#256196 - 06/15/11 07:18 AM

Post deleted by njpozdad

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kicker

Reged: 10/25/10
Loc: GA, USA
Re: Disclosure of HIV status without permission new
      #256203 - 06/15/11 12:18 PM

Have you asked them why they feel the need to air the laundry? It could be that they don't see it as a big deal and just an illness and are doing it under good intentions (best case) or see it as a form of retribution (worse case).

If it's under the best case you can simply say that you would prefer that they did not, because you see it as a personal matter.

If it's under the worse case I would remind them what liability is. That if it directly harms you for their loose lips that you can hold them liable in law. For example if you are employed and it cost you or your company a client then they could be held responsible.

I would speak with an attorney and find out what the details are for liable lawsuits and go to them with it. Some states allow you to sue if there is emotional distress caused by the loose lips party. Remind them that they are treading on very thin ice especially since HIV is covered under the AWDA.

As far as when someone comes to you and asks if this is true, you can just smile and say something like, "My wife's/ex's family, the lengths they won't go." And leave it at that. You're not being dishonest and most people will see that as there is turmoil between you and them (the family) and they (the family) are being nasty.

iam1
Fanatic

Reged: 06/17/09
Loc: Georgia
Re: Disclosure of HIV status without permission new
      #256276 - 06/22/11 02:43 AM

Welcome to the world of "Why did you feel the need to tell someone else about me when it doesn't even affect you?"

Unfortunately, there is no legal restriction from someone in general discussing anything they've heard or thought they've heard.

There is HIPAA which restricts some people from discussing or disclosing whether or not you're even HIV+. Do a search for it on this website to get some guidance in how it affects you and your HIV status.

I work parttime at an HIV transitional housing facility. When asked I don't know anyone who lives there. And, the facility itself is just housing. Phone callers for clients are told that there is noone there by that name. Doesn't matter if the person is standing right next to me. The clients have a phone in their room and are told to give the room number, so people can call them directly.

I've gotten "politically" good at not answering questions. I can obfuscate with the best of them!

But, and this is something else that is stressed to the clients, anyone else who lives there who is not employed by the facility can disclose to any third party any "information" they want be it correct or incorrect.

Your wife's family are just being ignorant asses. Confront them and ask them why they feel the need to discuss with the rest of the world your personal health issues. But, there is next to nothing you can do to prevent them from opening their mouths and spouting garbage.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3043

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3