Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Past Forums (read only) >> Coping With HIV

Pages: 1
nibbler

Reged: 08/17/10
It only took 5 years...
      #251677 - 08/17/10 01:15 PM

Well, I've been positive for nearly 5 years now. My dearest friend tested positive just this past Friday. It made me realize that this whole time, I had never actually dealt with the fact that I was positive and has brought it all back up to the surface.

For the first six months, I was tested, got my labs, even took the pills. But after the initial six months, I blocked it out. I knew I had it, but I never discussed it, stopped getting my labs done and stopped any type of romantic involvement just so I wouldn't have to bring it back up.

Today I made the call. While trying to help my friend deal with his diagnosis I have found doctors, information and even called my old doctor for my lab history...which is scaring the hell out of me by the way. I know nothing about the numbers. What they mean, if all the little things wrong with me are a direct result and/or if they will go away if I start taking meds. But I took the first step today...I'm going to start dealing with this bitch, and I'm not going down without a fight.

I realize this isn't an answer as to how to cope with HIV/AIDS...but my hope is that it may help someone else make the decision to at least start trying.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jackie__Blue
Legend

Reged: 01/20/07
Re: It only took 5 years... new
      #251682 - 08/17/10 08:55 PM

I've put HIV on the back burner from time to time. Been living with it for 14 years. Sometimes it's just more on a plate that is already full. Good news is it's isn't just us High Fivers that do this. Managing a chronic disease isn't easy for anyone.

Baby steps. You can say...I took my meds today. I got my labs done this week. Those are postive steps toward managing this thing. The truth is that actual management of HIV, doctor's appts, medications, etc isn't that much. It's the whole mental thing that goes with it that sometimes seems insurmoutable. That's why it's sometimes important to put it aside and not look at the whole picture, of dealing with this for decades and just look at what you did that was good for you today.

Deal with what you need to do. It's good to get in and get some labls done. It's always better to deal with fresh information. Remember that HIV moves pretty slow for the most part, so there is rarely a need to rush to any medical decision.

nibbler

#251689 - 08/18/10 11:26 AM

Thank you for your words of wisdom Esmerelda! They came in handy today :=) I think I had a mental breakdown this morning and snapped just a little bit. There's a lot going on and now probably wasn't the best time to revisit my health care needs...but you're right...baby steps!

iam1
Fanatic

Reged: 06/17/09
Loc: Georgia
      #251715 - 08/20/10 01:42 AM

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! You are now entering the world of HIV/AIDS. It's a world most of wish could be lost in time, but it exists.

I can't say for certain, but if you're still alive after having ignored your disease for 5 years chances are that you're going to live. What helps me with this assumption is that you're cognizant and starting to make rational decisions.

Yes, HIV is a disease. And, yes, this disease needs to be followed and treated fairly strongly. But, with today's medications and knowledge you're probably not going to die anytime soon. Not as a result of your HIV anyhow. You've always gotta watch out for those busses falling out of the sky!!!

I make light of it, because I'm from a far different age of HIV. I'm one of the old timers. One of those who was infected WAY back before there was any treatment. Yes, too many people died. (Still too many people die!) But, several of us have lived and continue to live. We've even started coming out of our cave dwellings at night when the sun goes down and the crowds of people disperse.

Now that you've decided to start getting treatment (hopefully on a regular basis) you need to learn about this disease. I can't think of a better place for information than this website. Stick around and read. Not all day everyday. But, pick one or two articles a day and read them. They don't have to be long articles. Just words that impart information unto you. After a month's time you'll be surprised at how much more you know. And, about that time you'll start to find yourself searching for particular information rather than general knowledge.

As I tell my local support group - HIV/AIDS is a vibrant, growing, living field! There is something new every week. You have to be proactive in trying to keep up with some of all the new info coming out. It's not going to just flop into your lap.

Continue to fight this bitch! Don't let it get you!

nibbler

#251721 - 08/20/10 06:17 PM

Got my lab results today and filled my Rx for atripla. The counts weren't as bad as I thought they'd be. 301/16663. The Dr said in about a month all of my little ailments should be taken care of and she'll deal with the ones that haven't disappeared by themselves. Hopefully soon, it wont feel like my body is rejecting its self

Jackie__Blue
Legend

Reged: 01/20/07
      #251722 - 08/20/10 06:27 PM

I bet you get that viral load down in no time! I'm glad you took some proactive steps in managining this thing.

adam490

Reged: 08/25/10
      #251814 - 08/25/10 04:08 PM

I knew I was positive 20 years ago when my partner and I moved to Virginia. I was so busy taking care of him and others that I just ignored the entire situation.

I re-entered care 8 months ago; stated on and currently using Atripla. It is a good agent, just a few side effects that have passed. Be encouraged and before you know anything you will be surprised at the progress.

Keep on smiling, and trust me, it is OK to have a breakdown every now and then.

alive2
Guardian

Reged: 03/08/07
      #251884 - 08/29/10 05:15 AM

well you are the only one who can deceide,your treatment, but to me i would never want to come off the meds unless the doc knows and says its ok if numbers are all good.
as for have the well up of emotion i guess it would seem to be normal as you said you learned to block it out.
my way is to just think of the pills as vitamins, and all the lab work and doc visits as my way of being a hypocondriac. mental ways to cope, always seem to make life easier.
take care

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7862

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3

Advertisement