Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Gay Men

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Anonymous
Unregistered

17 years positive
      #168404 - 01/02/06 09:31 PM

i started counting the years yesterday and realized i have been positive for 17 years. believe it or not, i have never had an OI. i started meds in 1996 and although i suffer from depression and sexual dysfuntion i am essentially healthy. are there any other long termers out there with simillar experiences?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
jenn
Guardian

Reged: 09/14/05
Re: 17 years positive new
      #168423 - 01/03/06 12:33 AM

Bravo!!!! Eric, you reading this?!!!!

Bear60
Legend

Reged: 12/21/05
      #168455 - 01/03/06 08:02 AM

sixteen years and counting, here!!!

--------------------
6 ft tall poz bear in Philadelphia

terryA

Reged: 03/18/05
Loc: San Leandro, CA., usa
      #168458 - 01/03/06 09:25 AM

Congrats, that's great. And about the depression and disfunction...Don't be afraid to push your doctors to help you with them. Sometimes doctors need a kick in the butt to wake them up. I had to get sleeping pills because the meds were giving me ensomnia, for lack of sleep will make you depressed. And, then I had to switch anti-depressants, because they were to strong and caused the sexual disfunction.

--------------------
Terry Aleith

Anonymous
Unregistered

#168504 - 01/03/06 11:34 AM

I would love to contact you. I too am like you..living with HIV for almost 20 years. What's your email address?

Anonymous
Unregistered

#168619 - 01/04/06 01:49 AM

Somewhat similar, but 1 major OI and on meds since '98.

20+ year HIV/AIDS, and at this juncture, same major complaints as you have. Meds probably are the cause of both of your problems (I share those). From everything I can tell, medications are not helpful with the sex life or the mental health many times.

Sometimes it is vitamin/mineral depletion caused by the medications, or, partially in my case, difficulty in sleeping a decent nights sleep. Kills sex response (not really desire) and exaserbates (sp) depressions. Talk to your MD, as it may just be as simple as supplements and acid blockers to help with the sleep issue and well being.

Be sure to watch your blood sugar levels on your blood tests - the meds can mess it up with too high or low blood sugar. Both well known to cause sexual disfunction as well as emotional discomfort.

More good years to you!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#168694 - 01/04/06 06:14 PM

I figure it was 1979-80 for me, shooting up and doing the baths in NYC. Sober since 1984 and except for very low t-cells before the cocktail, I've never been sick. No thrush, pcp, nothing. My major complaint is some limb fat loss (not severe and probably from the AZT), but otherwise, perfect health. Low sex drive: have your testosterone level checked. Very easy to treat. Depression: It happens, but also can be treated, but start with the basics: exercise, diet, sleep, and active social life. These 4 things are often overlooked and can make a huge difference. Just turned 49 and my life couldn't be sweeter. Great health to all of you.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#168729 - 01/04/06 10:02 PM

Diagnosed in 1983, and refused drugs until I "crashed" in 1993 . In think I was stupid and lucky, but no major complaints so far. 44 and going strong! You are all an inspiration to me! Thanks!

Survivor
Legend

Reged: 10/30/05
Loc: Get off the fence and live again!
      #168736 - 01/04/06 11:11 PM

Man this is way kewl!

Yes Jenn yes..

Can I come over and visit you people and ask how you did it? I will mow your lawn, take out the garbage and dust. Can I have the secret to getting on with life?
Can I have the secret of not worring about everything?
Can I have the secret of faith that things will work out?
Can I have the secret that you probably didnt know I need?

I am so happy to have tripped over this thread. May my tripping bash my head back to normal...

Bless all of you...

jenn
Guardian

Reged: 09/14/05
      #168739 - 01/04/06 11:35 PM

Eric,
I think we will invite all these people to your wedding......!

Jenn

Anonymous
Unregistered

#168750 - 01/05/06 02:33 AM

Matt Nikos here (just joined, so it wouldn't let me sign on with my username yet). 1984 for me, which means poz for 22 years in August. Never had a major problem, other than lipodystrophy, now being treated with Sculptra (Friday's my third series of injections).

Anonymous
Unregistered

#168778 - 01/05/06 10:09 AM

I am not 100% sure of the month I sero converted but I believe that July 2006 I will be positive for 20 years and completely sympton/disease free. What's more I haven't taken medication of any kind for almost ten years. I can accept this fluke, so to speak, but from time to time it does stymie me, especially since I have worked with people with HIV/AIDS for 19 years. What makes it even more chalangeing is that my partner has been positive almost as long as I have been and he has been on medication the entire time - and has to bare the unfornate side effects of lipodystophy. I see my doctor regularly and my numbers stay the same. I have asked him about the percentage of nonprogressors in his pratice. He tells me that they exist but in a very small number, maybe 6 men out of his entire practice which is almost exclusively gay men.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#168779 - 01/05/06 10:12 AM

Matt, can I ask you how the sculptura is going for you. My partner is planning to start treatment and all I have is the doctors info, no ohter first hand accounts. Are you pleased with the way you look and is it comfortable.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#168872 - 01/05/06 04:40 PM

I am very happy for you. Can you tell me what types of food do you eat? do you take supplements? How is your mental outlook?

I am curious cause I beleve a healthy diet, support a positive outlook and good genes help in the fight

Anonymous
Unregistered

#169014 - 01/06/06 11:26 PM

Matt here...I still can't sign in under my name, but here's my response: Re the Sculptra, today was my third treatment (I've gone about every six weeks). So far, I don't see any results, but the doctor told me today that it's not uncommon to not see any activity until the third or fourth treatment. If you're interested in the regimen, here it is: first, they have you wash your face really well, then the nurse slathers your face in a topical anesthetic. After 15 minutes or so (to let it take effect) the doctor comes in and draws lines on your face with a 'Sharpie' pen (to give him guidelines for where he will inject). Then he injects little bits of the Sculptra into those areas. The needle is very fine, and though it isn't painless, it's no sweat, and I'm a big sissy when it comes to pain. I think he probably makes about 50-75 injections total, including cheeks, upper lip (mustache line), and temples. You bleed a little bit at some of the sites, but not much; the nurse keeps you wiped off. I am on a daily .81 mg aspirin, and they told me to stop that about a week before each treatment, but I haven't stopped it and there isn't any excessive bleeding. After the treatment, your face is swollen (not bad, actually; pretty much like I looked before the dystrophy). There is some tenderness after the gel wears off, sort of like your arm after a flu shot, but not bad. By the way, different doctors may have different regimens, but this is what mine has been like so far. I have Kaiser Health Care (and I'm thankful for them every day of my life, including my 21+ years of HIV!!!)
Matt

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 21331

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3