV, and hence the risk of Hep-B infection from those occasional condom breaks would be more of a threat than HIV exposure. Because people who do not clear Hep-B by their own devices (which however most who contract the virus manage to do) suffer from a life-threatening condition for the rest of their lives and actually have less treatment options than HIV-positives, it would certainly be valuable to your staying healthy to establish a second line of defense here.
Also, I'd recommend, if you don't do this already, that you start getting a full STD screen regularly. Antibiotics are highly effective in curing the bacterial ones, and even relatively harmless STD's like Chlamydia can have dangerous long-term consequences if they go untreated, especially if you're female.
In the unlikely event that you're positive, being a customer to prostitutes myself, I'm not sure that I would expect you to quit your current job if you don't have decent alternatives, at least not on the spot (I've been a long-term customer of prostitutes myself, so this is not just abstract talking unrelated to my own life on my part). Serodiscordant couples have a very low risk of infecting their partners, and because of this I think that by using extra-strong condoms, you could in this case avoid infecting a customer until you've had enough time to find something new to live off.
But, I don't think this will happen, and would be delighted to receive an HIV-negative-wooohooo from you as soon as possible!

Kind regards,
Anonymous

Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi German guy-Re: i am a prostitute. new
      #100041 - 06/17/04 09:10 AM

You talk sense, Get registered and get a username( Maybe GermanGuy), You will be usefull to this forum as you are a positive thinker. Read Chiquillas Post.

I am going to register as well.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#100153 - 06/19/04 07:23 PM

It doesn't matter what you do for a living..you are a human being and regardless of what you do you need to know your status...so that if you are infected you can get medical help and live...being a prostitute is what you say is all you know how to do?? i don't think so you sound like you are smart enough to know you are at risk..and i know you can do something else..get tested and take it from there..and never give up on yourself..you matter to me......

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4817

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3